The MT-07 Forum

battery tender question

maalna2

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

What aux plug are you referring to?

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

If you have a AUX you can charge it that way in most cases.

On a related note I don't like to leave my tender on any battery for a long time I turn mine on every few weeks for a day or 2 and that is it. I've had several cars that sat for over 6 months and all I did was unhook the battery and never had an issue with batteries(no tender).

The best way to charge a battery is when it is unhooked IMO I have no real proof but if you have a power serge or something of that nature it could effect the electronics in a negative way.
I also have a boat and all I do it pull the battery in the fall and charge it up for a day before we put it back in and the battery is over 10 years old.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Global Moderator

I think the aux plug is switched. If it is wouldn't you have to have the key on for it to work to charge the battery?

Hippe, I think I read about one in the owners manual. I ask because this person I work with has a 12v plug that he just plugs his into to charge on his motorcycle.

• Global Moderator

There is an aux plug hidden behind the left tank panel. I have not taken my bike apart yet to see, but others here say it exists. When I install my electronic flasher relay after Christmas I am planning on finding it as they are both in the same area.

I think the aux plug is switched. If it is wouldn't you have to have the key on for it to work to charge the battery?
Yep, it's switched with the key, so not a good option for a charger. I'm using that plug to drive my LED voltmeter.  
Most chargers come with an SAE pigtail like this http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ. You'd wire this directly to the battery ( fused at the + terminal) and then you can plug the charger in to that pigtail. There's some space on the right side to thread that pigtail thru and cable tied somewhere within reach. This is what I did when mine was new. 

Since then, I wired up a BMW style socket from Powerlet and use it both for the charger as well as my heated gear. 

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/Powerlet_zps0a56021e.jpg

Most chargers come with an SAE pigtail like this http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ.
I have the same one on my FZ07. Its easy to instal on the battery leads and ready to plug to any accessories with the same terminal (including the Tender). 

Archived