The MT-07 Forum

New helmet size advice

00RAH

If you're buying a new helmet here are 2 tips that can ensure you get the right fit

1. Bring a pair of sunglasses to fit into the helmet . You should be able to wear sunglasses inside the helmet with no pain on your temples. 

2.Chew some gum, chewing gum while wearing a helmet that is too tight will get painful very fast.

Bonus tip for new riders:

Learn to ride with your visor open

(while wearing sunglasses, protect your eyes!!) 

you can shut the visor on the highway when you need speed but when youre still new, ride with your visor open.

The wind buffeting on your face will teach you to be aware of your surroundings. And to be considerate of other potential hazards (cars)

You will lose the feeling of invincibility with your visor open.

images (3).jpeg

Edited by 00RAH
  • Like 1

Now for a bit more - 

• Hot spot - a point where the helmet fit is such that the soft foam is totally compressed and the pressure on your scalp pinches off capillaries causing a burning sensation.   This is not what you want.
  • Try helmets on at shows or dealerships to see how they fit.  The fit must be tight but not instantly painful.  It should be tight enough that when you rock it fore and aft the skin on your forhead will move, side to side it will not slide on your head.  Soft padding will slightly break in, but the general fit must be without any pain due to bad shape for your head.   
  • Now with helmets the cheek pads will be pinching in on your face, again shouldn't be painful, but until the soft padding breaks in to fit you don't want to chew gum, you'll probably bite the inside of your mouth.   If the helmet passes the TV test the cheek foam will break in and be comfortable after a couple hundred miles or so.   
  • The TV test - You cannot return a helmet with bug splat or hair product in it.   So once you think you have the right fit go home, wash your hair/scalp, turn on the TV, put on the helmet, sit down and watch about an hour's worth of TV.  If you don't experience any hot spots or any pain due to fit you have the right helmet.  If it has hot spots it is clean and returnable without issue.
  • Small hot spots can be taken care of if you can't find a good fit.   Figure out where the hot spot is, roll back or remove the liner and use some 80 grit sand paper to sand a small amount of the EPS away, probably less than 1/8" or a couple mm.   Don't go nuts, you can always sand off a bit more, but you can't put it back.  Sanding will not compress the EPS, smashing with a spoon or other device will compress the foam.  You lose that small bit you sand for protection, but with the spoon you compress and make a dense spot in the liner.
  • If you find a good fit you might consider staying with that brand, still doing the TV test on any new ones.  I have a near perfect fit for Bell and HJC helmets, probably Arai too, but Shoei and AGV not so good.   So I stay with Bell now.
Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

Weather permitting, I still ride with my visor up pretty much anytime in doing less that 55-60mph. I have a Rf1200 and that’s about the speed the whistling inside the helmet starts to annoy me otherwise I’d probably only put it down on the freeway.

The glasses thing is great advice. I wear glasses/contacts and have a slight sun glasses addiction so one way or another they’re always on my face. I had a helmet years ago that would squeeze the arms into my head and leave massive canyons on the sides of my head. You definitely don’t wanna go spend hundreds to come home and find out your helmet constantly tries to break your glasses….

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Proper fit is the most important criterion for buying a helmet so know your head shape. There are three: long oval; intermediate oval; and round. Intermediate oval is the most common and many helmets are manufactured to fit this head shape.

I'm a long oval although some intermediate oval helmets are long enough, front to back, to fit me well. Intermediate oval helmets that are on the rounder end of the spectrum, like  most Shoei helmets, I can't wear; either I get a hot spot on my forehead or the helmet is too big on the sides of my head. Too bad, they make some excellent helmets; just not for me.

Some on-line retailers, most notably

og_image-1758fc38b821432ac2d7bd92a55ddf8

Shop Motorcycle Helmets By Color, Category & More. Free Shipping on Orders Over $40. Expert Gear Advice From Riders.

allows you to filter helmets by their shape. They also accommodate returns, which is really helpful when you need to buy a helmet you can't try on first.  When new, a helmet should fit as snugly as possible, without causing actual discomfort. The soft foam will compact some as you wear the helmet, so plan for this in your sizing choice.

After fit, get as safe a helmet as you can.  Go here:

Welcome to SHARP, the Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme, a scheme to help motorcyclists make an informed...

I used to limit myself to Snell-approved helmets. I don't any longer because Snell's motorcycle standard no longer results in the safest helmets.  I'd really like to get an FIM-approved helmet  but the AGV doesn't fit me, no matter what, and the HJC RPHA 1N hasn't been available in a medium or large (I'm one or the other). I recently bought my second HJC RPHA 11 Pro ; my first is now too old. Fits well, has excellent ventilation, shield is easy to swap, its lighter than most, and it doesn't shove my head around with buffeting at 100+ mph.

• Global Moderator

and it's got to have a Sgt Schultz spike on top, something to skewer brds that err on their flight path

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've never actually tried this myself, but I've read that taking the cheek pads out of a helmet and putting it on will let you know if that helmet shape and your head shape are compatible. Some brands out there claim their helmet shapes are for intermediate oval, but there might be some variance from brand to brand (i.e. Shoei intermediate oval may not be the same as Arai or Bell). 

Plus, a lot of helmets come with different size cheek pads now so if the overall shape of the helmet is good, the fit can be fine tuned with different sized cheek pads. 

M. Hausknecht
Just now, 7fold said:

I've never actually tried this myself, but I've read that taking the cheek pads out of a helmet and putting it on will let you know if that helmet shape and your head shape are compatible. Some brands out there claim their helmet shapes are for intermediate oval, but there might be some variance from brand to brand (i.e. Shoei intermediate oval may not be the same as Arai or Bell). 

Plus, a lot of helmets come with different size cheek pads now so if the overall shape of the helmet is good, the fit can be fine tuned with different sized cheek pads. 

That makes a lot of sense when you can try a helmet on before buying. My challenge has been finding suitable helmets to try on without having to drive hours to a shop.

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

That makes a lot of sense when you can try a helmet on before buying. My challenge has been finding suitable helmets to try on without having to drive hours to a shop.

Ah - that makes a lot of sense haha. There's a potential option for that - there's a site called lid picker (not sure if I'm allowed to link it, but if you just Google it, it'll come up). They have a kit with a tape measure and some calipers they sell. You take your measurements, send them over and they give you a list of helmets that are likely to fit based on your head measurements vs. the inside dimensions of each helmet. 

The results are a little misleading, but it might help you narrow down brands/helmets that just straight up won't fit. For example, in the Shoei RF1200 I've had for years, they said a large would fit me better, but I've been wearing a medium with no comfort issues or hot spots. They do highlight some optimal fits, but that doesn't necessarily mean helmets of a different size are completely out of the question since your measurements (front to back or side to side) may still be within that size range. 

nozeitgeist1800

i like cycle gear for fitting, then finding what fit online for significantly cheaper. i really liked the venom helmet from hjc - 

hjcrpha11_pro_anti_venom_helmet_black_re

Originally built for the racetrack, the RPHA 11 Pro is HJC’s premium sport helmet, designed with an aerodynamic shell structure for...

but cycle gear / revzilla are so proud of it that i cant justify their price tag. but i was able to make sure that the helmet did actually fit in store and was able to find it online for $400, a much more palatable number.  

Just now, nozeitgeist1800 said:

i like cycle gear for fitting, then finding what fit online for significantly cheaper. i really liked the venom helmet from hjc - 

hjcrpha11_pro_anti_venom_helmet_black_re

Originally built for the racetrack, the RPHA 11 Pro is HJC’s premium sport helmet, designed with an aerodynamic shell structure for...

but cycle gear / revzilla are so proud of it that i cant justify their price tag. but i was able to make sure that the helmet did actually fit in store and was able to find it online for $400, a much more palatable number.  

I was just talking with the dealer owner where I do my parts and bought my bike.   One thing you are missing out on would be to go to a local preferred dealer or shop once you know your cheap online price and ask if they can get you that helmet for similar money.   

Why a dealer/shop?  If there is something wrong with the helmet or you find it isn't the proper fit you can usually return it without waiting for an RO number.  You take it back to them and get the right thing.   This is something that can be done mainly at smaller dealerships and shops, not the big ones.   I just did that with dual sport tires and bought them for the price I wanted.  I've done the same with some of my helmets.  It can't hurt to ask, worst case they won't do it, best case you just spent your money in your area supporting local people.   Not a bad thing to do when one can.

I don't do all my purchases at the dealer, but I will when I can.   

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

nozeitgeist1800
Just now, klx678 said:

I was just talking with the dealer owner where I do my parts and bought my bike.   One thing you are missing out on would be to go to the dealer once you know your cheap online price and ask if they can get you that helmet for similar money.   Why a dealer?  If there is something wrong with the helmet or you find it isn't the proper fit you can usually return it without waiting for an RO number.  You take it back to them.   This is something that can be done at smaller dealerships, not the big ones.   I just did that with dual sport tires and bought them for the price I wanted.  I've done the same with some of my helmets.  It can't hurt to ask, worst case they won't do it, best case you just spent your money in your area supporting local people.   Not a bad thing to do when one can.

I don't do all my purchases at the dealer, but I will when I can.   

i never even thought of a dealer for the helmet, but ive definitely had some great experiences with the local yamaha dealer for getting aftermarket parts significantly cheaper than i could find online

It certainly can't hurt.   I don't tell them I'm shopping online, I just ask if they can get what I want and the price I'd like to pay.   I give them the time to check their sources.   At one shop where I used to work I wanted a KBC Racer1 and it was available for $199 online.  I told my friend the parts manager I'd like a Racer1 and would pay $220 (worth $20 to deal with them).   A month later my friend says, "We got your helmet."   I asked how much and he said $189.   Again worst case, they say they can't do it, best case you get the deal close to home and support your local shop.  Doesn't have to be a dealership, an independent will work for you too.   

• Global Moderator

I used lidpicker.com when I bought my last helmet and it worked great.  They send you a kit to take measurements of your head and then give a list of helmets that will fit the best.  It costs $20, but I think it was worth it.  I got a helmet that fits well without having to do any returns. . 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought of 2 more things,

1.check your blind spots wearing the helmet. Sometimes the chin will foul on your shoulder, small issue yes but it can get annoying.

2.if your hunched over on a sport bike your head might be tilted back, so you might want a helmet that doesnt block the space between your neck and back, and also lets you see clearly out the top of the visor.

Wouldn't it be nice if helmet manufacturers gave more than just a "size".   Give a width side to side and a length front to back.  It could be a bit of a range, but it would definitely help get a good fit.   I remember some rider made a sort of caliper out of either cardboard or card stock to measure their head.   With a bit of help from a friend or family member it wouldn't be hard to do the job.   

Like this, but with soft tips:

51musqhXCxL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Set caliper to head width or length then measure it.   

My four eyes complicates things.  Usually I modify the helmet, by trimming a small portion of foam cushioning around the temple, to make an unhindered path for my glasses.  This saved me from buying new pairs of glasses, from broken hinges, lol.

• Global Moderator
Just now, klx678 said:

Wouldn't it be nice if helmet manufacturers gave more than just a "size".   Give a width side to side and a length front to back.  It could be a bit of a range, but it would definitely help get a good fit.   I remember some rider made a sort of caliper out of either cardboard or card stock to measure their head.   With a bit of help from a friend or family member it wouldn't be hard to do the job.   

Like this, but with soft tips:

51musqhXCxL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Set caliper to head width or length then measure it.   

That is what lidpicker.com does. They send calipers and have a database of helmet widths and lengths.  It worked great for me and my very oval head. 

Do they have the specs for the helmets too?   I think that was what the other rider was talking about, but I don't remember if helmet size specs were given.   

I'm fortunate, I fit Bell helmets like a glove and do okay with most HJC too.

• Global Moderator
18 hours ago, klx678 said:

Do they have the specs for the helmets too?   I think that was what the other rider was talking about, but I don't remember if helmet size specs were given.   

I'm fortunate, I fit Bell helmets like a glove and do okay with most HJC too.

Yes, I sent them my measurements and they sent a very long list of helmets (it has been a while but I think the list had width and length measurements for the helmets) and showed the ones that would fit my head size the best.  As I have a very oval head there were not a lot of options, but the Arai I bought fits perfectly.  

Didn't realize that, pretty cool.  Probably worth the cost to have it done, but really the helmet companies should give the information.

Buy a plain black or plain white helmet, then u can draw on it however u like.

Like this Austin Powers themed helmet

Use paint thinner to wipe the 'canvas' when youre ready for a new design haha

Screenshot_20220917-205621_Gallery.jpg

Edited by 00RAH