The MT-07 Forum

Generator Rotor removal - Flywheel Puller

TurboGlizda

TurboGlizda

Hey everyone! I recently damaged my generator rotor, so im in need of replacing it. Does anyone have experience removing the generator rotor, and how exactly do you do it? I have read the service manual, but it doesnt really go in depth. What flywheel puller did you end up using, if it wasnt the $350+ oem yamaha flywheel puller. any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. I've its a pain, and im scared of damaging my crank. Thank you!image.thumb.png.23a9f278516327b9ce355552ae537fc0.png tried to take it off, This is what im trying to remove, for reference ^^^

I haven't needed to pull mine, but it looks like a generic puller like this would work.  This isn't a recommendation, just the general idea of what I'd probably look for.  Be sure what what you get is the right size for the job.  This one says it's about 3" in diameter.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOKAY-Universal-Flywheel-Snowmobile-Kawasaki/dp/B0789HBP1M/ref=psdc_15690151_t1_B014VG20JM

If you don't mind a little work, you could make one.  I recently had to pull the  harmonic balancer on my boat engine, and I used this, which I made a few decades ago, and modified for different applications:

home_made_puller.jpg

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Thanks 1

This is what I made to do the job when I pulled my fly wheel and the other is the cheap tool I later bought in case I needed to do it or a similar job again.

826A3A16-523E-453B-B92E-893FFED9C94B.jpeg

D519DF49-46A7-4003-BFB8-3A67E2C01719.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Global Moderator

Some of the local auto parts stores have tools they lend.  I have borrowed a spring compressor before.  They put an authorization on your credit card and then remove it when you return the tool.  I am not sure if a rotor puller is something that might be available, but it is worth a phone call.  

• Thanks 1

TurboGlizda
Just now, AP996 said:

This is what I made to do the job when I pulled my fly wheel and the other is the cheap tool I later bought in case I needed to do it or a similar job again.

826A3A16-523E-453B-B92E-893FFED9C94B.jpeg

D519DF49-46A7-4003-BFB8-3A67E2C01719.jpeg

So does the flywheel puller bolt go into the generator rotor hole, or does it just push on the rim of the generator rotor hole?

Sometimes you can leave the rotor's center bolt in place, but backed out a little, and push on that.  Otherwise you need something for the puller bolt to push against other than the crankshaft threads. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TurboGlizda said:

So does the flywheel puller bolt go into the generator rotor hole, or does it just push on the rim of the generator rotor hole?

As @Triple Jim said, you need something between the puller bolt and the end of the crank.

My flywheel came off without a great deal of effort.