The MT-07 Forum

The Left handlebar switch and my wire connector woes.

acupofmilk

Hello!

I've been having an intermittent problem with my turn signals for a while now. I finally decided to replace the left handle bar switch and I like to be frugal so I bought a decent "universal" cheaper alternative to the OEM part. I've done a fair amount of rewiring things in cars and my previous bikes so I figured out what wire went where relatively quickly. My issue, however, is that I have a serious affliction that I've diagnosed myself. It's a SEVERE case of Butterfingersitis. This caused me to drop (and subsequently lose) one of the female wire terminals that secure the wires coming out of the switch into the 10-pin harness connector. I do my soldering at my desk, in my living room. Combine that with a wife who likes to vacuum and kids running around? It's gone...

I have a few spare connectors from the last few years lying around and none of them come close to fitting properly. I've noticed that the original connectors from Yamaha don't have the normal tab/tang on the back of the terminal to lock-in to the harness connector. Instead, this has been built into the plastic housing itself. I can't find any information on what connector I need to source to have a fully functioning switch.

Does anyone know what I should search for? It feels like I've been to every electronics supplier's website to no avail. Until then I'll use the connector from the Hi-Beam switch as I never ride when it's not full sun due to my work schedule and a general unwillingness to ride in rain due to some close calls with r/idiotsincars, but i REALLY want a fully functioning switch.

Thanks!

nozeitgeist1800

you could also try looking on partzilla. theyve got almost every part that goes into our bikes, im sure theyve got something there

I think your first mistake is not going OEM.  I really hate that Yamaha has their own proprietary AUX connector, unlike a standard wire two pin connector.

Just now, mtechdan said:

I think your first mistake is not going OEM.  I really hate that Yamaha has their own proprietary AUX connector, unlike a standard wire two pin connector.

I don't think they're proprietary... just uncommon.  I got a couple of those connectors from cycleterminal.com

From member No Hater in the thread below, the part number is "Male MT090-2".

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

I have my original switch from my 2017 FZ  07. 

Switch, Handle 4

1WS-83972-01-00

You can have it for $60.00 + shipping.