The MT-07 Forum

Rear shock link bolts

Crazyaust

So I’ve done a lot of messing around with my rear shock from trying new links, shocks, etc so I’ve used tf out of the bolts and had to buy new ones already. The first time couldn’t find lock nuts so I bought some flanged nuts and after a while I noticed they were creeping out so today while I was replacing rear tire I decided to change out the nuts with nylon lock nuts. They were pretty tight to get on and pretty thick so the bolts barely come through the nut and I’m planing on going to lean back pretty soon and I don’t want to worry while I’m down there. What I’m asking, is there alot of movement on these bolts? Who’ll I have to worry about the nylon lock nuts coming loose like the others did? Believe they’re like m10’s with 17mm nut little bigger then the 14 m10’s that it came with

image.jpg

M. Hausknecht

These fasteners are performing critical functions. I'd get stock replacements. The full length threads on the bolts are not good bearing surfaces and are going to tend to grind/cut the stuff that rotate on them. The nuts should have washers if you can't find suitable flanged nuts. The grooves on your flanged nuts are also going to do some grinding.  Are you using a torque wrench?    

Edited by M. Hausknecht
  • Like 3

Also, the various fastener grades available add complication to choosing good ones for the job. 

Bolt-Grades-101.png

• Like 1

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

These fasteners are performing critical functions. I'd get stock replacements. The full length threads on the bolts are not good bearing surfaces and are going to tend to grind/cut the stuff that rotate on them. The nuts should have washers if you can't find suitable flanged nuts. The grooves on your flanged nuts are also going to do some grinding.  Are you using a torque wrench?    

I choose the right bolts same length and same amount of threads just having difficulty with the nuts. I am using washers. I’d show up what I’m using on the bike but it’s at gf house 

edit: just decided to spend 35 bucks for the nutz and bolts they were out of stock of one but I grabbed 3 nutz and the two other bolts oem

Bolt 90105-10212-00 Nut 95602-10200-00 Bolt 90105-10283-00 Nut 95602-10200-00

Edited by Crazyaust

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Crazyaust said:

I choose the right bolts same length and same amount of threads just having difficulty with the nuts. I am using washers. I’d show up what I’m using on the bike but it’s at gf house 

edit: just decided to spend 35 bucks for the nutz and bolts they were out of stock of one but I grabbed 3 nutz and the two other bolts oem

Bolt 90105-10212-00 Nut 95602-10200-00 Bolt 90105-10283-00 Nut 95602-10200-00

Your photo shows a fully threaded bolt; not the same as OEM which are only partially threaded.

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

Your photo shows a fully threaded bolt; not the same as OEM which are only partially threaded.

That’s just a test bolt I had taken that fit the nut off the bike I used to find other nutz at ace but I have the right bolts on right now but I went ahead and ordered oem parts off revzilla hopefully it gets here b4 leaned back if not f it

• 6 months later...
On 7/22/2022 at 9:32 PM, Crazyaust said:

That’s just a test bolt I had taken that fit the nut off the bike I used to find other nutz at ace but I have the right bolts on right now but I went ahead and ordered oem parts off revzilla hopefully it gets here b4 leaned back if not f it

I've found that OEM bolts are cheap enough, and in stock plenty, that there's no reason not to just go OEM on pretty much any bolt on the bike.

• Like 1

firstyammerha

I've been tempting fate for the past 7-1/2 years that I've had my bike. Swapping a number of old OEM shocks and a KTech back and forth when the whim hits me, I've only lightly tightened the nuts on both the bolts. Some bolts end up flush with the nut and others extend past the nut a few millimeters. I haven't lost a nut yet on this street ridden bike so maybe the biking gods are looking out for me🔧