The MT-07 Forum

Snorkel delete question

RKG83

So im planning to send in my ECU to 2wdw to get it flashed. My question is, do I completely get rid of the snorkel or cut off a portion of it to shorten it? I seen a YT video where the dude was just cutting off a portion of it, not sure what to do.

TIA 

I don't really think there would be any difference power-wise one way vs. the other, but I know just reaching in there and yanking out the whole snorkel is a lot easier than lifting the tank so I went that route. From what I remember, 2WdW just said to pull the whole thing back when I asked a similar question a couple years back when I sent my ECU in for a flash.

Just now, 7fold said:

I don't really think there would be any difference power-wise one way vs. the other, but I know just reaching in there and yanking out the whole snorkel is a lot easier than lifting the tank so I went that route. From what I remember, 2WdW just said to pull the whole thing back when I asked a similar question a couple years back when I sent my ECU in for a flash.

From the video I watched the fuel tank needs to be lifted a tad to remove the screws to get the snorkel out. Is there another way to get rid of it completely without lifting the tank?

Yup, just reach in there, get a firm grip on the snorkel and wiggle it back and forth until it pops out haha. I have relatively large hands and was able to pop the snorkel out with little difficulty. The screws you see are just for attaching the lid to the airbox - the snorkel isn't directly attached to the lid, rather, held in place by these little plastic studs on the lid. If you work the snorkel back and forth, you'll be able to pop it off of the little plastic studs that it's attached to and slide the snorkel out no problem. It might take some convincing, but it'll come out without having to lift the tank or break anything. 

You can see the snorkel start to work it's way out as you go so you'll know if you're actually doing anything. Just squeeze it and try to pull up first to break the seal. The snorkel itself extends down into the airbox, so you have to work it up and then out if that makes sense. It's tough to explain without pictures, but if you get in there, you'll see what I mean.  

Just now, 7fold said:

Yup, just reach in there, get a firm grip on the snorkel and wiggle it back and forth until it pops out haha. I have relatively large hands and was able to pop the snorkel out with little difficulty. The screws you see are just for attaching the lid to the airbox - the snorkel isn't directly attached to the lid, rather, held in place by these little plastic studs on the lid. If you work the snorkel back and forth, you'll be able to pop it off of the little plastic studs that it's attached to and slide the snorkel out no problem. It might take some convincing, but it'll come out without having to lift the tank or break anything. 

You can see the snorkel start to work it's way out as you go so you'll know if you're actually doing anything. Just squeeze it and try to pull up first to break the seal. The snorkel itself extends down into the airbox, so you have to work it up and then out if that makes sense. It's tough to explain without pictures, but if you get in there, you'll see what I mean.  

Thanks man appreciate the advice.  

These are the two pieces in question.  I've seen some of the online videos of the snorkel removal where they had to cut it out and there was a sleeve that went down into the airbox but at least for the 2021 that was not the case.  If I had known that I would have removed the snorkel without lifting the tank.  You should be able to do it without removing the base.

zxLkxLY.jpg

Edited by union

sweetscience

Now I wonder why the sleeve is omitted for the 3rd gens.  My guess is the new tuning to comply with Euro 5 emissions.  

When I binned the snorkel, I cut a bigger hole in the lid panel to match the size of the sprint filter intake. 

Just now, union said:

These are the two pieces in question.  I've seen some of the online videos of the snorkel removal where they had to cut it out and there was a sleeve that went down into the airbox but at least for the 2021 that was not the case.  If I had known that I would have removed the snorkel without lifting the tank.  You should be able to do it without removing the base.

zxLkxLY.jpg

Good to know as I have a 21 model, soon as I get eyes on it I’ll reach for it and pull it out.  Thanks for the advice.  

On 6/29/2022 at 7:02 PM, RKG83 said:

My question is, do I completely get rid of the snorkel or cut off a portion of it to shorten it?

Funny I saw this thread -not only did I try that, I sent a cut version to 2WDW for them to test it. Ultimately, it made no difference. Your best best for the cheap alternative is to take the snorkel out in full, and get a MWR filter. You don't need the MWR lid as it really doesn't do anything versus the cost. Actually the MWR filter doesn't do much either, but it sounds cool as hell. 

BTW, all my comments aren't just my opinion, but are what Nels at 2WDW told me after playing around on his dyno with what I and others sent him.

• Like 1

GoldenMT07

I have a 2021 and I pulled the snorkel completely out and got he 2WDW flash and very happy with the results.  Like the comment above, the team at 2WDW are great and very willing to answer any of our newbie questions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GoldenMT07 said:

I have a 2021 and I pulled the snorkel completely out and got he 2WDW flash and very happy with the results.  Like the comment above, the team at 2WDW are great and very willing to answer any of our newbie questions.

Was it difficult getting it out? Did you replace the air filter as well? Thinking about doing that while I’m in there, not sure if a new one is worth it though.  

• Global Moderator

XSR700, 2wdw tune, Yosh R77. I have run it with genuine yam filter with and without snorkel. Ran K&N with and without snorkel. Currently run K&N with snorkel and a desert racing sand bag cover on the snorkel, keeps k&n clean longer between washes. Really clean, in dusty Texas.

I can't say you can feel the difference, only the dyno knows. So if all the setups run the same, I keep the snorkel & sand bag. The difference that your butt can't hear, is that throated intake without snorkel.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Northsouth217

I removed mine when I got it flashed, makes a little more noise, like you said I can’t really feel any difference, so I’m putting it back in for more protection riding in rain.