The MT-07 Forum

Rear Brake, major problems with calliper fit.

nullsys

Just fit new EBC HH rear brake pad. Done this a bunch on previous bikes, for this 2021 MT 07 is giving me trouble.

The front bolt for the calliper doesn't like being tightened up.

The rear bolt slides the calliper horizontally just fine, can be tightened. Life is good.

As soon as I start tightening the front bolt to put the calliper back in place, I can see the piston no longer lines up, and the whole calliper doesn't want to slide horizontally any more.

Tightening to torque spec is the same as tightening finger tight.
The internal thread is actually stripping at this point.

Does this sound like someone (but what) is not lining up an twisted ?
No accidents, drops, etc. 2.5k miles. No marks or uneven pad or disc wear from old pads.

https://i.imgur.com/vTGSXIT.jpg You can see the underside of the head of the bolt is flat. But the top of the caliper isn't!

https://i.imgur.com/GeYcgMy.jpg The piston doesn't meet the pad at the rear (front of piston does) when pressed the pedal.

Since taking the calliper off, these fitment issues are present on the old and new pads.

Finally, when applying the rear brake lever, the whole calliper twists

Edited by nullsys

Update: Asked about "under warranty" for the calipper being off and not true... not interested in helping.

It looks like the pin is cross-threaded in the aluminum.  Was it hard to turn when you put it back in?  Cross threading would also explain why it's now stripped.  You could repair it by installing a Helicoil thread insert, but that may cost as much as the replacement part.

Edit:  I don't see that part as available separately on Partzilla's site, so buying a Helicoil kit and repairing it, or taking it to a machine shop and having it done there would be cheaper than getting a new $300+ caliper.  Alternatively, get one off eBay.  I see some there.

Edited by Triple Jim

Just now, Triple Jim said:

It looks like the pin is cross-threaded in the aluminum.  Was it hard to turn when you put it back in?  Cross threading would also explain why it's now stripped.  You could repair it by installing a Helicoil thread insert, but that may cost as much as the replacement part.

Edit:  I don't see that part as available separately on Partzilla's site, so buying a Helicoil kit and repairing it, or taking it to a machine shop and having it done there would be cheaper than getting a new $300+ caliper.

Thank you!

It was, but it only stripped the very entrance, rest was fine. It looks like it was stripped from factory too!

The whole entire calliper, parts, and pads is like £120, but a pain to do.

Even if you look at the photo, and see the machined edge of the calliper where the bolt face would be flush, you can see it's off angle. I think this was forced into place in factory, and when I tried, I stripped the entrance because I wasn't doing what they did to get it to fit?

Also, do you mean a kit like this?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/helicoil-eco-thread-repair-kit-m12-x-1-25mm-13-pieces/728fr

I wouldn't know the size.

Edited by nullsys

There are some on eBay at a good price, but you mentioned £ and not $, so you'd need to check the appropriate eBay site.

If it had been cross-threaded at the factory, I wouldn't think the caliper would have ever worked properly.  Maybe the guy putting it together cross threaded it, took the pin back out, and then ran it in straight, leaving damaged threads.

Edited by Triple Jim