The MT-07 Forum

Another auxiliary DC socket question

eden

Hi, I'm not sure if there's an introduce yourself section on this forum, but I'm new here, I recently bought a 2017 Tracer and I want to install a USB charger for my phone. I've had a good search on the forum but haven't found the answer to my problem.

The connector on the (OEM) charger is the standard MT090 2 pin connector, apparently appropriate to the model and year but I've looked all over the bike and the only reciprocal connector I can find is on the right hand side and being used by I believe, the ABS. 

On the left hand side, around the area where the connector seems to be on all the videos I've seen I have two  connectors: an MT090 3 pin (blanked off) and a 2 pin that I can't identify, that has male to female adapter inserted. 

I've seen posts suggesting you have to lift the tank off to find the DC auxiliary connector?

Any help would be appreciated. 

connectors.jpg

usb charger.jpg

Just now, Triple Jim said:

Sorry I don't have the answer, but welcome to the board, eden!

Thank you very much 👍

• Like 1

I found it on my 2020 MT-07, but I had to take some plastic off, and it's been a couple years so I don't remember anything that would be helpful.  I did make an extension cable that runs back to my tail bag.  I don't keep my phone within view when I'm riding, so if it needs charging it'll get done back there.

You probably know, but that connector gets power only when the ignition switch is on, so you can't charge a phone from it while you're camping, for example, even though the motorcycle battery is perfectly capable of doing that without getting overly discharged.

Just now, Yakko Warner said:

Does this thread help?

Yes, I saw that one before, and it looks like I have a three point connector where everyone else gets a two point. I don't mind replacing it but I want to be sure I doing the right one before I go cutting connectors off. 

Just now, Triple Jim said:

that connector gets power only when the ignition switch is on, so you can't charge a phone from it while you're camping

That's OK, I really only want it to keep the phone charged whilst I'm using it as a sat nav etc.

It looks like the unidentified 2 pin connector is the DC aux then. The 3 pin is also black & brown/yellow but with a red/white wire and I can't find it on the wiring diagram. I'm not very good at electrical testing but I couldn't get a DC reading across the pins with the key turned on or with the engine running. 

20220624_121834.jpg

20220624_122046.jpg

20220624_120819.jpg