The MT-07 Forum

Will older front suspention work for 2022 model?

Deniso

Hi, I have 2022 MT 07, but sadly last week I had a head on collision with a car. I am OK but my front wheel and Fork are Damaged. Guy in my city is selling his 2016 MT-07 for parts and his front fork looks the same from the photos. The wheel looks the same too. Is there anyone who swapped it or knows if it fits?

As far as I am concerned this are the part numbers of my fork:

BAT-23103-00-00

BAT-23102-00-00

And this is from 2016

1WS-23103-01-00 back in 2016 it was 1WS-23103-00-00

1WS-23102-03-00 back in 2016 it was 1WS-23102-00-00

and the wheel is for 2022:  BAT-25168-00-P0

and for 2016 it is: 1WS-25168-00-P0

M. Hausknecht

The forks and wheel are dimensionally identical. It is possible, however, that your triple clamps and/or steering stem are tweaked so you may need new as well. I don't recall whether the ID of the bearings for the steering stem are the same for the '16 and the '22. Someone else will know, I suspect. 

I've read that the fork springs are stiffer on the 2018-on models, so if you like the 2022  springs, you will probably need to put them in the 2016 tubes.

From my understanding, the first 3 digits indicate the Yamaha model, the following 5 digits are the actual part number, the following 2 digits are version of part (read: 00 is the original design/design code, 01 is an updated/revised version of the original part number, 02 is second revision, 03, etc), and the last 2 digits are the color code. If part is updated it is still interchangeable with older part number.

333     -    55555   -    00    -    GR

model       part #      version   color code

Edited by FrodoFZ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
sweetscience

Is this confirmed?  I doubt it.

I want to go the opposite way.  Replace previous gens brake disks with the 3rd gen disks.  

If the 3rd gen part numbers for the fork body is considered a revision.  With the calipers being the same,  the mounting bosses of the front forks would have to be changed to integrate the offset of the larger diameter front disk brake. 

If this is the case, folks wanting to upgrade to the larger brake disks would need to buy the outer stanchion fork body of the 3rd gens.

I'd be interested to know how much heavier the larger brake disks are.  Would the increase in un-sprung weight negate the braking advantage?   

Hmmm.

My 2020 stops so well that I don't think I'd consider an expensive change to try to  make it stop a little differently.

sweetscience
Just now, Triple Jim said:

My 2020 stops so well that I don't think I'd consider an expensive change to try to  make it stop a little differently.

LOL, likewise.  

However, I will upgrade the master cylinder, pads and brake lines.  Not a fan of the stock braking feel.  Crappy modulation.

Just now, sweetscience said:

LOL, likewise.  

However, I will upgrade the master cylinder, pads and brake lines.  Not a fan of the stock braking feel.  Crappy modulation.

Huh... I don't get that feeling at all with mine.  Maybe it's really a matter of a feel that you're used to, rather than better or worse.

sweetscience

Huh... I don't get that feeling at all with mine.  Maybe it's really a matter of a feel that you're used to, rather than better or worse.

It's because I spoiled myself when I kitted my other bike with the Brembo farkles.  Now,  I just have to get that epic feel on the MT.

Huh... I don't get that feeli

ng at all with mine.  Maybe it's really a matter of a feel that you're used to, rather than better or worse.

LOL, likewise.  

Well, I've had parts from lots of different manufacturers over the decades, Brembo included.  I don't see anything mystical about Brembo.  Like I said, it's probably just a matter of what you're used to.

M. Hausknecht

The feel I get with an R6 master cylinder (cheapo Brembo), steel braided lines, and double carbon pads with my stock '19 07 brakes is very firm. I get little lever movement and two finger braking to near lockup. I have Brembo Stylema calipers, Brembo 19 RCS Corsa Corta  master cylinder, and braided lines on my Kramer HKR Evo2R. These nearly top of the line Brembo items are no firmer, although they accommodate many adjustments to "feel", but allow one finger braking to near lockup. I find both options to be acceptable although differing in price by several hundred dollars. Someone with a more refined sense of such things would probably find greater differences. For street and track day  use, the combination on my 07 is more than adequate, even though the high end Brembo stuff is a little better at race pace. You pays your money, you make your choice.

• Like 1