The MT-07 Forum

No gear showing after hard braking

TeleToby

Hello there fine folks, I have a 2017 mt 07, and today i had to hit the brakes pretty hard to not destroy some bird hatchlings of whatever variety. And as I was standing there, in the middle of the road, in 4th I tried to switch down, to get going again, but it would not shift, and stopped showing the gear I was in. It found the gear again after i released the clutch, but it took a good few seconds for me to get going again.

I stomped it down plenty of times for it to be in 1st, but it was in 3rd when I got the gear indication back.
I feel like I have heard of this issue before, but can not remember where nor how to fix it. Anyone out there experienced the same and know of a fix?

• Like 1

Right, it didn't feel any different afterwards, so Im pretty sure nothing is broken. I thought it might be some contact patch needing to be cleaned or something. It has happened a few times, but today was the hardest getting them going again.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm with AP996.  I'm not sure you described a problem.  Maybe when you were in 4th and tried to shift without moving, it got between gears, so the indicator didn't show either gear.  It's difficult to shift any motorcycle when it's not moving, other than getting to neutral from 1st or 2nd.

• Like 2

try adjusting your clutch cable freeplay

if that doesnt help try adjusting your gear shifter position

good on you for not killing the wildlife :)

Thank you for the inputs, i have only had it for 2 months and its my first bike. Thank you for sharing your experience, Im really looking to learn and this all makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

I had this happen too sort of. I ended up having to break real hard and stalled after being cut off. I was able to find neutral no problem but I wasn’t positive since my my tac and gear indicator disappeared. I turned the key off and back on and all was good but it did trip me out a bit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
sweetscience

An advantage of this torquey engine is being able to take off in higher gears.  Score!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In the olden days this is why every rider was taught to shift down as the bike was still rolling.  Not always easy to remember in an emergency braking situation, but something to practice anyway.

Anytime the bike  is completely stopped and you try to shift (especially more than one gear position) there is a chance it will not go.  So ideally you should be in first before you stop.  Rolling the bike forwards or backwards a bit will allow it to shift, but obviously takes time that you may not have if this were happening either in a traffic lane or at a light.

2015 FZ-07 White: Penske 8900E shock & spring, Spiegler Stainless brake lines, Woodcraft clip-ons, engine guards and frame sliders.