The MT-07 Forum

Does anybody else hate where the horn button is positioned?

MotoFuzzle

• Premium Member

I've often blown the horn trying to cancel the turn signals. Thankful for a dark smoke visor hiding my red face :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest unknown

Just did it this morning. Pulled out of my driveway and went to cancel the blinker

Of course it was right in front of the bus stop too so everyone was staring at me.

• Global Moderator

It always seems this is more likely to happen when there are a lot of people around. Last time I did it was turning in to a busy parking lot.

pantheraleo

I just use the throttle when I need a horn, so no problem there....

But, I hit it once a week inadvertently. The location is not good. Not good, at all.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

The controls on this bike are definitely funky (at least compared to my previous bikes where all controls were practically the same).

I agree with several others in that I do not like the turn signal switch placement, feel, or action on the cancellation.

In 20 years of riding, I've probably used the horn like 5 times, so I haven't been too worried about it, other than I too have accidentally depressed it when trying to cancel the turn signal.

fooschnickens
+1! Makes me glad I didn't replace my horn with a Denali Soundbomb. 
Oh yea, I was totally going to replace mine too. Will have to rewire the horn to high beam flasher for sure before adding that mod.
I plan on doing the same. In fact, that sounds like a perfect rainy day mod for today... 

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Oh yea, I was totally going to replace mine too. Will have to rewire the horn to high beam flasher for sure before adding that mod.
I plan on doing the same. In fact, that sounds like a perfect rainy day mod for today...
Let me know how it goes, and please do a tutorial if you do.  I checked into it, but that is a really tight fit in there.  I think the worst part for me on this whole subject is, it's such a wimpy sound when the horn is set off.  You can't even pretend like it was maybe done on purpose and act like you're fine with it.  People look over expecting a moped and see the FZ.  Now the Yamaha Raider has a nice horn more like a car horn.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

It's happened to me a few times as well and yes it is aggravating. I always have to tell myself to reach over as far as I can and mush down hard. I'm thinking of these as a solution until something better comes along.

[attachment id=164" thumbnail="1][attachment id=165" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

fooschnickens
Let me know how it goes, and please do a tutorial if you do.  I checked into it, but that is a really tight fit in there.  I think the worst part for me on this whole subject is, it's such a wimpy sound when the horn is set off.  You can't even pretend like it was maybe done on purpose and act like you're fine with it.  People look over expecting a moped and see the FZ.  Now the Yamaha Raider has a nice horn more like a car horn.
Well, since they're both on a momentary switch, it seems like all you'd have to do is swap one trigger wire with another. Depending on how the connectors are done all you should need is a tiny pick or flathead screwdriver to pop it free. I'll know in a bit. 

fooschnickens

Welp, it doesn't look as easy as I hoped. Everything is soldered in place, so it'll take a bit of tracing and more disassembly than I care to get into today.

I also need to get in and trace the wiring or get a full blown wiring schematic for the bike to see how they wired the switches. the horn looks easy enough, but I can't tell without fully taking the controls apart if the momentary and toggle switch for the high beams are actually the same circuit. If that's the case then this becomes slightly more difficult, but not undoable.

• 3 months later...

I hated the horn button position. I ride three bikes an the MT07 horn was in a completely unintuitive position especially when riding different bikes every few days. So I went on Ebay and secured a 2013 Yamaha YZF R125 switch (£10) and a damaged MT07 (£20). I de-soldered both switch cables and re-soldered the MT cable onto the YZF switch.....perfect solution, and instant perfect fit. I kept the original complete just in case when I sell in the future I have it.... but you could just buy a YZR one and do the mod with your existing cable.
Now I am no longer activating the right indicator when I was hoping to sound the horn!!

DSC04159_zpsibcxbqcl.jpg

I hated the horn button position. I ride three bikes an the MT07 horn was in a completely unintuitive position especially when riding different bikes every few days. So I went on Ebay and secured a 2013 Yamaha YZF R125 switch (£10) and a damaged MT07 (£20). I de-soldered both switch cables and re-soldered the MT cable onto the YZF switch.....perfect solution, and instant perfect fit. I kept the original complete just in case when I sell in the future I have it.... but you could just buy a YZR one and do the mod with your existing cable. Now I am no longer activating the right indicator when I was hoping to sound the horn!!

Nice, I was wondering if anyone had modded it. I've been thinking about doing the same but I think I'll just use my exhaust once I get that put on. No DB killer should be much better than the horn!

amycyclenut

I am not a fan of it's location because with my tank bag on and I turn the handlebars hard left the d@mn button hits the bag! I have 1" risers so that may be a factor... but annoying nonetheless.

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

bmwpowere36m3

I thought it would be an issue for me based on the feedback here. However the only issue I have is actually finding the horn and not accidently hitting it. My other bikes are of the more "traditional" style as far as switches and finding the horn is my only problem.

• Premium Member

Yes, I often get pissed off and throw on the blinker as if its gonna alert my frustration to someone.  In my winter gloves I often attempt to change lanes and honk the horn realizing soon after that I don't live in the third world in which this is the common expectation.

Guest Ralph

I've had no problem with the horn at all couldn't figger out why anyone would have a problem,
swapped bikes with a mate today a Kawasaki guess what, I hit the horn a few times by mistake on the Kwaka.

Like I said...I ride three bikes and the yam horn position caused me problems in emergency situations when you don't have time to think. That's why I changed the switch. If the MT-07 was my only Bike I probably would have left it standard.

Guest Ralph
Like I said...I ride three bikes and the yam horn position caused me problems in emergency situations when you don't have time to think. That's why I changed the switch. If the MT-07 was my only Bike I probably would have left it standard.
That switch looks better quality than the org one though the horn does not bother me the switch feels cheap n nasty.

• 6 months later...
Yes the YZF switch feels much classier than the flimsy MT07 one
Please, can you post the wiring for this? which color cable to which place on the YZF switch?

• 6 months later...

Only thing I truly hate about this otherwise fantastic bike; horn position is awful; a safety issue, and should be fixed.  To me the turn signal switch feels "mushy" too compared to other bikes, but that's not a big deal - just makes it seem cheap and less tactile feedback.  

Wonder if an R3 module would retro-fit?  I know the R3 one has an indexing pin that keeps it in a certain position/orientation on the bar.

• Premium Member
Might be interesting to do this actually to see if the ECU recognizes the starter spinning after the motor is running by turning on the check engine light.
It does.

- Andy

On my old ninja 500, which has the typical location for the horn, I would always hit the horn whenever I read returning my thumb to a full grip after turn signal cancellation. I obviously don't do that with his bike, now that it's out of the way lol. I do agree that the horn is a little hard to reach, but just like Ralph said, im too busy avoiding a situation when it happens to worry about touching the horn. I've swerved, braked, or sped up to avoid idiot drivers, but in a split second moment, I never once reached for my horn. I only hit my horn when I'm letting someone know to look up from their damn phone cuz the light turned green five seconds a go. I also cover my horn button when I see a potential situation coming up, such as a close grouping of cars or an elderly driver, but again never used it because I decided to just avoid that area

Archived