The MT-07 Forum

Does anybody else hate where the horn button is positioned?

MotoFuzzle

<RANT>

I just had a close call and it's incredibly frustrating that I have to search for the horn to honk it.  I'm so used to more of a lever/button (like the hi-beam flasher) right on the bottom-left of the left-hand controls, not parked on the other side above the turn signal switch.  I much prefer to let somebody know ahead of time that they're about to make a life-changing decision for somebody else, than to search for the horn while performing evasive maneuvers.  Someday I'll get used to it.

</RANT>

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no problem finding the horn button. In fact when I first got the bike I was hitting the horn about every time I was tying to use my turn signal. :)

• Global Moderator

I sort of like having the horn a bit out of the way as I have not hit it by mistake when I was canceling my turn signals too many times. Having said that, it does make more sense to have it in the standard location for guys who ride more than one bike.

I too hate where it is...with all the idiots on the road, I got in the habit of 'covering' the horn button with my thumb on my Yamaha Roadstar. On the FZ...it is in a terrible location to be useful since I have to actually look down to find it.

A few times, I have inadvertantly hit the horn button while going for the turn signal cancel.So, for me, it's a case of it being too easy to hit.  :)

Where I live the horn is useless anyway since the idiot who did something to make you want to honk is most likely is on the phone while listening to the radio or texting to even here it. I just keep a defensive attitude to any cars around me and and always have room for evasive maneuvers... Daily riding in NY makes you appreciate the road trips much more....

• Premium Member

In a reactive scenario I've missed the horn a couple times. It's not ideal, but now that I know what I'm working with I've learned to deal with it.

Everything went braap.

TwistedTorque

I hated it at first, especially since I have small hands. But I'm used to it now and it's not as horrible as I first thought it was.

To be honest if something happens I am to busy trying to avoid the problem to worry about the horn.
How true. The horn is last on my to do list in those situations. Ya gotta figure, if someone can't see, they probably can't hear either. 
That said, the horn's sound level is not bad enough for me to go to the trouble of adding a relay and powering up FIAMMs. My Aprilia's OE horn is so pathetic, if I were to sell that bike, I'd feel guilty putting it back to OE. 

The bike has a horn?

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
04 MV Agusta F4 Brutale S (750)
10 Street Triple R
15 FZ-07 (arrived 12/6/2015)!!

i do i was going to post the same thing. i always turn the blinker on or hi beams. my thumb is to short to reach without moving my hand and at lights with the clutch pulled it's hard to hit it. i was thinking of switch it with the flash to pass button since that"s pointless anyway. 

Wonder how hard it would be to rewire the switches so the flash to pass trigger is the horn, and the horn button is the flash to pass. Seems like you would have a little more time to look down and find the flash button when you want to pass, instead of trying to find the horn. Making the flash to pass trigger the horn seems like a fast and seemless position for it that requires little thought.

• Premium Member

The controls on this bike are one of the few things that I do not like. I've been in situations where I've wanted to honk my horn and I turn on my turn signal. I don't use my horn now as my Akrapovic without insert is twice as loud as the horn when bouncing redline.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Yea, as a matter of fact, I was riding with a group yesterday, went to cancel my turn signal and once again hit the damn horn, making everyone look back at me in their mirrors and consequently not pay attention to the road. Embarrassing as hell too. Thinking about disconnecting it all together. If the flash to pass switch thing works, for the love of God please let me know.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member

Haha, I think we all can fault for accidentally hitting it when we're dealing with turn signals.

I think it's just a matter of practice. I tend to practice without looking where it is, so I get the muscle memory going.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

The earliest I would have my bike is Feb/Mar if I get all my finances in order. I'm just planning so many random projects and mods....and I don't even have the bike yet, lol. Still...The switches are similar, both are pressure based on/off switches, not toggled or anything like hi/lo beam or turn signal. So as long as they are wired, and aren't mounted to some circuit board or complicated setup...i don't see why someone couldn't just open up the housing and swap power/ground wires to each switch.

• Premium Member
Yea, as a matter of fact, I was riding with a group yesterday, went to cancel my turn signal and once again hit the damn horn, making everyone look back at me in their mirrors and consequently not pay attention to the road. Embarrassing as hell too. Thinking about disconnecting it all together. If the flash to pass switch thing works, for the love of God please let me know.
It works, in regards of it flashing, yes. I don't use it as most drivers associate flashing lights as the signal to "pull out in front of me." I run my aftermarket LED headlight on brights so the "flash to pass" doesn't work when you have your high beams on. To me I think it confuses other drivers more than anything. Maybe they're not educated here about this feature on motorcycles? Who knows. 

• Global Moderator

I do not flash my "flash to pass" when I use it. I just hold the switch if I think someone does not see me so my high-beam is on solid. Hopefully it makes me a bit easier to see and there is less chance that someone thinks I am telling them it is okay to pull out.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Honestly, I don't know what the flick of brights means. I might use it to let the oncoming driver know their brights are on and blinding me. I guess it's just to attract attention to yourself.

As for the horn button, I think it's mixed up with the turn signal and when I need to use the horn I have to look down at it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Yea, I disassembled the entire control module to take a look at the possibility of switching the wiring for the horn and bright flash. It is possible, but would have to do some soldering and shrink wrap. I'm not comfortable enough with my soldering skills yet to switch these wires. The horn wire is too short to simply disconnect and re-route to the flash button, so it'd have to be soldered to an extended piece of wire then shrink wrapped. Let's not forget, they might also be different volts and the switch itself may not be able to handle the load of one or the other. I'm thinking about terminating the horn all together, but there is that off chance that I might need it. Really just need Yamaha to sell a control assembly that would remedy this issue.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Voltage should be the same 12v, like accessories in a car. I asked my brother, a mechanic, and he said it shouldn't be too hard. Well, months down the road when i get my bike i'll have my brother try it and let everyone know if it works. Worst case is it doesn't work, and we just put the wires back in their original positions.

It might be a dumb idea entirely, but I just thought wiring the horn to an easy to reach quick trigger would be super convenient.  I'm actually excited for somebody to try this just so we know for sure.  I don't mind being the guinea pig, it's just going to take me some time.  The 07 will actually be my first bike.  I've had my license for 10 years and have ridden a handful of models, just never owned my own.  Being so green, it would be nice to know I can reach my horn without thinking about it.

My little bro is a beast with wiring too, so if it can be done, he'll get it to work.  :)

I sort of like having the horn a bit out of the way as I have not hit it by mistake when I was canceling my turn signals too many times. Having said that, it does make more sense to have it in the standard location for guys who ride more than one bike.
Same here. 

Yea, I disassembled the entire control module to take a look at the possibility of switching the wiring for the horn and bright flash. It is possible, but would have to do some soldering and shrink wrap. I'm not comfortable enough with my soldering skills yet to switch these wires. The horn wire is too short to simply disconnect and re-route to the flash button, so it'd have to be soldered to an extended piece of wire then shrink wrapped. Let's not forget, they might also be different volts and the switch itself may not be able to handle the load of one or the other. I'm thinking about terminating the horn all together, but there is that off chance that I might need it. Really just need Yamaha to sell a control assembly that would remedy this issue.
A switch is just a switch. It shouldn't matter if the voltage is not too different. I might look into it, but not until it gets warmer, I don't have a garage, but would like to see into relocating the horn to the "flash-to-pass" silly switch.

It's one of the only things I don't like. You should not have to think about where the horn is when u need it. You need to be busy doing other things, avoiding a cager, hitting the brakes or gas, etc. I use the horn to let people know I'm there when I anticipate a bad move on their part. It may help in preventing an emergency maneuver.

Archived