The MT-07 Forum

How much is to much front end dive??

mtechdan

I am just curious if there are numbers or measurements on how much front end nose dive is too little or too much on a stock front suspension.  My bike is completely stock suspension but I have a K-tech rear shock ready to install.   I have close to 75mm of dive after riding and braking. I weigh in at 165lbs.  

3200C5A2-1BE4-488A-9090-F610A2F8731E.jpeg

It's up to you, really... up to the point where it bottoms out, which is very bad.  I don't think 3 inches of compression is unusual.  If you ever feel it bottom out, or if  you measure it getting close, you can add a little oil to stiffen it up some.

What model year is it?  From 2018 on they were somewhat stiffer.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

M. Hausknecht

There is 5" of travel before the fork bottoms, so you're not even close. To elaborate on Jim's suggestion, if you should get within a 1/4" of bottoming (highly unlikely at your weight), adding fork oil will stiffen up the last 1/2" or so of travel because the reduced air volume in each fork will act like a stiffer spring. For context, on a race track I typically use at least 4" of travel and occasionally as much as 4 1/2" when I lift the rear wheel a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

It's up to you, really... up to the point where it bottoms out, which is very bad.  I don't think 3 inches of compression is unusual.  If you ever feel it bottom out, or if  you measure it getting close, you can add a little oil to stiffen it up some.

What model year is it?  From 2018 on they were somewhat stiffer.

2016. I have not felt it bottom out, ever.  

Just now, mtechdan said:

2016. I have not felt it bottom out, ever.  

That's good.  I don't think you have a problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mtechdan said:

I am just curious if there are numbers or measurements on how much front end nose dive is too little or too much on a stock front suspension.  My bike is completely stock suspension but I have a K-tech rear shock ready to install.   I have close to 75mm of dive after riding and braking. I weigh in at 165lbs.  

When I fitted my ohlins rear shock I was surprised at how it affected the front end. The better damping of the shock settles the standard front a lot. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stickshift said:

When I fitted my ohlins rear shock I was surprised at how it affected the front end. The better damping of the shock settles the standard front a lot. 

That’s what I have been hearing, when upgrading the rear shock.   

On 6/17/2022 at 5:38 AM, Triple Jim said:

That's good.  I don't think you have a problem.

Thanks for the input.  I probably don’t feel as much chatter or dive as heavier riders. I did not want to go buy all new front suspension not really needed it.   I did buy a set of preload adjusters to better help calculate sag for my weight