The MT-07 Forum

Your 2nd set of rubber?

schalicke

• Premium Member

We all know about the tires that come stock on our bikes (Bridgestone BattleAx & Michiline Road Pilot 3). Good tires for the price point of the FZ-07.

I want to start this thread to get people's thoughts and experience to help others choose their next set of tires for the FZ-07. So please share your knowledge from track tires, canyon cutters, touring skins, and commuting comfies. Let us know why and what your next tires will be.

I personally loved Michelin's Pilot Power 2CT back in the day. Great for daily driving, but sticky where you need them.

The stock tires aren't cheap or junk, but top-of-the-line sport-touring tires from Bridgestone (BT023) and Michelin (Pilot Road 3).
If you don't know what to get come replacement time, you can't go wrong by buying the same tires.

To me, tires are a personal choice due to feel, and what feel you enjoy while riding the bike.
I have liked the Michelin Pilot Powers since they came out about 10 years ago and will go with a set of those in the springtime as I always start the new riding season off with new tires or shortly after the season starts.
The feel these tires always give me is:
Mega Traction.

The BT023s my FZ-07 came with are good tires, though, and in my opinion are easily up to the task of what the typical street rider will do or want.
A big deal is tire pressure and checking it at least once a week - not too low and not as hard as a rock.

I have ridden the 07 on both and though the Bridgestones are good
the Michelins feel better and will be putting them on at the first change.

I'll probably go with BT003RS's, I've gone through a few sets on other bikes and like them. My 07 came with the Road 3's, they are pretty good tires, if I were commuting or putting a bunch of miles on them, they would be the tire I'd go with.

I usually get 2-3,000 miles out of the 003's in the rear, close to twice that for the front. This obviously depends largely on your riding style, but I'd expect much more out of the Road 3's.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Mine came with the Michelin tires and they are holding up really well. I've not been on a track with them but ride hard and being in the desert, they have held up to the heat really well. Been really cool weather here lately and still performs great. Got about a little over 2000 miles on them and they both still look in perfect shape. Will be installing another set of the Michelin's for second set.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

The Pilot Road 3 is one of the best tires ever, I know tons of fast riders who swear by them. But, some times "factory sold" tires have differences cause they are sold at low margins in bulk.
Seriously, read the user reviews on them at Revzilla.

I just put Pilot road 4 on my FZ-09 rear and love it. Seems to resist hydroplane very well.

From experience, trying to buy long lasting tires for those kind of bikes is a mistake (unless you only commute with the bike).
You want as much grip as you can afford. It's expensive and the tire will not last too long, but your bike will always stay between your legs.
Usually, one front tire will last for 2 rear tires.

scordiaboy515
I'll probably go with BT003RS's, I've gone through a few sets on other bikes and like them. My 07 came with the Road 3's, they are pretty good tires, if I were commuting or putting a bunch of miles on them, they would be the tire I'd go with. 
I usually get 2-3,000 miles out of the 003's in the rear, close to twice that for the front. This obviously depends largely on your riding style, but I'd expect much more out of the Road 3's.
   The 003RS's are excellent tires.....had a set on my Buell Firebolt,  For next years riding season I will go with the Dunlop Q 3's 

I'm going with the pilot 3 also. My stock bridgestones have 6k on them with just a little meat left, but not enough for wet weather. I ran the pilot 3's on my supermoto and loved them. Just curious how many of you do your own tire changes. I do
and use dyna beads for balanceing.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member

I switched from the stock Bridgestone BT-023's to Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's at 2,000 miles. Stock tires still lok new, but I had an advanced motorcycle safety training day with a few track sessions thrown in at the end and I wanted a tire more suited to that environment. The Pirelli's did great, but I think when spring comes around and I do my next track day I'm gonna switch once again but this time to Dunlop Q3's. I recently did the California Superbike school on their Dunlop Q3 shod BMW S1000RR's and was blown away by their performance. And they are actually cheaper than the Pirelli's I just put on, as well as a slightly taller profile, so handling should be even sharper.

- Paulie

I'm going with the pilot 3 also. My stock bridgestones have 6k on them with just a little meat left, but not enough for wet weather. I ran the pilot 3's on my supermoto and loved them. Just curious how many of you do your own tire changes. I do and use dyna beads for balanceing.
I have changed my own tires on tubed tires but not tubeless tires. I am afraid to mess the bead seal on the tubeless tire. Can you enlighten me with your advance technic 8-|

I'm going with the pilot 3 also. My stock bridgestones have 6k on them with just a little meat left, but not enough for wet weather. I ran the pilot 3's on my supermoto and loved them. Just curious how many of you do your own tire changes. I do and use dyna beads for balanceing.
I have changed my own tires on tubed tires but not tubeless tires. I am afraid to mess the bead seal on the tubeless tire. Can you enlighten me with your advance technic 8-|

I made a tire changing station a while back, when I had a supermoto.
c2db14a3b46f2b3c630d08d4d9467887.jpg
I actually just did my rear tire 5 minutes ago. But a must are the motion pro rim savers and good tire spoons. Also the warmer the tire the better. It's about 45 degrees in my shop right now so I had to use a halogen work light to heat the tires. But these rims are pretty solid you shouldn't mess up the bead seats if you just pay some attention to them.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

I made a tire changing station a while back, when I had a supermoto. c2db14a3b46f2b3c630d08d4d9467887.jpg
I actually just did my rear tire 5 minutes ago. But a must are the motion pro rim savers and good tire spoons. Also the warmer the tire the better. It's about 45 degrees in my shop right now so I had to use a halogen work light to heat the tires. But these rims are pretty solid you shouldn't mess up the bead seats if you just pay some attention to them.

Thanks rotaryryan24 ;) 

I use a harbor freight changer, works. The no-mar changers work great I hear. You can see plenty of videos of both on YouTube.

I've had good luck with clear tubing as rim protectors when using tire irons. The tubing is maybe half inch or three quarter, has thick enough wall and stay on the rim. You can buy a foot of it and have plenty to lose, and different lengths. Never had it split no matter how hard I torque.

Cassecou, pretty tough to ruin the bead. I had a motard, sealed the rims so I didn't have to deal with tubes, worked great, much easier.

Archived