The MT-07 Forum

Error codes SD-33 and 34 tripped at same time?

50Joe

335d__33Cylinder #1 ignition coil: open or short circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #1 ignition coil.

345d__34Cylinder #2 ignition coil: open or short circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #2 ignition coil.

Prepping bike for a race weekend. It was running perfect and just idling in my garage. Gas was very very low and it cut off. Figured it just ran out and there were no codes on the dash and I couldn't hear fuel when I rocked the bike. Grabbed some fuel that I use in my generator. It's old but was non-ethanol and had fuel stabilizer in it. Threw in about 1/2 gallon. Bike fired up, idled for a minute or two and then died and the codes above came on. I removed all fuel from the tank, bought fresh non-ethanol gas (only 87 octane was available) after first pumping 8.5 gallons into my car and then 1 more gallon in the fuel can. Put about 1/2 gallon in the bike, cycled the start switch several times to prime the pump, hit the starter and it wanted to start and did after I gave it a little throttle. It settled back into an idle with no codes on the dash but only for a minute or two and then died and codes came back. It wouldn't restart. Thoughts on why error codes for both cylinders triggered? How to correct?

Even though the starter motor cranks over just fine could this be battery related? It is a race only bike using a lithium battery that is several years old. No motor mods, just an airbox, full race exhaust and ECU remapped for both and I run pump gas in it.

Edited by 50Joe

M. Hausknecht

Well, that sux. You could do the old fashioned thing and pull a plug, attach the coil to it, ground the plug, and hit the starter. Should see a juicy spark.

I've run my bike out of fuel while idling and all it did was die. More fuel, fired right up and all was good. So, I don't think the low fuel is anything but a coincidence. Having said that, pull the fuel line at the injector fuel rail, aim it somewhere harmless and hit the starter. You should get good flow. I wonder if running it out of fuel could've gunked up the filter on the fuel pump? Its not difficult to remove and check.

I wonder if you did something else inadvertently while working on the bike?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I do not know the answer to your problem,  but the fact that both coils have the same fault would have me looking at connections. Did you unplug anything while prepping your bike?

I did my first track day of the season a few weeks ago. Everything was good for the first few laps and then I got a check engine light. It was code sd 22, air temp sensor. Mine had become unplugged somehow,  maybe I did not have is fully engaged in the clip.

Anyway, whenever I see more than one component with the same issue,  I look for what they have in common. I'd check all the plugs on the wiring harness to start.

Hope this helps

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Triple Jim
Just now, 50Joe said:

Even though the starter motor cranks over just fine could this be battery related?

Put a meter on the battery and read its voltage as you start and run it, assuming you can again.