The MT-07 Forum

Cheap aftermarket downpipe with 51mm slip on

Zad.

So I just bought my first motorcycle and my dream would be to get a akrapovic racing line exhaust for my beloved fz07, but at 1k CAD, I can't get myself to justify the cost.

Has anyone ever tried to buy a downpipe and a can separatly? I fully expect to hace to do some work to get the can fitted to the bike. I'm used to mod cars and I've done some junky shet in the past, but it seems it could be done for under 400$. Which slip on would you try?

I was thinking something like this for the pipe:

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
nozeitgeist1800

if youre going to spend around $400, why not just buy the m4 slip on? youll need to cut the existing pipes iirc, but if youre looking for super loud, m4 is what i hear that you should look for.

edit to add that as someone who did end up getting the akra ti, for me it was totally worth saving the extra money up

Edited by nozeitgeist1800
  • Like 2

M. Hausknecht

The FB 07 and R7 groups are full of posts on cheap exhaust systems. Folks seem most interested in finding the "right" sound. It appears that at least some of the "Amazon" systems fit ok, are lightweight, and they are really cheap  (under $200 US). https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fz07+exhaust&crid=2M00QIE83IU8&sprefix=fz07%2Caps%2C189&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_4      I'm more interested in performance, but  I understand others have different priorities and constraints.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:01 AM, nozeitgeist1800 said:

if youre going to spend around $400, why not just buy the m4 slip on? youll need to cut the existing pipes iirc, but if youre looking for super loud, m4 is what i hear that you should look for.

edit to add that as someone who did end up getting the akra ti, for me it was totally worth saving the extra money up

In canada they are so much more expensive and the noise regulations in my city are crazy restrictive and i'm not looking to piss off my neibourgh and the cops lol. 

How loud is the akra ti with baffle in? I really don'T want my neibourgh to call the cops on me because of excessive noise

Most don't like the look, but I got a full 18" Delkevic exhaust, because I wanted better tone, but not a lot of volume.   I got what I wanted, plus I don't mind the look, because I'm not overly fond of the short exit at the foot peg exhaust.  It also didn't require a reflash to use it.

With the baffle insert it comes with the sound is like a muffled Yamaha flat tracker, a DT-07.  I downloaded a sound meter app and found the exhaust was around 88 dB at idle, about 24" at a 45° angle to the right.   Reved around 5000-6000 rpm it was around 96 dB.   When riding it's not obnoxious and "Look at me, hear my thunder!" loud.   I doubt most pedestrians even notice me.  I did get the "quieter core" as well, in the event it was too loud for my liking.   I can hear it when I'm riding, in spite of it being relatively low volume.

image.png.ad3903ad1e06743ebddfc0d4028be18b.png

I need a better looking mount welded up.

image.png.e67d4db76a40de7addab6e31d91d68e9.png

Delkevic makes a couple shorter mufflers too.  The choice is 18", 17", 15", and 9" oval stainless or tri- oval, stainless or carbon fiber can.  I think the 9" would be really too loud, the 17" and 15" might be okay with an insert.  Those are just my opinion.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

nozeitgeist1800
6 hours ago, Zad. said:

In canada they are so much more expensive and the noise regulations in my city are crazy restrictive and i'm not looking to piss off my neibourgh and the cops lol. 

How loud is the akra ti with baffle in? I really don'T want my neibourgh to call the cops on me because of excessive noise

its not terribly loud, but the sound is nice and bass-ey. definitely louder than stock, but not so much that i feel bad leaving the house at 2 am and riding through the neighborhood. you dont need earplugs when riding, either, which is really nice

• Like 2

Amazon pipes and muffler are decent for the money. They fit good and sound good too but there are some differences in Amazon exhaust and name brand.  I did a full comparison on my YouTube page. I originally had an  Amazon header and muffler with 2WDW tune.   And it ran fine. Now with the full Yoshirmura, Hord Power box and tune. It is a different machine!

Edited by mtechdan

• 6 months later...
On 6/6/2022 at 2:45 PM, mtechdan said:

Amazon pipes and muffler are decent for the money. They fit good and sound good too but there are some differences in Amazon exhaust and name brand.  I did a full comparison on my YouTube page. I originally had an  Amazon header and muffler with 2WDW tune.   And it ran fine. Now with the full Yoshirmura, Hord Power box and tune. It is a different machine!

I've got a full Yoshimura system but my silencer needs replacement. Would the silencer from the cheap copy Amazon or Ebay system fit the Yosh header? Same outside pipe diameter where the silencer slips on?

Edited by 50Joe
update

I've bought Arrow and Yoshimura systems , so I'm not hating on aftermarket exhausts, but they're pretty much a scam. All the mufflers are literally just packed with fiberglass and we used to buy glass pack mufflers at the auto parts store for $18 a pop. They were dirt cheap because it's literally the worst way to build a muffler ever. The glass will burn out, and it will hold moisture and rot out the can. Good mufflers had baffles ( like our stock systems) which are tricky to design and manufacture. So aftermarket exhaust company's just pump out universal glass pack mufflers and bend up different tubing kits to fit em to different bikes. 

Nearly zero aftermarket bike systems actually improve on the header design of a stock bike (barring double wall pipes). A tube is a tube and if the diameters are the same then so it's the flow. 

Old Yoshimura mufflers were literally just 4" aluminum pipe with a 2" pipe shoved inside. I had one on my CB1100F. There's no rocket science here. Find a can you like and connect the dots with whatever tubing you can find. No sharp bends and you'll be golden. 

Edited by shinyribs

M. Hausknecht

Although I agree that most after-market exhausts are no better than the stock pipe at developing power, there are exceptions. For example, when I was shopping for exhaust systems for my Ducati, Arrow offered 3 different head pipe diameters, in steel or titanium, with either carbon or aluminum cans. The primary tubes were also different in length from stock. Arrow continues to make multiple systems for some bikes (R6, for example) with different primary tube diameters, so you can pick a system that better fits particular motor modifications.

More recently, I'm aware that Yoshimura has made and tested literally a dozen different configurations of pipes for the R7. Blake Davis won the MA Twins Cup championship using a prototype Yosh pipe that will eventually be available to the masses. As  it is,  the existing Yosh Race R-77 system differs in significant respects from the stock system: the head pipes are bigger in diameter and they are connected together prior to the collector (supposed to broaden the powerband), and the collector itself differs in some significant ways from the stock system. With at least some of their systems, like the R-77,  Yoshimura actually puts in the time and effort to make an exhaust that is better suited to building mid and high end power than the stock system. Whether this effort is worth paying for when installed on an otherwise stock motor is a different question. It doesn't help that most companies don't publish the relevant specs for their systems (primary tube diameter and length, collector dimensions and angles).  

But yeah, I agree that most of the exhaust systems I see for the CP2 motor are designed only to fit physically, rather than to meet any particular performance objectives.

FWIW, I spent all of a buck on a decibel meter ap for my phone.   Found that the full Delkevic exhaust with the quiet core in it wasn't too loud at all.   I measured the sound 24" (60cm) and 45° from the tip.  At idle I showed 87 dB, at 5000 rpm free rev I had 96 dB.  Not bad at all, not likely to bother anyone when riding in town.

One key point that came up in a discussion about wildlife on the roads where I said having a bit more exhaust sound actually would be good, made me search for more information.  I found that as distance doubles the dB level will drop 6 dB for each doubling of the distance.  So a person standing 32 feet (about 10 meters) from my bike would hear my exhaust at about 72 dB.  So really I was totally happy with the end result.  My bike sounds really good and isn't going to annoy anyone when I ride by them.   

Oh, I also had my son-in-law do a couple ride-by runs out in the country one time when we stopped.   The bike sound was barely audible at 100 yards (close enough to 100 meters) away.  Yet when riding it I can hear it if I think about it and it does sound good.  If I want to be obnoxious I could pull the quiet core, maybe I will for another set of readings, and if I want to get more stealth I bought the longer "quieter core" when I got the pipe.  My goal was better sound without excess volume and for a buck I verified what I wanted with reasonable accuracy.

I should throw in here, I checked the son-in-law's FTR with the S&S high pipes.  It was around 92 dB at idle and was around 120 dB at 5000 rpm...  suffice it to say when he opens it up you can hear him a half mile away.  Normal riding isn't too bad, but still louder than what I wanted.