The MT-07 Forum

Aftermarket valve shim kit FZ/MT/XSR700

Pursuvant

• Global Moderator

Anybody tried sourcing valve shim kits? It's a mess, websites all disagree about what shims fit FZ/MT/XSR 700. I expect all 7.48mm work, but don't want a shim to get "stuck" because poor quality.

All kits below are 7.48mm diameter - @noodles used HotCams in his "how to" in 2019. Has anybody used one of these kits since ?

HotCams HCSHIM01   7.48mm Diameter

Wiseco VSK7 Valve Shim Kit- 7.48mm dia.

ProX Mfg Part# 29.VSA748 - 7.48mm OD

----:

If you're obsessed with tolerance, they have a kit that when added to standard kit allows "half size" increments

ProX Mfg Part# 29.VSA748-2

Somebody may need it, but not me

Edit - 2022.06 Correction! I needed almost immediately, these "in between" shim sizes can be really handy to zero in on a particular clearance

I just use Hot Cams 7.48 mm shims ordering what ever sizes I need, no problems so far and they do the bigger sizes you need with reground cams.

M. Hausknecht

I use the Hot Cams 7.48mm Shim Kit HCSHIM01. Since I ported my head and had the valve seats recut, I was unable to use any of the original shims. I used nearly all the 190 and 195 shims though so if my next head, waiting for cams from Web, needs the same shims, I'll be getting more.  

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

...needs the same shims, I'll be getting more...

I'm going to go Pro X because there is such a thing as "good enough" and they are all good enough so it doesn't matter.

And because it's interesting, I'm going with this kit for kicks -

###ProX Mfg Part# 29.VSA748-2

Includes 7.48mm OD valve shims sizing from 1.225 to 3.475mm in .05 increments (46 sizes).

###

Local shops have the standard szing from 1.20 to 3.50mm in .05 increments.

Using the Pro X and mixing with a few of the local shop  dealer shim sizes  (if I want) - I just doubled (potential) gap accuracy.

Probably means nothing to a street bike, but it might be worth it with your high zoot head & cams?

If you want to try some "half-sizes" from my kit, I can send you a few

Edited by Pursuvant

Pro-X is good stuff. I've heard horror stores about Hot Cams stuff, but never from anyone that actually used it. It's always That Guy who read a thing about something somewhere on the internet, and " would never use that crap in my engine". 

My limited experience with Hotcams was perfectly fine. 

• Global Moderator
Just now, shinyribs said:

...never from anyone that actually used it...

If you had to do a custom grind, that might show one material harder. All I care about is it's not misshapen and gets stuck in the cups.

I can remember the first bike I shimmed -gpz550 ujm. I played with it all summer, set the valves a half dozen times. And in my learning, I had times where I wanted a shim in between available sizes. It was only a problem in my novice mind

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht
6 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

I'm going to go Pro X because there is such a thing as "good enough" and they are all good enough so it doesn't matter.

And because it's interesting, I'm going with this kit for kicks -

###ProX Mfg Part# 29.VSA748-2

Includes 7.48mm OD valve shims sizing from 1.225 to 3.475mm in .05 increments (46 sizes).

###

Local shops have the standard szing from 1.20 to 3.50mm in .05 increments.

Using the Pro X and mixing with a few of the local shop  dealer shim sizes  (if I want) - I just doubled (potential) gap accuracy.

Probably means nothing to a street bike, but it might be worth it with your high zoot head & cams?

If you want to try some "half-sizes" from my kit, I can send you a few

Thanks much, good info. I'll keep in mind the half sizes. To take full advantage of the camshafts' lift and duration, I want to run close to the minimum clearance but this means more frequent clearance checks, and I like being able to address differences of a thou or two. I raced a desmo Ducati for a few years and had access to unlimited shims and a good quality surface grinder. I just created the shims I needed to get the clearance exactly where I wanted it. Still managed to blow it up though on the back straight at Road Atlanta.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1