The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 quickshifter?

BruceWayne911

BruceWayne911

I recently had a IRC quickshifter installed on my MT-07. When riding gears 2&3 jerk and snap real hard. Gears 4-6 are smooth as silk. Is this normal for the MT-07?

M. Hausknecht

Not normal. Are using fuel or ignition cut, and for how long? Guessing you might need a bit more cut out time in the lower gears, or shift faster (if possible). I have a different unit but I only get bad upshifts when I'm lazy with the shifter. 

BruceWayne911
9 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Not normal. Are using fuel or ignition cut, and for how long? Guessing you might need a bit more cut out time in the lower gears, or shift faster (if possible). I have a different unit but I only get bad upshifts when I'm lazy with the shifter. 

What do you mean by lazy shift? My mechanic is saying its because the bike makes all its power down low and I'm wide open on the throttle. Next day off I'm gonna test it out.

10 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

... I only get bad upshifts when I'm lazy with the shifter. 

The first time I used a quickshifter, having bad upshifts because I was personally reluctant to shift without a clutch - and everything sucked for the first 30 minutes.

Once I realized that I had to be definite, with strong and positive input, things went better for me. I think the opposite of strong, positive input could be viewed as "lazy".

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht
On 5/14/2022 at 11:37 PM, BruceWayne911 said:

What do you mean by lazy shift? My mechanic is saying its because the bike makes all its power down low and I'm wide open on the throttle. Next day off I'm gonna test it out.

Lone Wolf explained well what I mean. Firm and quick with the upshifts, and make sure you leave the throttle on fully or nearly so. 

I use fuel cut on my quickshifter but I understand that spark cut works also (it just dumps unburned mixture into the exhaust). The duration of the cut is important, to assure the shift dogs have an opportunity to engage fully. For my second to third and third to fourth shifts, my cut out time is 78.125 ms. Cut off time on taller gears is shorter.

Your mechanic's observation is, bluntly put, irrelevant. The motor doesn't develop its power "down low", it has a broad power band and just doesn't rev like a 600cc inline four. And, of course, you're wide open on the throttle; that is why you got the quickshifter! My only problem with WOT second to third gear shifts is keeping the front wheel down.

• Like 3

A little off topic but with a quickshifter how do you get to neutral? I am guessing, based on the above comments, that the sensor that detects the up/down shift has to be set to detect a shift when you commit fully to the shift and use a firm action and not when you gently tap the shifter to get to neutral. Am I close?

stickshift
Just now, seven said:

A little off topic but with a quickshifter how do you get to neutral?

Finding neutral with a quickshifter fitted is no different to a bike without one. You don't have to use the quickshifter for any shift, only if you choose to (opening throttle, no clutch).

I have my quickshifter set to only activate (able to be used) over 5000 rpm. It might be 'clunky' to use at lower revs because shifts are typically slower than at high revs.

It's really only useful when you're getting hard on the gas (WOT) at high revs.

Edited by stickshift