The MT-07 Forum

OZ GASS R6 Rear Wheel Conversion

jb.junior

Hi.  I recently bought a <2016 Yamaha R6 OZ GASS RS rear wheel for my race FZ-07.  Normally, it's quite easy to make an R6 wheel fit on the FZ.  There are a few groups (Robem, Franks, Roaring) that make a spacer kit so that it fits right up.  The rotor ends up being smaller diameter than it needs to be to fit in the caliper, but this can be remedied by either a larger Yamaha Fazer rotor, or an underslung caliper kit.

I have the Robem spacer kit, which works fine on an OEM R6 wheel, which I have tested.  But for the OZ, only one of the spacers seems to fit.  The sprocket side spacer fits in place in the wheel like it should, but the brake side has play, is loose, and doesn't fit in the wheel right.  It seems that it needs to have a slightly larger OD.  

See pics.  The shiny aluminum spacers are the ones that come with the wheel.  You can see them on the wheel and removed.  The matte ones are the Robem ones.  The pic of the wheel on the bike (with the white Delrin spools), is not my bike, but a shot taken from another race bike that has done this conversion, to show as an example.

Does anyone know how to make this work?  I guess I need a different brake-side spacer?  Anyone done this or know someone who as?

IMG_6036.jpg

IMG_6044.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6074.jpg

IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6079.PNG

OZ GASS_FZ-07.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Have you measured the ID of the rear wheel bearings and the OD of the collar on both spacers? They should be the same on both sides. The ID of the spacers should the same  and fit the axle.

Maybe a bearing was changed or a spacer was changed?

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

That thin wall spacer looks like what you see as the third/inner spacer that goes between the cushdrive and the wheel. Looks like you're when has a different sprocket mounting setup, but maybe somebody goofed and sent you a cush hub spacer.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the absence on this thread.  Been trying to race...

So those spacers are just for an R6.  And the "FZ > R6" spacers that Robem sells only work for OEM R6 wheels.  So you need to get custom spacers made to make these OZ R6 wheels fit the FZ/R7.  Which I did.  Two sets.  If anyone needs a set, let me know, and I'll direct you.  Wasn't cheap...  Pro tip: all measurements are the same except the ID, which needs to be 40mm (R6 ID is I think 30 or 32mm...)

IMG_6541.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

Edited by jb.junior