The MT-07 Forum

Recumbent Motorcycles?

bornagainbiker

There's not a lot to argue with there.  I'd have to try one somewhere like on a track or on the Dragon to understand how well it handles compared to a conventional motorcycle.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

No thanks. Standard motorcycles can have longer wheelbases too and, thereby avoid wheelies and stoppies. Enclose it? Thats what cars are for. And you can't weight the pegs, shift your weight to the inside, or adjust your posture so can sit on another part of your butt for a while.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider

No only a HARD pass, bit I'd also like to add "kill it with fire"-

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

9 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

No thanks. Standard motorcycles can have longer wheelbases too and, thereby avoid wheelies and stoppies. Enclose it? Thats what cars are for. And you can't weight the pegs, shift your weight to the inside, or adjust your posture so can sit on another part of your butt for a while.

This. It's a cruiser at best. 

One year we were at Barber Vintage Festival and a guy there had one of the Alligator's. He was riding it all over town that weekend. I saw it parked where we were filling up so I just hung around and waited on the owner. I asked if he minded talking about the bike and he was thrilled to chat. Long story short, he's a sport bike guy at heart and , as fun as the Alligator was, he said you don't think about going fast on it. Mainly due to the fact that you can't move around as needed. He did make it clear that it's very easy to ride, so it doesn't handle "bad", you're just not going corner carving on the thing. Joyride machine. 

I can wheelie my farm tractor on to it's lid. The things some people count as "reasons" completely escape me. If your throttle/brake control is so poor that you can't avoid flipping a bike end over end, you've got other issues to sort through. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

anaximandros4

I think that he mentioned that current motorcycle form and tech , cannot achieve better acceleration or decelerration.

So , in a way , there's got to be a compromise between current situation and a form that could accomplish the foreamentioned goals.

Could be a motorcycle with the form of a lowered BMW C125 , with the engine of a F900R , for example ? 

Maybe, I like the idea but I like my current bike too so I would like to see options , ideas on that matter.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Maybe I am getting old, but I feel that an R1 or similar is just about fast enough for me.  Racing is about being able to get the maximum performance out of the machines.  I love watching guys pushing to the limit on the track on similar bikes and seeing who has the most skill.  Just going or stopping faster is not really the point. 

• Like 1

The cycle that Ryan rode was an E-cycle, that is pedaled like a bicycle, along with the batteries to drive motors in one or both wheels. They look ideal for inner city commuting, and are speed limited to meet the E-cycle 'legal definition'. There is more information on the manufacturer's web site, but for me, at least, something like this would be great around the city or as a second bike..

• Like 1