The MT-07 Forum

2019 MT07 oil pressure

Max of Millbrook

Max of Millbrook

Anyone know the spec for oil pressure? I have 20,000 kms on the bike with no issues. I added a mechanical oil pressure gauge this winter. Just took it out. Cold oil pressure was up to 85 psi, once warm it was at 40 psi at 4000 rpm. Shockingly at idle it was about 10 psi. Seems like an extreme range. Anyone with experience or Yamaha specs?

M. Hausknecht

An old rule of thumb for race engines is 10 psi per thousand rpm, unregulated. Mossrider's info is from the 07 Service Manual. There is no info from Yamaha for minimum oil pressure at idle but I wouldn't worry about 10 psi as long as its up to 20 or nearly so by 2000 rpm. Nonetheless, if OP remains concerned, if using 10W-40, you go to 10 or 15W-50. It won't do any harm but oil drag will increase along with pressure.

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
16 hours ago, Max of Millbrook said:

I added a mechanical oil pressure gauge this winter

Post a pic or two, I like to see your guage and oil line pickup.

Can't think of any sport bike I put oil pressure guage on, and I'm old, but remember putting oil temperature on a Roadstar Warrior because Texas heat and big air cooled twin made me curious how hot in town traffic

Edited by Pursuvant

Service Manual State 280.0 kPa/5000 r/min (2.80 kgf/cm2/5000 r/min,
40.6 psi/5000 r/min)

Idle speed between 1250-1450, taking the mid range = 1350rpm

40.6/5000 = 0.00812psi per revolution.
0.00812x1350 = 10.9PSI..

I think is perfectly fine as during idle speed it does not have much wear and tear inside the inside as long you din throttle the bike..Plus I did not hear any of oil pump failure in MT07 yet..

Max of Millbrook
Just now, Shyan said:

Service Manual State 280.0 kPa/5000 r/min (2.80 kgf/cm2/5000 r/min,
40.6 psi/5000 r/min)

Idle speed between 1250-1450, taking the mid range = 1350rpm

40.6/5000 = 0.00812psi per revolution.
0.00812x1350 = 10.9PSI..

I think is perfectly fine as during idle speed it does not have much wear and tear inside the inside as long you din throttle the bike..Plus I did not hear any of oil pump failure in MT07 yet..

Thank you. I have been out and it seems to be fine. Sometimes too much knowledge can be hazardous to ones self

After many years of drag racing cars I still constantly scan oil and temp gauges on cars. Oddly, it never crosses my mind on a bike. 

Just now, Max of Millbrook said:

Sometimes too much knowledge can be hazardous to ones self

Perhaps you're on to something here 😁

Just now, Max of Millbrook said:

Thank you. I have been out and it seems to be fine. Sometimes too much knowledge can be hazardous to ones self

Agree! I have bother alot on torquing down the bolt into correct spec but hey.. why bother yourself? Just enjoy the ride!😹

• 1 year later...

5 years ago I had air-cooled Triumph Thruxton that the PO had accessorized.  He put an oil pressure gauge on there down near the intakes.  I never looked at it.  I put a temporary one on the Norton so I could show the fellow it had good oil pressure so I could sell it.