The MT-07 Forum

Tweaks after first 400 miles

boulevard

First, I LOVE this bike and can't wait till there are a bazillion of these things on the road.

When I picked the bike up the clutch engaged very late and needed to be adjusted next to the engine since the adjustment at the bars was already turned all the way in.  This is probably a dealer set up mistake but still thought I'd share in case they are coming from the factory like this and dealers are skipping steps.  When my salesman was going over all the features he asked if he could take it around the shop since he was equally as excited as I was (I have bought a lot of bikes from him and we are close enough for hims to ask me something like this) It was interesting to me that he noticed how late the clutch engaged and commented as if it wasn't adjustable .. . hahaha.  "Wow that clutch engages late compared to my bike" he says as opposed to "let me take that in to service and have them adjust it for you."  I fixed it when I got home since I was ready to leave

The chain tension was extremely loose at 300 miles.  I am not sure if it was just initial break in or loose to begin with as I didn't check it when I first picked the bike up.  I discovered it after noticing that I could hear the chain more than what I thought was normal.  When I got home I was showing like 3 inches of wiggle.  

So, to wrap it up.  Salesmen don't know very much about the mechanics of your bike, and service departments are lazy so double check your stuff before you head out.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bmsvSw3azbM/U76tcTDXCxI/AAAAAAAAATw/3ClAI5vSU9M/w948-h711-no/2014-07-07+18.56.12.jpg

• Global Moderator

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check the chain and clutch when I pick mine up.

I just had my 600 mile service done and tightening of the chain was one of the items done.

It was loose I guess.

As for the clutch not too sure about mine . its only my third bike and it feels okay. But Im a novice rider at the moment.

Sorry to hear that, Man. Dealer should have caught that loose chain and clutch adjustment.

I don't let dealerships work on my bikes. A good bike mechanic with the proper tools and experience doesn't work for dealerships very often.

Dealers can't keep good mechanics, for the most part. They just don't pay very well. And in the slow months is when they lose alot of their best mechanics. Often, they will pay one guy just enough to keep him for a while as a service manager, but the guys he hires are all trainees. If we did a poll across the country on how many bikes get screwed up at dealers it would be shocking.

The good bikes mechanics leave dealerships to start their own shops and build a loyal client base. They make more money and also charge far less then the dealerships.

For my FZ-09 when it was time for the Throttle Body Sync (very important BTW) the Dealer wanted $200 to do it. My mechanic did it for $60. In fact, my Mechanic used to be my dealers Service Manager.

Ask around your area for who the top private bike shops are and stick with them.

dead on cruzin. i bought my moto from a small husband and wife dealer in small town outside of columbus oh. called hebron. the guy who owns the place is in his sixties and still rides races ducatis. he sold the bike to me, prepped it, and went over the bike head to toe with me. his wife did the financing and paper work. he adjusted the shift lever for me before i went home after i took it down the road for an initial ride after prep. after the adjustment, we went over ther bike again and he asked me if it felt ok. i was extremely impressed. if i need servicing done i will go back to this guy.

• Global Moderator

I just got back from service and my chain was loose too. But the dealer is not to blame, it was fine when they delivered the bike to me ast week.
I was extremely impressed with my dealer. The delivery last great, they also took the time to explain everything, 1.5 hours in total. Even the 1k (600 mile) service was excellent. The bike felt different and he addressed all my remarks and concerns. They even gave me a free Yamaha T shirt as a thank you.
I normally don't go to a dealer for service, but I am tempted to go back.

• Premium Member

Things may be different in Canada because you guys are weird

Ya exactly eh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got 200 miles on the bike, and in the middle of a long jaunt i took with a buddy of mine, i noticed the chain was looking a bit sag. it was. when i left the dealer, it was right on. but this seems to be something to just keep an eye on.

The choice of dealer is very important. Some dealers in my area are on my black list because of their crappy service. Some give better price for buying a new bike. But, don't expect good service. I know there's always exceptions. The rule is to know your dealer. I'm doing business regularly with 2 dealers that gain my confidence. Last fall, my Yamaha dealer let me try his FZ-09 even when i told him i'd not buy this bike. I test ride a few bikes from this dealer outside of his demo ride days.

I'm no stranger to this store. But, i have to say that they commandite me in the past. Can't hurt. :)

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Guest ybcheese

A lot of good information on this thread. You should definitely have a check list ready when you walk into a dealer, or buy any bike for that matter.

My chain needed adjusting after 75 miles. Must be they initially stretch a lot? This is my first NEW chain drive bike. My last chain drive bike came home in boxes! A wrecked Yama seca II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRokay Raggie

Guest montana07

Anyone know what size the axle nut is? It appears I don't have one large enough in my tool box, and there is too much slack for me to feel comfortable driving it to the store to test them in the parking lot.

ill check the clutch it  is way later engagement then the fz8 I test drovealso my chain was very loose and loud and after I tightened  it its still real loud or so it seems

Guest montana07

So I went ahead and adjusted the chain myself. Newb wrenching, but it took way longer than expected. First I overtightened, and then when I went to loosen I couldn't get the right hand side to match the left. Finally figured it out, the adjustment isn't really noticeable on right side plate until you tighten the axle nut. So loosen axle nut, loosen right side adjustment nut, tighten axle, check right side adjustment plate, tighten right side adjustment nut. Repeat until alignment matches the left hand side.

Archived