The MT-07 Forum

R7 OEM quick shifter and forks

FrodoFZ

M. Hausknecht

I don't recall specifically but I think it came with the cams, so Millennium should have received it and forwarded it to you. I had pistons shipped to Millennium for fitting to repaired and replated cylinders; they just put everything back in the CP pistons box and included it with the cylinder when they shipped to me.  I sent Web a set of stock cams nearly 2 months ago; I guess it'll be a few months more before I should expect to see them.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:37 PM, Randy said:

So there is a discussion on here titled “FZ07R….is the r6 fork swap worth it”….highly encourage you to read it. But to answer your question, the FZ/MT forks flex while under high stress. The R6 ones do not which upsets the chassis. Racers have documented of cracked and warped frames due to the transfer of that stress to the frame.

As far as the geometry issue, no cartridges will not address that. But the addition of the ROBEM Engineering triples with adjustable offsets will. The stock offset is 40mm, which is ok if you’re going in a straight line. Change that to a 26mm and you’ll start carving up some corners. But the real problem with the bike is the rear link. It does not allow the shock to ride where it needs to be in its stroke. Once you correct that you will have a much more planted and predictable rear end.

Thanks for the info! That's very interesting. While the internals of my stock 07 forks were nothing to write home about I do miss their rigidity. My FZ 09 forks are very flexible in comparison. It's somewhat annoying to be honest. With Nix cartridges and a custom shock I could not outride my 07 chassis. With full Ktech treatment ( the damping it's very good) I can outride the 09 chassis easily 😒

Carillo rods were mentioned before. Have y'all spoke to Carillo directly about your plans?

The reason is ask is we called Carrillo recently to talk about rods. I'm turbo'ing a WR450 and aiming for 100hp and another buddy is building something else. Carillo told me that they design their rods to be lighter and rev quicker, but that I should not use their rod for my intentions due to the stock rod being stronger. 

I'm not saying that's true of all their rods, it might only apply to this specific WR engine. Something to consider, anyway. I was really impressed with their openness on the matter. 

Edited by shinyribs

On 4/28/2022 at 8:21 PM, shinyribs said:

Thanks for the info! That's very interesting. While the internals of my stock 07 forks were nothing to write home about I do miss their rigidity. My FZ 09 forks are very flexible in comparison. It's somewhat annoying to be honest. With Nix cartridges and a custom shock I could not outride my 07 chassis. With full Ktech treatment ( the damping it's very good) I can outride the 09 chassis easily 😒

Carillo rods were mentioned before. Have y'all spoke to Carillo directly about your plans?

The reason is ask is we called Carrillo recently to talk about rods. I'm turbo'ing a WR450 and aiming for 100hp and another buddy is building something else. Carillo told me that they design their rods to be lighter and rev quicker, but that I should not use their rod for my intentions due to the stock rod being stronger. 

I'm not saying that's true of all their rods, it might only apply to this specific WR engine. Something to consider, anyway. I was really impressed with their openness on the matter. 

No I haven’t. I believe I’m good to go since it’s an H-beam rod, but that extra insurance wouldn’t be a bad idea. 

That’s so interesting that they said that about their WR-specific rods. I’m almost 100% sure OEM WR rods are cast, and if I’m not mistaken all Carrillo rods are either forged or billet, which inherently is stronger than cast.

I do know they list their A-beam rods for use in high revving applications with limited cylinder pressures, so maybe the guy misspoke when he said the OEM rod is stronger while also recommending not using for boosted applications. That’s what I’m thinking. Lol I’m willing to bet that OEM rod wouldn’t handle nearly as much power as the Carrillo. 

shinyribs

Yeah, I don't know all the different types of rods they produce, or what types are available for what engines. I guess the 450 woods bike market doesn't have high demand for aftermarket rods. I dunno. It was all very odd, just something to be aware of.