The MT-07 Forum

The Quest for Perfect Suspension

bornagainbiker

I don't care who you are, Ryan is definitely entertaining and mostly informative.    If only more suspension people could make things more understandable in such a way it would be great.

One comment would be that rear linkage may or may not be progreassive in an increasing pattern.  It may be virtually flat or decreasing depending on design.   Either way, the best way to near perfect suspension is to get someone who knows it to sell you the stuff or do the mods for you.   

Just my thoughts...   

• Like 1

I don't think people that push for using progressive springs understand that you need progressive damping to go along with it. 

Plonk progressive springs in a set of forks with original damping circuits and the rebound circuit can't take it. When that overly stiff portion of the spring goes to uncompress it's gonna outrun the damping and you're in buck city. Some will go over a bump and feel the bars buck back and exclaim " wow, feedback!" 

Progressive springs are touted as an easy drop-in fix, but they often create more problems than the one they're assumed to fix. But they just sound so... progressive.

Likewise, don't throw straight rate springs on suspension originally designed for progressive springs. Everything is a case by case basis. 

• Like 2