The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha R7 Side cover to MT07?

Shyan

Anyone done this before? R7 Side cover provide better rigidity on the chassis but I dont want to change 07's base panel..

Untitled.png

There's another thread about this from a year or so ago, but I don't remember the answer to your question.   I wouldn't expect any measurable rigidity improvement though.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Yeah, this was discussed briefly in a post a few months ago. I recall examining the parts diagrams and concluding the FZ/MT frame and the R7 frame differ in where and how their respective side pieces attach. The foot peg mounts differ significantly.  I also don't think anyone but the most sensitive of road racers (with the stickiest of tires) at the pointy end of the field can feel the difference between between the two frames. The greater stiffness of the R7 forks is another matter. It is the biggest difference between the two chassis; not these wimpy bolt-on side pieces. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Last year I had the opportunity to speak with Hayden Schultz and his mechanic in their pits at NJMP during MotoAmerica. We were looking at Hayden's new R7 and I had asked about the side plates. Both Hayden and his mechanic said that they made a noticeable difference on the R7 compared to the FZ. The frames are basically the same. They handed me one of the side covers to inspect. I was surprised to see that it seems to be a relatively light weight cast part. But I guess it adds enough strength for the intended purpose. 

Looking at the mounting points, it uses a different base plate for the foot pegs that have 2 threaded bosses for the base of the side cover to mount to. The single top bolt looks like it lines up with one of the original passenger peg mount bosses on the FZ frame. So the base plates and side cover should both be bolt-ons for the FZ. I contemplated buying these parts but I am not sure that I would actually notice a difference at my current skill level. So I spent the money on a Brembo RCS 17 Master Cylinder.🙂

That's my 2 cents. 
Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

M. Hausknecht
7 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Last year I had the opportunity to speak with Hayden Schultz and his mechanic in their pits at NJMP during MotoAmerica. We were looking at Hayden's new R7 and I had asked about the side plates. Both Hayden and his mechanic said that they made a noticeable difference on the R7 compared to the FZ. The frames are basically the same. They handed me one of the side covers to inspect. I was surprised to see that it seems to be a relatively light weight cast part. But I guess it adds enough strength for the intended purpose. 

Looking at the mounting points, it uses a different base plate for the foot pegs that have 2 threaded bosses for the base of the side cover to mount to. The single top bolt looks like it lines up with one of the original passenger peg mount bosses on the FZ frame. So the base plates and side cover should both be bolt-ons for the FZ. I contemplated buying these parts but I am not sure that I would actually notice a difference at my current skill level. So I spent the money on a Brembo RCS 17 Master Cylinder.🙂

That's my 2 cents. 
Ed

Yeah, like I said, only "the most sensitive of road racers (with the stickiest of tires) at the pointy end of the field" can feel the difference. 🤓  Thanks Ed!

MotoAmerica rules don't currently allow added frame gussets or extra bracing, so that stuff isn't an option for Hayden. Other race organizations allow added frame bracing in their superbike classes (WERA and CCS/ASRA, as examples), so there are frame bracing options for the rest of us. All you need is some steel bits, a welder and the skill to use it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

MotoAmerica rules don't currently allow added frame gussets or extra bracing, so that stuff isn't an option for Hayden.

The frame brace is a factory installed component on the R7. That’s not allowed by MA?

Ed

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Evill_Ed said:

The frame brace is a factory installed component on the R7. That’s not allowed by MA?

Ed

No, it is allowed on an R7 in MA but not allowed by MA on an FZ/MT as a retrofit. My point is more that in some/most other race organizations and, obviously, in every other context, you can add gussets and other frame bracing to your heart's content if you think it matters. Personally, if I thought I'd go faster with a braced frame, I'd make my own bracing and weld it on before I'd buy some bolt on parts.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

No, it is allowed on an R7 in MA but not allowed by MA on an FZ/MT as a retrofit. My point is more that in some/most other race organizations and, obviously, in every other context, you can add gussets and other frame bracing to your heart's content if you think it matters. Personally, if I thought I'd go faster with a braced frame, I'd make my own bracing and weld it on before I'd buy some bolt on parts.

Gotcha.

Ed