The MT-07 Forum

Amazon KYN exhaust

Jtetreault

I am looking at getting an Amazon KYN exhaust for my 2020 mt-07, does anyone have any experience with this exhaust? And second to add an aftermarket exhaust to these bikes they say the ECU needs a tune. Is all they do on the tune is make it run more rich because the exhaust makes it lean? 

Hi.  I've heard nothing but bad things about Chinese "knock-off" full exhausts (and pretty much everything else...).  At the very least, fitment seems to nearly always be a disaster, with things needing some "finessing."  

And not to be holy-roller, but these jerk-offs poach ideas and IP from the companies that invest in it and make the product the right and hard way.  I'm not sure which exhaust this one is ripping off, but I've seen "fakes" of Akras, Yoshi's, etc., and it's just downright low the way that they steal designs.   I know it's hard to beat the price, but what's the real "cost?"  Again, not trying to be judgmental here, per se, just throwing that out there.

That said, yes, anytime I'd put a full exhaust on, I'd get a tune.  You'd probably be best with a PC / Bazzaz and use one of their "out of the box" tunes that's set up for a full exhaust.  That's what I do for all of my street bikes: full system, trick air filter / intake, and "off the shelf" map & tune.  I'm not sure what parameters it changes, but I'm pretty sure that's never just F/A ratio.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Getting a "good deal" on an exhaust, is like getting a good deal on a tattoo 😆. You will most likely regret it... This is one of those cases where you really do get what you pay for. Getting your ECU flashed by a reputable shop, (like 2WDW) will most likely turn out better. They have a "flash" for most major brands. I would doubt they have one specifically for the KYN exhaust (maybe I'm wrong)? I have four bikes, and all have an aftermarket exhaust- some with full systems (for track), and others with just a slip-on (for the street). All of the ECU's have been flashed by 2WDW, and I've had nothing but happiness with their flash 😎. Good luck-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I’m not the one to usually cheap out on off brand parts but I’ve just seen so many good reviews on this exhaust saying it’s hard to tell the difference between this and the arkapovic that I was tempted at $300 vs over $1000

My guess is that for most people, other than being louder, it's hard to tell the difference from a stock system, too.

I got a buddy who first went with  a Amazon knockoff Akra. His headers needed to be squeezed together almost a half inch to fit, was missing a couple springs and leaked where the headers met the exhaust. After that I would never consider a Amazon full exhaust.

I can’t say any thing about the one you’re looking at, but if your main concern is sound and price, a slip on might not be a bad solution. Even if you don’t put a exhaust on it, getting your ecu flashed is still a great idea regardless. Many would argue it’s one of the best mods to do to these bikes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A YouTuber had emailed/called 2WDW and they told him the Amazon exhaust vs a brand exhaust will make no difference for the tune.  Yes fitment May be alittle off but not so much that the exhaust absolutely does not fit, meaning you need to take it to an exhaust guy and have them cut and weld it properly.   I have an Amazon header and pipe, fit great.  I even powder coated the header black.  Now I will say the price point reflects the metal quality.   Being a military machinist, I can see the quality is ok in comparison to real 304 SS which we use in the aircraft.  Yes the pipes are SS but not of high quality.  Make sure you replace the header gaskets! Hope this helps.