The MT-07 Forum

Oil change on 1k km

liamhill

Hey guys I have an MT07 2022, and next will I will finish the break-in process and get to 1K km.

In my country the recommended oil is Motul 5100 (semi-synthetic), do you recommend adding a few bucks and getting Motul 7100 (full-synthetic)? I will need 10W40 no matter which one I choose right?

Another question about chain lube, I bought the Motul C1 chain cleaner & Motul C4 chain lube (Factory line) Is that ok or should I choose another chain lube of Motul?

Thanks a lot.

I'll comment on the chain lube.  I live at the end of a gravel road.  I've been using DuPont Chain saver on all my motorcycles for a couple years now.  It is wax based  and sand and dirt doesn't stick to it and make grinding compound.  Also it doesn't tend to fling off and collect under the front sprocket cover.  I have both the liquid and the spray, and both work well.

I'm sure any modern motor oil that meets Yamaha's specifications will work very well.  "Best oil" threads usually just become a bunch of "I use" posts.  🙂

Welcome to the board!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
sweetscience
On 3/28/2022 at 12:00 PM, liamhill said:

Hey guys I have an MT07 2022, and next will I will finish the break-in process and get to 1K km.

In my country the recommended oil is Motul 5100 (semi-synthetic), do you recommend adding a few bucks and getting Motul 7100 (full-synthetic)? I will need 10W40 no matter which one I choose right?

Another question about chain lube, I bought the Motul C1 chain cleaner & Motul C4 chain lube (Factory line) Is that ok or should I choose another chain lube of Motul?

Thanks a lot.

I say stick to conventional oil for the first 3-4000 km.  This will allow for the engine to fully break in.  Then if you want the smoothness in engine vibes, transmission shifting that full synthetic has to offer, then go full synthetic.  I've used the 7100 on other bike and am very pleased with it, enough so that I will never go back to conventional oil.

I never tried the semi-synth, don't really see the point, may as well get the best bang if you're going synthetic.

10W40 is the average oil grade for most riders.  Oil grade depends on climate temperatures and riding conditions.  So if you live in a hotter climate vs a four season riding year then you could experiment.   

Edited by sweetscience

Belray Super Clean and Yamalube conventional oil for me.

My chains don't wear out, I just replace them with the orings start falling apart, usually around 25,000 miles. I can wear out two or more chains without any wear to my sprockets. How often you clean your chain is more important than what lube you use. I never adjust my chains as the just don't "stretch". 

I sent oil out to be analyzed by Blackstone Labs. According to them, my FZ 07 running conventional Yamalube was the cleanest oil in their database  for other bikes using the same engine. I'm sure there are others great oils, but if it impressed the company that analyzes oil for a living, then I'm impressed as well. At 6,000 miles they say the oil is still good to go further. At $22/gallon it's nice to have a reasonably priced option that's of known good quality. 

There are many options. But there are two examples of trustworthy products with data I've seen to back their validity.  

• Like 1

Just now, shinyribs said:

sent oil out to be analyzed by Blackstone Labs. According to them, my FZ 07 running conventional Yamalube was the cleanest oil in their database  for other bikes using the same engine.

Yeah, decent quality "conventional" oil is good stuff.  I know a bunch of guys who believe that synthetic is WAY better, reduces wear, etc.  Unless I have an engine that runs exceptionally hot, for example, I don't buy into that.  And liquid cooled motorcycle engines don't run particularly hot at all.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

My feeling is that it does not matter what oil you use as long as it has the correct motorcycle rating (never use car oil) and you change it at least as often as the manufacturer recommends.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 12:00 PM, liamhill said:

In my country the recommended oil is Motul 5100 (semi-synthetic), do you recommend adding a few bucks and getting Motul 7100 (full-synthetic)?

I have 16,000 miles on my FZ-07. I've used conventional Yamalube, Castrol ActEvo and Motul 7100. My bike absolutely runs the best on the Castrol ActEvo which is a semi-synthetic. I initially started with the Yamaha then went from the Castrol to the Motul and back to the Castrol, and have been using it ever since. My FZ revved and shifted noticeably better on the Castrol. I really wanted to like the Motul but it sorta sucked compared to the Castrol.