The MT-07 Forum

Radiator Compatibility

RyanS93

I am currently needing a new radiator and my friend just bought a new 21' MT-07 which has an all black radiator. As I have a 17' FZ-07 I was curious if these parts would be compatible to my year/model. There also seems to be a price difference between the parts (newer is cheaper)

Plus an all black OEM radiator...... yes please. 

Worst case if nobody really knows the answer to this I guess I'll be the guinea pig. Whats the worst thing that happens, I have to return it.

sweetscience

Interesting, the price difference is huge.

'21 radiator:  B4T-12461-00-00, $190.00

'17 radiator:  1WS-12461-00-00, $260.00

I would bet they are the same.  The first three digits in the nomenclature could just be paint scheme, IDK.

Check the dealers restocking fee if not compatible.  Have you searched fleabay for a used one?

• Like 1

sweetscience

The only other difference could be mounting brackets for the side fairings, maybe.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I have experience with this company. They appear to be better quality than OEM. I too would prefer the black.... I just put a black radiator grill/cover in front of it-

s-l400.jpg

Fits : 2015 2016 2017 Yamaha FZ07. Stronger & higher capacity than your OEM/Factory radiator. All aluminum alloy construction assembled using 100% precision TIG welds. Made of high quality...

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

sweetscience

So what's the benefit of painting the radiator black?  Other than looks, would not the extra layer of paint impede some heat dissipation?   

Sorry off topic, but yeah, raw alum, and higher capacity the way to go, me thinks.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Black (matte or flat finish) radiates more effectively than natural as long as the paint layer is thinish, but the difference is insignificant unless you're asking the radiator to radiate appreciably more heat than stock (plus 20hp or more) in which case black is better.

• Like 2

Well......update.

I bought the 21' MT-07 radiator we'll see how it goes

BTW the part number was B4T-12461-00-00 as sweetscience note. But I don't know where you got those part prices from.

I went through Partzilla and it was only $135.00 and the 17' radiator was $190.00 

21 hours ago, sweetscience said:

The only other difference could be mounting brackets for the side fairings, maybe.

I had thought about the fairing mounting points possibly being different. But if that's the case I guess I could try the 21' fairings. If there anything close to the radiator fairings in price for the 17' they're around $7.00

Just now, RyanS93 said:

I had thought about the fairing mounting points possibly being different. But if that's the case I guess I could try the 21' fairings. If there anything close to the radiator fairings in price for the 17' they're around $7.00

Turns out they're also cheaper $5.20 .... and more complex as they now house the new led lights. 

I'm getting the feeling that its new so parts are readily available?

M. Hausknecht
6 hours ago, RyanS93 said:

Turns out they're also cheaper $5.20 .... and more complex as they now house the new led lights. 

I'm getting the feeling that its new so parts are readily available?

FWIW, I've encountered delays of several weeks to a couple of months getting OEM engine parts for the 07 over the course of the last 18 months. I have a motor in pieces for which I still can't get case bolts, valve seals, and assorted gaskets; on back-order for over 6 weeks now with no estimated arrival date. 

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 3/28/2022 at 4:03 PM, M. Hausknecht said:

FWIW, I've encountered delays of several weeks to a couple of months getting OEM engine parts for the 07 over the course of the last 18 months. I have a motor in pieces for which I still can't get case bolts, valve seals, and assorted gaskets; on back-order for over 6 weeks now with no estimated arrival date. 

I feel your frustration...... I bought a salvage" R3 from an insurance broker for my wife's track bike. That was a little over a year ago. It took all of 6 months to get common parts to get it ready for the 2021 season. With all the Yamaha supply-chain issues, I told her if she crashes, it may the end of her track season 🙁. Salvage-yard price, on common parts have nearly double since COVID. I'm ready for the world to start turning again-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

So I have solid resolution for this.

It turns out the new radiator is completely compatible.

Side by side.jpg

rad assembled.jpg

rad installed.jpg

• Like 4