The MT-07 Forum

OK, daft Qn time.... mirror/lever angles ?

Weeksy

Was looking and after the dealer fitted my heated grips when i bought the bike, the levers have been fitted at different angles, with the clutch angled flatter than the brake. As no-one touched the brake, i'm making the assumption this is the correct angle... 

So i moved the clutch down to match but the mirror stalk seems a completely different angle and seems to be too far forward compared to the brake stalk. Obviously the levers are now matched in angle.... but the stalks i'd say not.

So.... humor me a minute and have a look at yours please.

• Like 1

Civiltechyyc

Sit on your bike and take a sideways profile picture of yourself. The front brake lever and clutch lever should follow the exact same angle as your shoulders and arms when sitting straight up. This is what I consider the standard method for ergonomics on a bike. You can always adjust but use this as a starting point. There’s no “must be in this spot” for anyone. It’s up to you to adjust for your liking.

I just went and checked mine, my levers are as even as can be with a noticeable difference to the angle the mirrors come off the bars. I’m kinda surprised the OCD never caught that.

edit: sorry for shitty picture. Just ran out and snapped one real quick

278DBC41-0DAA-46F2-9F6E-E60A1D0BB55E.jpeg

Edited by Mt707
  • Haha 1

When I got my MT-07 I noticed that my mirror bosses on the levers do not come out at the same angle when the levers are in the same position, so you're not alone.  As Civiltechyyc said, There's no correct position for the levers, so just adjust them to be most comfortable for you, and live with the mirror mount position.

I was not happy with the difficulty of keeping my stock mirrors tight, and I had to take them off when putting the bike in my van because they stuck up so high, so I went with my long time favorite bar-end mirror solution, using Rhino mirror adapters.

There's no angle they have to sit on. Put them where they're comfortable to you. Tall guys with higher shoulders generally have them angled down vs shorter folks tend to have them a little flatter. But there's no magic angle you have to aim for. 

After suffering some nerve damage in my right hand I can't reach a lever that's pointed down very far, and I still I like my clutch levers down a bit, so my levers are never equal these days. 

• Like 1

The mirror stalk angles is an annoying byproduct of Yamaha sourcing hardware from random companies. Bar end mirrors can put your OCD to rest if it gets too bad 😁

• Like 1

Just now, shinyribs said:

There's no angle they have to sit on. Put them where they're comfortable to you. Tall guys with higher shoulders generally have them angled down vs shorter folks tend to have them a little flatter. But there's no magic angle you have to aim for. 

After suffering some nerve damage in my right hand I can't reach a lever that's pointed down very far, and I still I like my clutch levers down a bit, so my levers are never equal these days. 

I wasn't commenting on the actual angles, I don't want to open that can of worms, it was more the stalks and relative angles that I wanted to refer to 

Not just me then.

• Like 1

Yakko Warner

I noticed this with the mirror stalks too.

If you have the oem handlebar, there are punch marks to help align the brake lever holder.

1.png

2.png

The punch marks are for pointing the handlebar clamps the right direction. The clamps aren't symmetrical, they have a long and a short leg. You're meant to bottom out the long leg so that the short leg can act as a clamp. I have seen guys snap them not paying attention and being unaware. 

A friend used to have his levers on his 125 Pursang at about a 45-55° angle down below horizontal.   No way I could ride his bike, couldn't reach the levers decently.  But it worked for him.   I have small hands and my levers are maybe 10° below horizontal, pretty much a straight reach for my fingers as I hold the bars.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Interesting topic 😎..... The very first thing I do when I purchase a new bike, is set up me ME personally-  Most dealers set-up bikes with the levers too "high" for my liking. I always seem adjust the the levers lower (towards the ground). This works for me, and I usually end up hateing the mirror adjustment options after I adjust the levers. It's a balancing act, set the levers to what feels comfortable to YOU.... There is no "wrong" location (other than what feels awkward to you) 😆-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely true.  To each their own, find out what feels right. 

I remember people complaining about handlebars, then I loosen the bars and rotate them back a shade, usually with the rise, when looking from the side, parallel to the fork tubes, and the customer finds they feel right.   Seems Honda always had the handlebars rotated too far forward on bikes like the Gold Wing, CB900/750 Customs, and most of the cruisers.

• Like 2