The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust insert question

RKG83

I recently picked up a 2021 MT 07, it came with a Yoshimura R-77 full exhaust system. The previous owner said it didn't come with an insert or baffle, not sure how true that is but no biggy I think I found the piece I need for like $35 which is cool. The owner said he had the bike tuned and everything, my question is; would an insert mess with the bike? My buddy says not to mess with it since its been tuned to its current specs without a baffle.

The bike is a little too loud at the moment for me so I would like to get it a little quieter but dont want to screw anything up. What are your guys thoughts on this?

This is the piece I think I need however not sure what type or size I need?

Yoshimura Low Volume AMA Legal Insert Kit RS-2/RS-4 Mufflers - RevZilla

Not sure why the link isnt working...

Edited by RKG83

• Premium Member
cornerslider

While I can't speak for that particular set-up. I have the Akrapovic Ti system, with a removable baffle. When I sent my ECU into 2WDW to be flashed, I asked them if I had to decide if I wanted the insert or not? They told me "it won't make any difference either way with the fueling". The insert on the Akrapovic is probably one of the most restrictive inserts I've seen. I've run it on the street, with the baffle, and on the track without the baffle. There was no noticeable change in power delivery.... All that changed was the sound. Without the insert it was WAY too loud. I only rode it for one day like that, and the insert has been in ever since. I think you would be fine 😎-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I was told by 2WDW I can remove the baffle of the Yoshimura R77 with little difference as well.  As in, it doesn't matter performance-wise.

But, just a warning, it won't be much quieter in or out, it changes the tone.  Without baffle it sounds angrier.  But volume wise, it is about the same.  I eventually kept the baffle out due to this realization.  I also swap back the OEM muffler in and out when I'm in the mood for a quieter ride.   I know that doesn't help you at all.  I guess what I am saying is you will need a different muffler if you really want it to be quieter than it is now.  To date, one of the quieter non-OEM muffler is the Akra titanium with baffle in.  And if it is too quiet, many people usually shave off an inch (angle grind/hacksaw) from the baffle length to make it a bit louder.  But then, without the baffle, the Akra Ti will be roughly the same loudness as the Yoshimura.

Or just wear earplugs if you don't already if it is a matter of ride volume.

Edited by SkH

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Just now, SkH said:

I was told by 2WDW I can remove the baffle of the Yoshimura R77 with little difference as well.  As in, it doesn't matter performance-wise.

But, just a warning, it won't be much quieter in or out, it changes the tone.  Without baffle it sounds angrier.  But volume wise, it is about the same.  I eventually kept the baffle out due to this realization.  I also swap back the OEM muffler in and out when I'm in the mood for a quieter ride.   I know that doesn't help you at all.  I guess what I am saying is you will need a different muffler if you really want it to be quieter than it is now.  To date, one of the quieter non-OEM muffler is the Akra titanium with baffle in.  And if it is too quiet, many people usually shave off an inch (angle grind/hacksaw) from the baffle length to make it a bit louder.  But then, without the baffle, the Akra Ti will be roughly the same loudness as the Yoshimura.

Or just wear earplugs if you don't already if it is a matter of ride volume.

Even if it’s a little quieter that’ll be fine, it’s a cool exhaust don’t want to take it off just a little too loud for my liking.  How do I figure out which one I need to order off of Rev Zilla? 

no idea whether to order the RS2, or RS4, or which size 1.2 or 1.3 diameter.  

I don't know if that insert will fit since it's for their RS2/4 mufflers.  The muffler on the FZ/MT uses the R77.  

Here's the link to the R77 insert; https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/products/insert-kit-low-volume-r-77-muffler-ins-04-k But the picture doesn't look like the one i have on my yoshi base on the photo.

Here's another link to the R77 insert which has the correct photo as the one I have on mine however I guess the screen at the end is new?  https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/products/sound-insert-kit-for-alpha-at2-r77-mufflers-ins-35-k

Best to email Yoshimura.

SkH is right on the money on baffle in/out on the yoshi.  I left the baffle in on mine

Edited by cencalmoto

Just now, cencalmoto said:

I don't know if that insert will fit since it's for their RS2/4 mufflers.  The muffler on the FZ/MT uses the R77.  

Here's the link to the R77 insert; https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/products/insert-kit-low-volume-r-77-muffler-ins-04-k But the picture doesn't look like the one i have on my yoshi base on the photo.

Here's another link to the R77 insert which has the correct photo as the one I have on mine however I guess the screen at the end is new?  https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/products/sound-insert-kit-for-alpha-at2-r77-mufflers-ins-35-k

Best to email Yoshimura.

SkH is right on the money on baffle in/out on the yoshi.  I left the baffle in on mine

Yeah think I’m gonna email them, I know it’s the R-77 exhaust that’s on the bike just not which one of those links you posted I should go with.  Thank you.