The MT-07 Forum

Coolant pipe white corrosion

rickchardet

rickchardet

So this is my 3rd mt-07, and every single one has had this white corrosion on the coolant pipes which is impossible to clean off. I know it's not coolant, so possibly residue from cleaning products? 

Does anyone have any tips on removing this? Or is the only option to take it off and respray it with some heat resistant paint? 

Also, isn't it unacceptable that I've had 3 generations of the same bike with the exact same problem? 

20220312_113240.jpg

• Like 1

sweetscience

I have yet to pick up my 2nd gen MT, and I don't know what would cause that.  But looks like Yamaha used cheap paint.  If it was me, I'd just get it powdercoated or get an engine cover.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

You are not the first person to experience this exact problem. I've seen other posts about this same issue.... I just looked at my 2016, and it still looks brand new.... It could be an environmental thing, maybe chemicals such as flouride, etc. in the water, or the brand of soap you use when you wash your bike. I never clean my bike with soap/water. I've been using this stuff for well over a decade. It is also the best cleaner I've found for cleaning the bugs off my helmet/visor.... "Bike Spirits", see attached Amazon link-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

rickchardet
14 hours ago, sweetscience said:

I have yet to pick up my 2nd gen MT, and I don't know what would cause that.  But looks like Yamaha used cheap paint.  If it was me, I'd just get it powdercoated or get an engine cover.

Yeah I agree, think it's just sub par quality sadly. I'll probably get some coolant pipe covers from GB racing to cover them up.

rickchardet
14 hours ago, cornerslider said:

You are not the first person to experience this exact problem. I've seen other posts about this same issue.... I just looked at my 2016, and it still looks brand new.... It could be an environmental thing, maybe chemicals such as flouride, etc. in the water, or the brand of soap you use when you wash your bike. I never clean my bike with soap/water. I've been using this stuff for well over a decade. It is also the best cleaner I've found for cleaning the bugs off my helmet/visor.... "Bike Spirits", see attached Amazon link-

Interesting, might give this a go! Don't think it's going to remove what's already caked on though sadly

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Powder coating may be the best option at this point. Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure it's from too thin of a coating and the metal oxidizing. The only way to fix it is to recoat it with something thicker. It's a shame that Yamaha hasn't fixed this as I've had this problem since the original 2015 US version.

• Like 1

The tubes on my MT-07 are steel with what seems to be black power coating.