The MT-07 Forum

2017 Fz07 No Dash Backlight

MMace28

So recently my dash backlight no longer works, making it impossible to see my dash at night. I'm unsure of the cause or solution.

I've looked extensively for answers but cant seem to find any. I took my dash apart and all the solders, ribbon cable and  ribbon connection looks healthy. My battery is healthy and charged, and all other lights work on the dash. I changed the brightness, didn't do anything. I'm beginning to believe it's a wiring issue somewhere on the bike. Yes, I have the wiring diagram (HERE) but it is impossible to read for me. 

Long story short, which wire controls the backlight and where does it go? And worst case scenario does anyone know any trust worthy bike shops in the Milwaukee area? If you have any tips, ideas or solutions let me know any help is appreciated. 

You have to use that diagram with the key that lists all the things that the numbers in the diagram connect to.  It shows that fuse 7 supplies power to the two dash ("Mult-function meter") LEDs.  That fuse also supplies power to things like the fan motor and the engine start/stop switch, so it's unlikely the fuse is the problem if you you can start the engine.

The diagram shows a 2-pin connector on the dash that supplies power to the backlight LEDs and to the neutral indicator (separately).  That's where power to the backlight goes in.  With a meter, you should be able to tell if power is on both pins when the bike is in neutral, and that power to one pin goes off when it's not in neutral.  #51 on the diagram is the neutral LED and #52 is the backlight LEDs.

Welcome to the board, MMace28!

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 2

sweetscience

Yeah, if the neutral light is working, then it's probable the 2 LED's of the backlight are blown.  It would be odd however, that they die at the same time and at low miles.  Lots of shops can resolder new LED's, if that's the case.

Have you seen the Koso dash gauge?   It's sick, TFT color....etc.   

• Like 1

Just now, Triple Jim said:

You have to use that diagram with the key that lists all the things that the numbers in the diagram connect to.  It shows that fuse 7 supplies power to the two dash ("Mult-function meter") LEDs.  That fuse also supplies power to things like the fan motor and the engine start/stop switch, so it's unlikely the fuse is the problem if you you can start the engine.

The diagram shows a 2-pin connector on the dash that supplies power to the backlight LEDs and to the neutral indicator (separately).  That's where power to the backlight goes in.  With a meter, you should be able to tell if power is on both pins when the bike is in neutral, and that power to one pin goes off when it's not in neutral.  #51 on the diagram is the neutral LED and #52 is the backlight LEDs.

Welcome to the board, MMace28!

I had the idea of using a multi meter but wasn't sure where. I'm definitely going to try that and I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks for the welcome!

Just now, sweetscience said:

Yeah, if the neutral light is working, then it's probable the 2 LED's of the backlight are blown.  It would be odd however, that they die at the same time and at low miles.  Lots of shops can resolder new LED's, if that's the case.

Have you seen the Koso dash gauge?   It's sick, TFT color....etc.   

If I see that all the power is going where it should be I probably will get them resoldered. But seeing how both would blow at the same time, with no other issue seems unlikely. I have about 10K on the dash. I just checked out the Koso, it is really cool. If i need to get a new dash, worst case scenario, I'll definitely get something like that. Thank you!

• Global Moderator
Just now, scat2me said:

Do you have a picture of this on your bike?

If you follow the link there is a photo of it on a bike.  This is a very tempting upgrade, I may have to get one for my birthday. :) 

Oh I thought you bought one and that is why you recommended it. I don't see any reviews on it. That's a lot of money for something with no reviews or history .

• Like 1

nozeitgeist1800

you wont find any reviews or anything on the link i sent, the guys site is organized by a potato. that said, he's always 10% cheaper minimum, great service when i have questions, and if i cant find something on the site i just email them and have yet to be told they dont have something. im obviously happy enough with my experiences that i will shill for them at every opportunity. 

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

you wont find any reviews or anything on the link i sent, the guys site is organized by a potato. that said, he's always 10% cheaper minimum, great service when i have questions, and if i cant find something on the site i just email them and have yet to be told they dont have something. im obviously happy enough with my experiences that i will shill for them at every opportunity. 

What does “organized by a potato” mean?  I have not heard that expression before. 

nozeitgeist1800
Just now, mjh937 said:

What does “organized by a potato” mean?  I have not heard that expression before. 

sorry, not really an expression, just meaning that it was organized by someone with the organizational skills of a potato. half of the stuff on the site is under the "yoshimura" brand category even though its every brand there. or it isnt on the site at all but when i email asking hes always got a link

• Like 1

sweetscience

According to Koso:  

Fuel meter
R: 6 levels | U: 1 level = 16.6 %

That's 0.614 US gallons, or 2.324 L at the last block on their fuel gauge.  Can anyone confirm this?

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 3/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, nozeitgeist1800 said:

ive become a bit of a shameless shill for these guys, but heres a link to that display for about $100 off

6F8F99FC-0EDC-4FB6-83EE-87538450BD43__62

KOSO BA081000 RX-4 RX4 TFT Multi-Function Display MT09 MT07

THAT is a sweet looking dash!!!! Nothing is wrong with mine, and I'm still interested 🤣-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"