The MT-07 Forum

Brake rotor rust?

Grant31781

Just went out to the shop and saw some surface rust forming on my brake rotors. I had this happen a few weeks back. I went to move the bike and it wouldn't move. After a good shove, I heard a pop and it moved.  The brake pad was rusted to the rotor.  I rode  the bike to clean off the rust. Not sure why they keep doing it. I have 3 other bikes right beside the MT and none of them have had rust. 

The bike is stored the same as it has been for 3 years. Why all of a sudden the rotors start rusting. Is there a way to stop them from occurring?

Your shop must be very humid at times.  I've never had any rust on my rotors, but they're kept in a climate controlled garage.  Your other bikes probably have rotors that are made of a more corrosion resistant alloy.

Yes its a metal shop with no hvac. Humid South Georgia. Just strange no rust in the same conditions for 3 years then all of a sudden rust.

Agreed... that is strange.  Maybe something nearby changed, like a bag of fertilizer that made dust when poured.  Just an example, not an accusation.   :)

Might just indicate more iron in the rotor alloy.  My Guzzi would get rust on the rotor quite easily since it was pretty much an iron rotor.  Cars often do the same after rain and all.   

sweetscience

buy a used one, or better yet get stainless like galfer or brembo...

maybe the dog is marking his territory?

Are the pads metallic?  A bit of bonding in the rust?   

I would disregard it considering most all cast iron rotors on millions of cars have the same thing happen.  All the old Italian bikes used to have it happen to them because the rotors were iron, not stainless like the Japanese bikes.  They could develop a light layer of rust over a day or so in damp conditions.  

Your rotors aren't going to be the only thing that suffers from very high humidity.  It would probably be worth getting a dehumidifier for the shop.  Get a compressor type with a  humidistat that you can set to something reasonable, and it will run only when it's too humid.