The MT-07 Forum

How To Replace The Rear Shock

Shamrock

(This is an edited version from Hawkerjet, a member of the FZ09 forum, on how to easily remove and replace the shock  on any of these bikes.)

1. It is best if you have a rear stand so the bike is upright.

2. Remove the rear fender hugger/chain guard.

3. Loosen both the front and rear shock mount nuts and remove them and the washers. For the front use a 14mm socket and an extension. For the rear a 14mm box end wrench works well.

4.With both nuts removed you now want to lift the weight off the shock. This is where I do it a little differently than most. I use a scissor jack from my old Honda car. Put the bike in gear then I put the base of the jack on the tire and the top under the seat/fender. I use a small wood plank so as to not damage the fender area. Now spin up the jack slowly so it begins to lift the rear of the bike while putting your finger on the end of the rear shock bolt. Press firmly on the bolt until it begins to push out. Adjust the jack so the bolt easily slides out. Remove the rear bolt.

5. Use a drift punch to push out the front bolt. You may want to hold onto the shock to support it as you do this.

6. Now you can remove the shock. If your work area is a little tight you can always jack up the rear of the bike a little higher for more
clearance.

Presto, the shock is out!

I can do this in 10 minutes and I am not an ace mechanic. I usually work slowly.

1.Its pretty much the reverse to re-install. Begin with the front bolt. Hold the shock so the front mount hole lines up with the hole in the mounting tabs. Carefully insert the bolt thru the opening in the frame where the bolt came out. Don't force the bolt into the hole but use gentle pressure as you slightly wiggle the shock. Once you get it part way in you can use a punch or socket extension to push the bolt all the way home.

** You may have to rotate the bolt so it lines up. You can view it from the rear of the bike to see if it went in all the way.

2. Now install the rear bolt. If you jacked the rear further to get the shock out you will now have to lower it again until the rear mounting holes line up.

3. Once you get both shock bolts in all the way lower the scissor jack and remove it. Now with pressure on the shock bolts they will stay in place while you install the nuts.

4. Install the front nut with your 14mm socket and extension. With the nut inside the socket push it up against the end of the bolt and gently turn and wiggle it until it begins to thread on. Take your time and don't force it. You don't want to cross thread it. Now tighten it to spec or feel if you have an elbow with a built in torque wrench.

5. Install and tighten the rear nut.

6. Put the hugger back on and shee bee done.

Easy Peasy!

New K Tech Shock 006.JPG

New K Tech Shock 007.JPG

• Like 3

• Global Moderator

I used a jack under the muffler (with a piece of wood) to lift the bike.  It does the same thing as the above method but I could use my floor jack and it seems a but more secure. 

nozeitgeist1800

i used an a frame ladder and ratcheting straps to bring the back end up. worked great

• Like 1

firstyammerha

I have a center stand so this job is about five minutes for me. I left the shock/ chain guard off permanently.