The MT-07 Forum

Chain Adjusters

seven

So I really am not a fan of the chain adjusters on the MT-07, not that I have any other frame of reference since this is my first bike. I also would like to have spools to lift the bike as I think it would be a bit easier and sturdier to lift that way. That has me looking at the Gilles AXB and the TST Industries chain adjusters. Both lock into the swingarm and both have spools. Although I don't NEED these, I think it will make adjusting the chain and doing any sort of maintenance on the rear a little nicer. The only difference I can see between the 2 options is the TST adjuster has a spring which they claim allows for the rear wheel to be removed and it keeps the adjustment setting the same. The Gilles unit doesn't say anything like that.

I admit I don't fully understand how the whole adjustment mechanism works so I don't understand if the spring really makes a difference or if the Gilles unit also has this benefit and just doesn't state it. Does anyone here know?

If the Gilles unit doesn't in fact have that feature it seems like it would be easy enough to just put a spring in there and it would work the same?

Can anyone add some clarity for me?

M. Hausknecht

Yes, spools are very handy. And yes, the stock adjusters are awfully fiddly and the markings only approximate. You can add springs to the stock adjusters, drill a few tiny holes and then tie the end caps to the swing arm with safety wire, which helps when trying to reinstall the rear axle. There is a how to do this somewhere here. Seems like TST includes suitable springs (I got mine from the local big box hardware store for about a dollar). The Gilles adjusters and spools look nice but I can't address their relative ease of use when removing and installing the rear wheel. It looks like they might not need a spring to help keep the axle blocks in place when the rear wheel is removed.

• Like 1

They both work but I prefer the Gilles. The TST uses the spring to hold the adjuster in place while you fool with the back wheel. The Gilles uses the captive adjuster nut to do the same thing. They can both be installed w/o removing the rear wheel. They both make life WAY easier with a wrench in your hand. A horse a piece I guess.

😀

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
sweetscience

First mod I did to the bike was installing the Gilles chain adjuster/spools.  I chose this over the lower priced TST because I prefer the design better, (dual internal expanding mounts).

With a Pitbull rear stand, there is sufficient clearance with the chunky axle blocks.  No need to trim or shave the lifting forks.    

The chain adjusters certainly aren't glamorous. They do work just fine, though. Having spools is a must for me. It stinks that there are no factory provisions for mounting spools, but it's just a hole. 

I made these spools, but you can buy universal spools pretty cheap. Just have to make sure you buy ones that will sit flush against the mounting surface and use good heavy washers on the back side. 

I think I would get annoyed pretty quick if I paid good money for aftermarket adjusters/spool mounts that were all combined. The beauty of spools is being able to pull the wheel easily. Drilling two 6mm holes to mount universal spools is a pretty easy job once you clear the mental hurdle of drilling holes in your brand new bike ! 

77lYiXm.thumb.jpg.c05ccb064a44f46826fa2169d634547e.jpg

2c6zCK0.thumb.jpg.edf34040f0685e9beadd830ebdfb5ea8.jpg

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

This style would be perfect to fit to these bikes. Just need to grab a couple nuts/washers for inside the arm and you're good to go. Seven bucks! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-8mm-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Swingarm-Swing-Arm-Spools-Sliders-Stand-Bobbins-CF-/294443679378?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Edited by shinyribs

Just now, shinyribs said:

Drilling two 6mm holes to mount universal spools is a pretty easy job once you clear the mental hurdle of drilling holes in your brand new bike !

Drilling holes: easy

Taking the wheel off, chain adjusters off, fitting the spools, getting the rear brake on the rotor lined up and getting the axle through putting everything back: 

not so easy.

Edited by 00RAH

M. Hausknecht
1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

The chain adjusters certainly aren't glamorous. They do work just fine, though. Having spools is a must for me. It stinks that there are no factory provisions for mounting spools, but it's just a hole. 

I made these spools, but you can buy universal spools pretty cheap. Just have to make sure you buy ones that will sit flush against the mounting surface and use good heavy washers on the back side. 

I think I would get annoyed pretty quick if I paid good money for aftermarket adjusters/spool mounts that were all combined. The beauty of spools is being able to pull the wheel easily. Drilling two 6mm holes to mount universal spools is a pretty easy job once you clear the mental hurdle of drilling holes in your brand new bike ! 

77lYiXm.thumb.jpg.c05ccb064a44f46826fa2169d634547e.jpg

2c6zCK0.thumb.jpg.edf34040f0685e9beadd830ebdfb5ea8.jpg

Gosh, that is mighty brave of you. The swingarm's sheetmetal seems so thin, wimpy even. I went with welding on proper threaded thingies but honestly don't know that that is any better. I don't have a kickstand, so my bike is always on a rear stand when not being ridden.  I'd really like a proper braced aluminum swingarm.... 

sweetscience

Yeah, I think Graves racing sells a drill in spool kit as well.  But that doesn't address the crappy stock chain adjusters.  

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

Gosh, that is mighty brave of you. The swingarm's sheetmetal seems so thin, wimpy even. I went with welding on proper threaded thingies but honestly don't know that that is any better. I don't have a kickstand, so my bike is always on a rear stand when not being ridden.  I'd really like a proper braced aluminum swingarm.... 

Many hours burnt up shooting the breeze with the bike on a stand and me lounging on the bike. Might look scary, but it ain't! 

• Like 2