The MT-07 Forum

Took my buddy's Triumph Street Triple R on a test ride...

asaulo1

This weekend, I was fortunate enough to be able to test ride my buddy's brand new 2014 Triumph Street Triple R on a test ride in some of our favorite mountain twisty roads.  If you're familiar with the So. Cal. motorcycle scene, you'll probably know about Angeles Crest Hway or more commonly known as ACH.  This is our usual stomping grounds since it is filled with nice sweeping curves.  Anyway, my buddy gave me a chance to ride his new bike, the Street Triple R, while he rode my FZ-07 on a certain stretch of ACH.  Here are my thoughts comparing the Street Triple R to the FZ-07.

1.  Torque - I think this is where the FZ has it up on the Triumph.  I believe the torque on the fz is delivered smoother and in a more linear fashion than the triumph.  I can easily stick the fz in one gear (either 3rd or 4th) and be just use the throttle to get up the mountain.  The triumph needs a little more revs to get the same reaction....  However, having the triump and it's triple beyond 8k rpms and you're treated to that addicting triple sound.....

2. Suspension - can't really comment much on this except that he is heavier than I am and his bike is probably set up for his weigh so it felt a lot "floatier" than the fz.  I know that initially the fz felt some float as well when I first ran it up those same twisty mtn roads but after adjusting the pre-load on the rear suspension, it felt a lot more planted.  

3.  Weight - the triumph is noticably heavier than the fz but once you start riding it, it feels very similar in turn in.  Leaning it into corners was more precise than the fz.... transitioning it from left to right corners was very smooth which is the same as in the fz.... I really didn't want to lean it too much since it isn't my own bike but I felt that with it's more superior pirelli tires, it would be a better bike in corners than the fz... although, in the fz's defense, I bet that if fitted with this pirelli super corsa's, it would probably have felt just as good.....

4. Ergos - the triumph felt sportier than the fz in terms of riding position since the bars are a tad lower and the pegs a tad further back.  I liked it enough to think about putting lower bars on the fz.....  not really sure how that would impact long range ridability of the bike but it's just a sublte change that I think it won't make that much of a difference in long range comfort.

Overall. I was very impressed in the Triumph especially with th triple engine.  But considering that it's a few thousand dollars more, I'm very happy with the FZ.  As another person in Newcomb's ranch said when he came over to look at our bikes, the FZ is an overall better value than any bike available now... and when he walked to his ride, it was an 1199 Panigale!!!! Cheers... 

here's a quick video of the ride... 

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

• Premium Member

I'm jelous man. I used to ride ACH every weekend when I lived in Victorville. I'm in Vegas now and my FZ is almost all sorted. Can't wait to do it's maiden ride on ACH!

:)

- Paulie

I'm jelous man. I used to ride ACH every weekend when I lived in Victorville. I'm in Vegas now and my FZ is almost all sorted. Can't wait to do it's maiden ride on ACH! 
:)

- Paulie
Hit me up when you're in town and we can go riding ACH.

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

here's another video of him breaking in his Triumph with me leading the attack in ACH on the FZ....

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

Archived