The MT-07 Forum

R7 Slipper Clutch

Evill_Ed

edisonwithMT07
On 3/9/2022 at 11:30 PM, Shyan said:

Mine just arrived.. took almost 6 days from Tokyo to my house directly.. Now waiting for clutch plate which I have order from my local dealer.

Hi, may I ask for your contact information for parts dealers in Tokyo?

Edited by edisonwithMT07

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I finally got to the track and had the chance to test the new slipper clutch. It works flawlessly. Worth every penny. 

A quick video of a lap.

Ed

• Like 7

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

kymanhalim
On 3/9/2022 at 11:30 PM, Shyan said:

Mine just arrived.. took almost 6 days from Tokyo to my house directly.. Now waiting for clutch plate which I have order from my local dealer.

IMG_8610.jpeg

Can you provide me the link to order the part from Yamaha japan?

M. Hausknecht
Just now, kymanhalim said:

Can you provide me the link to order the part from Yamaha japan?

I know of no way to order parts directly from  Yamaha. Choices are buying through a Yamaha dealer or an on-line seller of OEM motorcycle parts. Many parts seem to have very limited availability. I've been waiting for the Yamaha clutch pack for a couple months now. Seller is now suggesting they'll have some on June 10.  We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 3:03 AM, M. Hausknecht said:

I know of no way to order parts directly from  Yamaha. Choices are buying through a Yamaha dealer or an on-line seller of OEM motorcycle parts. Many parts seem to have very limited availability. I've been waiting for the Yamaha clutch pack for a couple months now. Seller is now suggesting they'll have some on June 10.  We'll see.

You may order from Webike Japan as they will ship directly from Japan to your house..

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Shyan said:

You may order from Webike Japan as they will ship directly from Japan to your house..

That isn't Yamaha. It is just another on-line seller of OEM parts but you can't see what they actually have in stock ready to ship. And it costs more for us folks in the US than several US-based sellers. But glad it works for you.

Edited by M. Hausknecht

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

That isn't Yamaha. It is just another on-line seller of OEM parts but you can't see what they actually have in stock ready to ship. And it costs more for us folks in the US than several US-based sellers. But glad it works for you.

Yes.. I know you cant buy in Yamaha and they are 3rd party seller. They do have stock ready to ship else they will have let you know what is the waiting time.. (My case is they do not have stock but they do get me the stock within 2 days. As we all know everything is Made In Japan so they are pretty quick to arrange or order the parts.) 

As for the price, maybe some will be expensive but overall still in acceptable range :)

A fellow Moto America racer used the stock R7 clutch, didn’t like it and is putting in a slipper. Are you still feeling yours is sufficient? 

Also, how “bad” is it to reuse the boss nut? I have a racer friend (and former mechanic) who says he does it all the time, and it’s fine. And I have another smart, reasonable mechanic telling me it’s catastrophe,for sure. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, jb.junior said:

A fellow Moto America racer used the stock R7 clutch, didn’t like it and is putting in a slipper. Are you still feeling yours is sufficient? 

Also, how “bad” is it to reuse the boss nut? I have a racer friend (and former mechanic) who says he does it all the time, and it’s fine. And I have another smart, reasonable mechanic telling me it’s catastrophe,for sure. 

Not sure if you are asking me or not, but I like mine.It slips smoothly on down shifts and locks tight under acceleration plus it has a lighter pull at the lever. I'm not sure what more I could expect from it.

As for the nut, if you able to stake it is a new spot, reusing should not be an issue. If you are buying the parts anyway,  just order one (or more to have a spare) The nut itself won't fail, it is more about being able to stake it securely so it doesn't loosen during operation.  

Ed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Not sure if you are asking me or not, but I like mine.It slips smoothly on down shifts and locks tight under acceleration plus it has a lighter pull at the lever. I'm not sure what more I could expect from it.

As for the nut, if you able to stake it is a new spot, reusing should not be an issue. If you are buying the parts anyway,  just order one (or more to have a spare) The nut itself won't fail, it is more about being able to stake it securely so it doesn't loosen during operation.  

Ed

Glad to hear you like it.  I'm going to put a stock engine together and may give it a try.

I see.  Thanks for that.  I should have looked at the pictures and the manual more closely.  I wasn't aware  that it was the "stake" type, and not a triangular one-use type.  So yeah, can for sure reuse if you can "stake" it again.  Make sense..  (And actually, on an aftermarket clutch, it has its own type of nut anyway...)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I ordered all my parts through partzilla. I added the factory pro shifter arm and spring while i was in there since i was starting to get 5th gear pop outs. Every works harmoniously and no more locking up the rear on trying to late break and down shift to 2nd. Is it as good as my RSVR slipper? No. Is it worth the $300. Absolutely. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, Einstein57 said:

I ordered all my parts through partzilla. I added the factory pro shifter arm and spring while i was in there since i was starting to get 5th gear pop outs. Every works harmoniously and no more locking up the rear on trying to late break and down shift to 2nd. Is it as good as my RSVR slipper? No. Is it worth the $300. Absolutely. 

Glad to hear your positive results, I still love my set up. I didn't think of the factory pro shifter arm and spring upgrade until after I put everything back together. What are your impressions of it? Does it really help with the 5th gear pop outs?

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 7/29/2022 at 11:14 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Glad to hear your positive results, I still love my set up. I didn't think of the factory pro shifter arm and spring upgrade until after I put everything back together. What are your impressions of it? Does it really help with the 5th gear pop outs?

I'm interested to hear the feed back on the 5th gear jumps @Einstein57 

TIA

Dave.

I did a couple of track days with it starting to pop out so I caught it fairly early. The first track day I popped out maybe 4-5x through out the day using the quick shifter. The second time was like 1-2x per session using the clutch and banging hard in to 5th to ensure engagement . I was sweating bullets looking at the prices of having to get the transmission gears back cut. After I installed everything I think I got 1 pop out the whole day and that was probably from a lazy shift. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/1/2023 at 11:26 PM, Guest saxguy67 said:

Will this part list work for a 2022 mt07?

Yes, it should. The 2022 model looks like it has the same original clutch set up as my 2016.

Ed

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to comment in regards to anyone recently looking at this forum. I was throwing around ideas for a slipper clutch for my 2016 fz07. The Yoyodyne and Suter were just so expensive I started to search for other options. I saw this post from @Evill_Ed and decided this was a super smart and cost-efficient idea. I followed his parts list and installed the R7 slipper back in April of 2023. I then used my fz07 for a full track season this summer and man oh man this is one of the best upgrades you can do to these bikes. I highly recommend and I'm so pleased with how it turned out for my fz. Installation was super easy, parts came quickly. Thank you @Evill_Ed for this post! 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So I just found this topic, and I'm getting ready to order parts. I did not see compression springs in either of the parts lists. It looks like both clutch's have different spring part numbers. Did I miss something, or do I need to order some springs too? Thanks 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, petee said:

So I just found this topic, and I'm getting ready to order parts. I did not see compression springs in either of the parts lists. It looks like both clutch's have different spring part numbers. Did I miss something, or do I need to order some springs too? Thanks 

The 3 springs are part of the Clutch Pack Kit. 

Ed

• Premium Member
On 10/23/2023 at 4:44 PM, Michelle said:

I just wanted to comment in regards to anyone recently looking at this forum. I was throwing around ideas for a slipper clutch for my 2016 fz07. The Yoyodyne and Suter were just so expensive I started to search for other options. I saw this post from @Evill_Ed and decided this was a super smart and cost-efficient idea. I followed his parts list and installed the R7 slipper back in April of 2023. I then used my fz07 for a full track season this summer and man oh man this is one of the best upgrades you can do to these bikes. I highly recommend and I'm so pleased with how it turned out for my fz. Installation was super easy, parts came quickly. Thank you @Evill_Ed for this post! 

Glad you're enjoying the modification Michelle.

BTW - I have 2 Track Seasons on my Slipper set up. I mic'd the plates last year and measured the stack height and saw no appreciable wear. I'll measure them again this winter. 

Slipper clutches will wear faster as a result of their slipping properties, at least that's what I've been told. 

I keep a spare plate set in my track box just in case. 

Ed

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/20/2023 at 8:08 AM, Evill_Ed said:

Glad you're enjoying the modification Michelle.

BTW - I have 2 Track Seasons on my Slipper set up. I mic'd the plates last year and measured the stack height and saw no appreciable wear. I'll measure them again this winter. 

Slipper clutches will wear faster as a result of their slipping properties, at least that's what I've been told. 

I keep a spare plate set in my track box just in case. 

Ed

Thats impressive @Evill_Ed you've really made this so beneficial to the FZ-07 forum. 

• Like 1