The MT-07 Forum

R7 Slipper Clutch

Evill_Ed

M. Hausknecht

I have a Yoyodyne slipper clutch, which works very well but a much lower cost option would be great. I'll be very interested to hear about your experience. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I have a Yoyodyne slipper clutch, which works very well but a much lower cost option would be great. I'll be very interested to hear about your experience. Thanks for sharing!

I know the Yoyodyne and Sutter are good clutches. I was talking with a guy at the track with a new R7 about the factory slipper, he said it worked really well. 

We'll see.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

Hey @Evill_Ed nothing to say really except, This is going to be interesting!! isn't it. I hope you got everything you need and thanks for sharing your parts list. The timing on this is outstanding, I was about to order all the parts for a clutch replacement, I swear. Coincidence! I think not.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hey @fzar I went through the parts list sveral times, the majority of the parts have the same part numbers. The clutch pressure plates, clutch boss, springs and clutch plate kit are really the only changes. 

Ed

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

Hey @fzar I went through the parts list sveral times, the majority of the parts have the same part numbers. The clutch pressure plates, clutch boss, springs and clutch plate kit are really the only changes. 

Ed

I'm sure you did, I wouldn't doubt you on that at all @Evill_Ed this has just woken my inner kid, I'm excited with this news and the timing is fantastic🎆🎆👍 

• Like 1

Guys have been swapping OEM slippers in to older 09's for a while now and everyone is happy with the OEM setups, so I'm sure it'll do great. Cool project, man!

• Like 1

I hope you document the project with pictures / comments/ lessons learned along the way for the others who may attempt the same project . Best of luck, and I hope it goes well!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Jerzee said:

I hope you document the project with pictures / comments/ lessons learned along the way for the others who may attempt the same project . Best of luck, and I hope it goes well!

I suppose I could do that 🙂

Thanks

• Like 1

Would it be possible to get a parts list for someone with a virtually brand new bike, so not needing anything replacing due to age/wear please? 

Look forward to seeing how this goes, reasonable cost slipper is definitely something I’d be interested in.

well done for being the first to put your money down and try it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Weeksy said:

Would it be possible to get a parts list for someone with a virtually brand new bike, so not needing anything replacing due to age/wear please? 

The parts list is for the slipper clutch assembly. You need all those parts. They are differnet than the stock clutch. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

The parts list is for the slipper clutch assembly. You need all those parts. They are differnet than the stock clutch. 

Thanks mate.

Ill see if I can work out the UK costs.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

I've got a reasonably fresh stock clutch in a box here somewhere. I think I'm going to order the parts you've listed so I have a second clutch to go on my to be rebuilt motor.

• Like 1

I'm curious how that clutch works.  I've been on the Yamaha R6 clutch which we had to modify a bit, STM clutch on my KTM 525, Hinson clutch on my KTM450 and now will have  Yoyodyne in my MT.  All had different solutions for the same problem.

• Global Moderator

I thought I had read that the clutch cover is larger on the R7.  I did not see a cover on your parts list, will the new parts fit with the stock cover?  I am thinking of doing this conversion when I need a new clutch so I am interested to see how everything goes. 

• Premium Member

The clutch cover is the same part number for both the FZ and the R7.

There was a question about the cover being different because the Woodcraft case slider for the FZ does not work on  the R7. People thought the cover was different,  but the problem is interference with the R7 lower fairing. Its the bodywork,  not the clutch cover.

Ed

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Evill_Ed said:

The clutch cover is the same part number for both the FZ and the R7.

There was a question about the cover being different because the Woodcraft case slider for the FZ does not work on  the R7. People thought the cover was different,  but the problem is interference with the R7 lower fairing. Its the bodywork,  not the clutch cover.

Ed

Interesting @Evill_Ed. someone's been doing their homework.⭐⭐

• Like 2

M. Hausknecht

Well, I ordered the parts yesterday; thanks again to Ed for doing the heavy lifting. The parts aren't in stock so we'll see how it takes to get them all.

Replacing the clutch on an 07 is mostly easy, with the exception of getting the side cover on. You must line up the oil pump drive, and the clutch push rod so the clutch arm-to-cable relationship is correct; that is the tricky part. I had to do it twice; once with the motor on a bench and once with the motor in the bike. i found that laying the bike mostly on its side was necessary to get everything lined up correctly.  At least no blood was spilled.

• Like 3

Completely unrelated, but also completely related, you got my gears turning and yep...late model oem YFZ slipper clutch will swap in to my old WR! 

Thanks for the nudge, @Evill_Ed ! 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Just now, Einstein57 said:

Awesome. Can’t wait to see the results. Been   Waiting since they released the R7 for someone to finally attempt this. 

I'm hoping to get it installed this weekend  

Ed

• Like 2

M. Hausknecht
Just now, Evill_Ed said:

I'm hoping to get it installed this weekend  

Ed

Excellent! I'm still awaiting parts ordered over two weeks ago. Apparently, clutch fibers and plates are not presently available in the U.S.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

Excellent! I'm still awaiting parts ordered over two weeks ago. Apparently, clutch fibers and plates are not presently available in the U.S.

Yes, my order took about a month. 

Already install it?  :) Please do update once everything is install :)  Cant wait to see the end result and I will probably do that same mod as well..

• Like 1