The MT-07 Forum

Experiences MT07 2014 rear shock upgrades

Timo023

Good evening,

I am looking to upgrade the rear shock of my 2014 MT07 to make the ride a bit more stable and agressive. Don't care to much about comfort more about the sporty street ride caracteristics. for esthetic purposes I prefer a shock without reservoir.

I have looked at the öhlins s46dr1(around 600eur, hyperpro streetbox(front springs included too)(around 700eur) and the Hagon M62092(around 400 eur) wilbers 640 road(around 650eur)

Any of you have recommendations/experiences for a rear shock swap? Was it worth the price? which do you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance!

• Global Moderator

I have a Nitron R1.  I am very happy with it and it made a dramatic improvement to the handling. 

I built a shock for my FZ 07 but I bought a Ktech Razor Lite ( think that's the name, whatever their base model is) for my FZ 09. Biohazardcycles.com has them for $479 for the 07. I could've built another shock for under $50 but I didn't want downtime. I'm picky and am hardly ever satisfied when I buy off the shelf things, but the Ktech stuff I have is flawless.  I'm so happy with the Ktech stuff that they're now my first stop for suspension. Ktech's $180 drop in valve kits for FZ 09 forks ( unfortunately not an option on 07's) is WAY better than the Ohlins NIX 22 fork kits I ran on my 07. The Ohlins were very good, but there's a smoothness to the Ktech's that the Ohlins never had. I'd definitely give them a look. 

Whatever you decide to go with ( none of them are going to be bad) just be honest about your weight. Gear up and jump on the bathrooms scales. Lots of folks are tempted to fib about their weight for fear of stiff springs making the ride harsh, but the opposite is actually true. Guilty of it myself. Don't make my mistakes! 😁

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

nozeitgeist1800
3 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I built a shock for my FZ 07 but I bought a Ktech Razor Lite ( think that's the name, whatever their base model is) for my FZ 09. Biohazardcycles.com has them for $479 for the 07. I could've built another shock for under $50 but I didn't want downtime. I'm picky and am hardly ever satisfied when I buy off the shelf things, but the Ktech stuff I have is flawless.  I'm so happy with the Ktech stuff that they're now my first stop for suspension. Ktech's $180 drop in valve kits for FZ 09 forks ( unfortunately not an option on 07's) is WAY better than the Ohlins NIX 22 fork kits I ran on my 07. The Ohlins were very good, but there's a smoothness to the Ktech's that the Ohlins never had. I'd definitely give them a look. 

Whatever you decide to go with ( none of them are going to be bad) just be honest about your weight. Gear up and jump on the bathrooms scales. Lots of folks are tempted to fib about their weight for fear of stiff springs making the ride harsh, but the opposite is actually true. Guilty of it myself. Don't make my mistakes! 😁

can second this on the k-tech razor lite. totally worth the money, and it is a fairly easy install once you have the back end off the ground (i used a ladder and some ratcheting straps). huge improvement on handling and how in control i feel in corners.

can also second biohazardcycles.com. they have been awesome to deal with, their website layout is potato so if i cant find something i just email them and they have yet to not have something i asked about. i also dont think ive found a single item sold at regular prices, most stuff is like 10% to 15% off what i find everywhere else.

Edited by nozeitgeist1800
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Timo023 said:

Any of you have recommendations/experiences for a rear shock swap?

Bitubo XZE11  -  $340 (super deal from BellissiMoto) (4 years and 12,000 miles ago)

I'm still happy 👍😀

BTW, As you have a 2014 MT, I'm going to assume you might be located in Europe. You may be able to get a good deal on Bitubo as they are an Italian company that doesn't have a lot of presence in the US

BTW2, as my FZ is a 2016, I'm going to assume you have the same crap shock I have. Once I got the preload and rebound dampening dialed in, the Bitubo was MUCH better than stock!

https://www.bitubo.com/Bitubo/cms/ENG/content/62-XZE1.html

Edited by FZ not MT
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I have four bikes, and all of them have K-Tech shocks. I had the Ohlins on my "07", but I like the K-Tech more. The Razor "lite" is pretty close to perfect right out of the box. Definitely worth the money! You didn't mention what you are planning for the front end? If you are still running stock, you will soon notice how poor it is once you get a new shock. I installed the Traxxion Dynamics AR-25 kit. I think I paid about $400 for the whole kit (including springs & oil). Best bang for the buck!!! Good luck-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

50 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I have four bikes, and all of them have K-Tech shocks. I had the Ohlins on my "07", but I like the K-Tech more. The Razor "lite" is pretty close to perfect right out of the box. Definitely worth the money! You didn't mention what you are planning for the front end? If you are still running stock, you will soon notice how poor it is once you get a new shock. I installed the Traxxion Dynamics AR-25 kit. I think I paid about $400 for the whole kit (including springs & oil). Best bang for the buck!!! Good luck-

Depends what you're classing as poor ? It'll run fine in the middle group at a trackday ?

If we wanted a superbike level of handling we'd have bought one with fully adjustable and sorted suspension ?

For me, the MT07 works perfectly in all environments, as long as you accept it'll never be a front runner against superbikes.

Obviously opinions vary, but even with just a cheap Wilbers shock, the bike is spot on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, FZ not MT said:

Bitubo XZE11  -  $340 (super deal from BellissiMoto) (4 years and 12,000 miles ago)

I'm still happy 👍😀

BTW, As you have a 2014 MT, I'm going to assume you might be located in Europe. You may be able to get a good deal on Bitubo as they are an Italian company that doesn't have a lot of presence in the US

BTW2, as my FZ is a 2016, I'm going to assume you have the same crap shock I have. Once I got the preload and rebound dampening dialed in, the Bitubo was MUCH better than stock!

https://www.bitubo.com/Bitubo/cms/ENG/content/62-XZE1.html

Thanks I have been looking at the Bitubo but it seems like they stopped the production or something like that. Can't find a supplier here in the Netherlands or closeby who has got one for a good price.

10 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

can second this on the k-tech razor lite. totally worth the money, and it is a fairly easy install once you have the back end off the ground (i used a ladder and some ratcheting straps). huge improvement on handling and how in control i feel in corners.

Personally, I decided to invest in some better suspension after finding out that I like the suspension on my old CB500 much more than on my MT. Stability is way better and the power seems to find a much better way towards the road.

I can get the K-tech for around 436 euros ATM. They seem like a very good option. 

Does anyone have experience with the hagon shocks? 

Hagon I know primarilly from oldtimer bikes. Will they give me a more sporty and stable ride? Looks like the hagon is a bit more focussed on comfort. I can get them for 384eur which seems quite a good deal to me. 

11 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

can also second biohazardcycles.com. they have been awesome to deal with, their website layout is potato so if i cant find something i just email them and they have yet to not have something i asked about. i also dont think ive found a single item sold at regular prices, most stuff is like 10% to 15% off what i find everywhere else.

Yeah, his website is kinda old-school. 😁 But you're right, any brand you see on his website, Tom can get you anything they offer. 

firstyammerha

Check out the suspension page of the site. There's lots of info on shocks there. I'm having good luck with used oem sportbike shocks off EBay. Suzuki's seem to be my best experiences so far and at $25.00 to $50.00 apiece they're hard to beat.

On 1/25/2022 at 4:28 PM, Timo023 said:

Any of you have recommendations/experiences for a rear shock swap?

I forgot about one for you that is a dirt cheap fix for the short run - a stock 2018 MT-07 shock

Check out this thread

https://fz07.org/thread/12142/2018-shock-is-an-upgrade-for-2015-2017-bikes/?tab=comments#comment-163536

Go with heavier fork springs and heavier fork oil, and you could get a better all-around suspension for about $250USD if you do your own work.

Here's one on eBay that should work, and they ship worldwide

s-l400.jpg

Removed From: 2018 Yamaha MT-07 with 5000 miles. This rear shock is in very good condition and shows normal...

Edited by FZ not MT

• 1 month later...
Vestal James

I've been lurking for awhile but, springtime being neigh, at last I have a question. I know some among the group don't favor a progressive wound spring, but for my riding style (old, careful guy) I believe it would satisfy my minimal objections to the rear suspension harshness. That said, does anybody have experience with a progressive wound spring that he'd recommend?

sweetscience
Just now, Vestal James said:

I've been lurking for awhile but, springtime being neigh, at last I have a question. I know some among the group don't favor a progressive wound spring, but for my riding style (old, careful guy) I believe it would satisfy my minimal objections to the rear suspension harshness. That said, does anybody have experience with a progressive wound spring that he'd recommend?

The stock shock is not serviceable.  Have you checked your sag values and play with the preload settings?   The 2nd and 3rd gen MT's have a stiffer spring rate with added rebound adjustability.

Vestal James

Yep, checked sag and dialed back preload, but I find the rear still rather harsh. I'm hopeful that a progressive spring will smooth the ride to better than tolerable.

sweetscience
2 hours ago, Vestal James said:

Yep, checked sag and dialed back preload, but I find the rear still rather harsh. I'm hopeful that a progressive spring will smooth the ride to better than tolerable.

To clarify, the OEM shock is not serviceable.  Meaning, the spring and oil cannot be modified/swapped.  You're gonna have to go aftermarket. Or get one from a different bike model with the same length eyelet to eyelet, which I know not of any.

Go for a shock with 3 adjustments for preload, rebound and compression.  This way you can fine tune to your liking.  

M. Hausknecht
3 hours ago, Vestal James said:

Progressive-wound fork springs are available generally but I've not seen any progressive wound shock springs. The rear shock linkage of a stock 07 already provides some progressivity, about 13%.

I wonder if the stock shock spring is just too far wrong for your weight?   

• Like 1

Vestal James

I think my weight, at 180 lb. geared-up, probably fits the 95th percentile envisioned by Yamaha. Sweetscience (post above) tells me that the shock spring can't be swapped, which leads me to wonder about the several mfrs. that offer a replacement spring for the 07. I also wonder whether the shock from the MT-09 fits the 07, as it appears to have a more adjustable unit.

sweetscience

I think my weight, at 180 lb. geared-up, probably fits the 95th percentile envisioned by Yamaha. Sweetscience (post above) tells me that the shock spring can't be swapped, which leads me to wonder about the several mfrs. that offer a replacement spring for the 07. I also wonder whether the shock from the MT-09 fits the 07, as it appears to have a more adjustable unit.

You should call Racetech, they sell springs for the OEM shock.  They probably have to do some fabrication though, cause they sell the required collars.  Here's their spring rate calculator, just plug in your rider weight and riding style.

https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Yamaha/FZ-07 (MT-07)/2017

Vestal James

Thanks for your prior clarification about serviceability and this info and link to Racetech. I'll give them a shot.

sweetscience

Thanks for your prior clarification about serviceability and this info and link to Racetech. I'll give them a shot.

No problem.  Typically, these OEM shocks are throw-aways, so in due time they will need to be replaced (due to degraded suspension oil).  If you plan to keep the bike for an extended period, going with an aftermarket shock will allow you to service the shock, done by a reputable shop, thereby keeping the consistent characteristics of the suspension.

• Like 2

Vestal James

Yeah, given that this bike is as close to a hooligan ride as I can handle--my other bike is a '00 Blackbird--I'd for sure like to keep it awhile. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Vestal James said:

I also wonder whether the shock from the MT-09 fits the 07, as it appears to have a more adjustable unit.

The MT09 shock is 20mm longer, it would ruin the geometry.

Edited by stickshift

M. Hausknecht
9 hours ago, Vestal James said:

Yeah, given that this bike is as close to a hooligan ride as I can handle--my other bike is a '00 Blackbird--I'd for sure like to keep it awhile. Thanks again.

My street bike is a '99 Blackbird with: delinked brakes, remote reservoir master cylinder, steel braided brake lines, EBC HH pads; Ohlins shock; Race Tech emulators and springs in forks; Mikuni rear sets; Corbin gunfighter seat (modified to fit my butt); Micron full titanium exhaust; Power Commander; Zero Gravity double-bubble windscreen; and Givi luggage. Its a bit too big, a bit too heavy, but great for solo and two-up high speed touring .

I'm with sweetscience; get a new, better shock now. Your weight is well within the target rider weight for the stock shock and spring, so if you don't like the rear suspension, just swapping the spring shouldn't help much or at all.    

• Like 1