The MT-07 Forum

Battery terminal location

firstyammerha

firstyammerha

I hope this is the right place for this question but I have posted my recent experience replacing my 2016 Yuasa battery with an aftermarket VRLA from BatteryMart. Their battery has the terminals on the opposite side of the battery from the oem Yuasa. That is on the left gear shift side versus the right brake pedal side of the 2016. Does anyone know if other year FZ07 or the derivates like FJ07 have the terminals on the left side? The oem leads won't stretch to the new battery terminals. I thought of fabricating short lead extensions but don't like the appearance and possibility of problems going this route.

I had a similar issue, but if I recall correctly - Can't you rotate the battery 180 degrees and get the terminals on the correct side, just not in the same "corner"?  ie: If the original terminal was in the lower left corner and the new battery has it in the lower right, then rotating 180 degrees would place it on the correct left side, just in the upper left corner.  

firstyammerha

I have this situation in another section and some members suggested laying the battery on its side. The battery box is a snug fit to the battery so I don't believe this is possible.  Suggestions of rotating the battery 180 degrees would require at least one cable(the negative one) extended. Picture of stock installation attached. I'm also carrying out a fruitless conversation with Yuasa about this.

stock 2016 Yamaha FZ07 battery orientation 2d view.jpg

stock 2016 Yamaha FZ07 battery orientation.jpg

And do yourself a favor, don't connect things directly to the battery  like this, without a fuse holder very close to the positive terminal.  A small damage in the isolation with copper touching the wrong spot of the frame and the wire glows like the filament of a light bulb within seconds

heatingwirexkkpv.jpg

• Like 1

firstyammerha

Hi ElGonzales. These are factory Schumacher battery charging cables and I believe they had a fuse inline. This cable is a longer 18" that replaced a 6" which required seat removal to charge the battery. I know the short cable had a fuse and pretty sure the longer cable does too. I'm not pulling the seat to check!

• 4 weeks later...

is it a bit confusing.  your stock FZ-07 has both terminals on the 'right' side of the bike, thus the right side of the batter. The positive terminal (+) is located on the right side of the battery facing the front of the moto.  The negative terminal (-) is on the right side of the battery, but in the aft (rear) position.  The top of the battery has the battery's name and specifications; the bottom has a sticker on it. 

IMO, the  factory battery (pictured) is not resting on its side. Rotating the replacement battery places *both terminals on the left side of the bike. It does however, place the positive (+) terminal  toward the front of the bike which leaves you with the negative terminal on the rear, which might allow the existing negative cable to be attached to the negative terminal on the replacement battery.

firstyammerha

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've placed this battery in all possible orientations suggested and don't see any of them working. If the negative cable were a little longer the other battery would work. I checked my battery voltage after charging and it's reading 12.9 volts. Two weeks after charging I'm getting a 12.7 volt reading. This is with one start a couple of weeks after charging. The bike performed normally. For a six and a half year old battery, It's still strong. When it does start failing, my only option that I see is a Motobatt MBTZ10S that has two sets of terminals on opposite sides of the battery. BTW, Yuasa customer service has been no help. Update: November 2022, I popped for the Batterymart Motobatt MBTZ10S because even with a fresh charge the oem battery was cranking the bike with little energy. I didn't want to get stuck somewhere with a dead battery. Old battery showed 12.44V after charge and the new battery was at 12.93V after charge so the old battery may have some life left in it. It gives me peace of mind to have a fresh battery in place. The replacement battery dropped right in with no problem.

Motobatt MBTZ10S replacement FZ07 battery 11-22.JPG

Edited by firstyammerha