The MT-07 Forum

Brake disks appearance after 10k km (about 6k miles)

etorty

Hi all,
here in Italy we have this result after 10k km.
Those are pics of my bike, but the disks of some friends in the MT-Series forum have the same appearance.
What do you think about that?

http://imgur.com/a/3NrbR/all
3NrbR#0
3NrbR#1
3NrbR#2

This my first attempt for the images, I'm sorry if the pics don't appear correctly.

Touching the surface, in my case, I can feel with my fingers some very very tiny grooves, on both the surfaces of either the front disks.
On the surface of the rear disk, the appearance is the same, but I can't feel any groove by fingers.

On the front disks, I can see "Licensed by Galfer", engraved in the black surface of the support of the floating part of the disk.
This is the same for you?

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Those holes have me worried also. I believe that they were made by the rare but deadly "TERMITICUS FEROUS MAXIUMUS". There's been talk of them stowing away in overseas shipping containers and they've developed a taste for japanese brake rotors. Most motorcycle dearlers have been made aware of this and a large magnet has been placed in all vehicle containers that have disc brakes. Russia has not had to worry as all of their current models still have drum brakes.

Just sayin

@ trebec: I don't think it's an issue, at least I hope so.

@ planettwister:
the point of this thread is:
Do you have (for your FZ-07, in the U.S.) the same brake rotors?
The appearance after - at least - 3k or 4k miles is the same than mine?

I'm simply taking a look around! :-)

www.MT-Series.it

• Global Moderator

They look perfectly normal. Those little grooves you mention is normal wear and tear and might be caused by road dirt (like sand) getting stuck between the disk and the brake. That's why you see it more on the front rotors because they are more exposed.
I just made all this up but it makes sense to me. ;)

• Premium Member
@ trebec: I don't think it's an issue, at least I hope so. 
@ planettwister:
the point of this thread is:
Do you have (for your FZ-07, in the U.S.) the same brake rotors?
The appearance after - at least - 3k or 4k miles is the same than mine?

I'm simply taking a look around! :-)
I'm very conscious about my brakes on all my stuff. Your pads will ware along with your rotors so replace them both when the pads are done. might sound dumb but I know some guys that will just change the pads. I don't skimp on brakes. Changing the fluid is a must also.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

There really is no need to change out the rotors. Only if they are warped. A new set of rotors is atleast $150 and only pads need to be changed as a rule.

There really is no need to change out the rotors. Only if they are warped. A new set of rotors is atleast $150 and only pads need to be changed as a rule.
I agree.  I only change the rotors if they warp.  That's why there is a break-in (bedding) period for new pads.  When you change the pads, they will settle with the already worn rotors over time.  I'm pretty sure I got at least 4 or 5 sets of pads out of each rotor. 
BTW, mine look the same.  In fact, with the moisture from the rain, I get a bit of rust on my rotors if I don't ride for a bit, from the exposed fresh steel.  The pads polish it right off as soon as I ride.

• Premium Member

OEM front rotors 2 for 87.51 for the FZ-07. Brake Pad kit 59.71

I'm sure when its time for me to do my breaks I'll be getting rotors, every 2 years or more you spend that cash for piece of mind. I've been a mechanic since 98 and breaks are something I don't mess around with. Too each their own though.

And I as said before that can be normal for rotors to ware like you have there. I might go with a aftermarket set of rotors and pads after the first set is gone like I said I'm anal about my breaks.

Your right. I'll be installing a new horn this spring, It seems fine but it could fail and I wouldn't want that to happen if someone were to pull out in front me.

Brake pads are softer so they will provide great braking and they are designed to WEAR and are much softer than the rotors. Car rotors and pads are made of the same materials, yet you don't see both rotors and pads being changed when you service your BRAKES. I too am a mechanic and I wish all my customers felt like you, my cash register would be overflowing. LOL

• Premium Member
Your right. I'll be installing a new horn this spring, It seems fine but it could fail and I wouldn't want that to happen if someone were to pull out in front me.  
Brake pads are softer so they will provide great braking and they are designed to WEAR and are much softer than the rotors. Car rotors and pads are made of the same materials, yet you don't see both rotors and pads being changed when you service your BRAKES. I too am a mechanic and I wish all my customers felt like you, my cash register would be overflowing. LOL
You are coming across all wrong. I'm not going to pick apart what you just said because its not worth it.

Fact of the matter is groves in your rotor shows uneven ware in the metal. Pads are flat rotor is supposed to be flat brakes create friction to stop a rotor that is all chewed up is going to reduce the friction and reduce stopping distance.

Yes you can put new pads on a jacked up rotor but I would never do this as a mechanic and depending on how old it is I would replace/rebuild the rotors also.

But you do what you like. I'd rather my brakes work than my horn if a car pulled out in front of me ;)

• Premium Member

By the way you don't need to take my word for it look up Groves in Rotors

By the way you don't need to take my word for it look up Groves in Rotors
I'm not saying to not replace rotors if you need to and I'm not saying you don't need to replace "jacked up" rotors. I'm just saying minor grooves don't mean that the rotors are trash and they should go. 
 I'm all for preventitive maint., I've built and flown 3 experimental airplanes I know the value of preventive maint. I'm just saying that keeping an eye on your brake system, rotors, pads etc. should be enough to tell you what needs to be replaced and when as opposed to changing rotors just because you're putting on new pads.

Thank you all, guys, for your comments!
So, your rotors have, more or less, the same little grooves, and I'm conscious that the dust and the wear are even more on the front than the rear.
I know what's the appearance and the feel of an "end-of-life" rotor: I've replaced a few days ago the rear rotor of a T-Max of a friend, the old rotor was really weared.

Preventive maintenance is a good thing for me too, and this thread is intended to know the state of other rotors of the 07, around the world.
When my rotors will be weared, I'll change with an aftermarket set (Brembo, I thought), but If the wear will continue to be normal, I think I can be ride safe for all the next season.
BTW, the pads (front and rear) are good for another 10k km, as said the service technician.
However, I've taken a look a lot of times for all the parts that can be normally weared by the normal use...
And I'm ready to change the brake fluid one or two days before I'll start the bike for the next season.  ;)

www.MT-Series.it

• 1 month later...

Only other time you should change rotors is when they are out of the thickness spec. I dont have a service manual for this bike yet.

the groves are from a aggressive pads that are harder than the discs them selves, it is fine and why the bike stops so well, shallow groves are fine, but if you start to see any heat related cracking of the rotors that is Bad.
Heat related stress cracking can happen in rotors, and should at least a quick check to be sure there are no cracks.

Archived