The MT-07 Forum

Shipping a used exhaust system

foochi

Anyone ever sell their used exhaust and had to ship it out of state but not use the manufactures box?

Did you have to use multiple boxes and what did you fill the boxes with for damage protection? It seems like more of a hassle than not?

I sold a used exhaust system on eBay once. There was nothing complicated about it.

Simply found a box large enough to hold it and allow for extra padding to protect it, wrapped the exhaust in bubble wrap, held in place with zip ties, put the wrapped exhaust in the box, surrounded by a ton of additional bubble wrap, taped the box up, measured it and weighed the package on our bathroom scale, then checked USPS's website to predetermine the shipping cost so I could include that info in the eBay listing.

Easy peazsy!

On 1/10/2022 at 12:21 AM, D.A. said:

I sold a used exhaust system on eBay once. There was nothing complicated about it.

Simply found a box large enough to hold it and allow for extra padding to protect it, wrapped the exhaust in bubble wrap, held in place with zip ties, put the wrapped exhaust in the box, surrounded by a ton of additional bubble wrap, taped the box up, measured it and weighed the package on our bathroom scale, then checked USPS's website to predetermine the shipping cost so I could include that info in the eBay listing.

Easy peazsy!

Thanks! How much did shipping come out to? It’s tough giving an estimate when exhaust manufacturer doesn’t list the weight of their damn product.

Sorry but I do not recall how much shipping cost. 

If you don’t have a bathroom scale to approximate the weight, take your package to the post office, a UPS Store or a FedEx Kinkos and ask about the shipping options and costs. They will be happy to weigh it for you.

Then if you feel so compelled, tell them you’ll be back when it’s sold and leave with the information you needed for eBay. 

I have one. I realize I could go to one of those store fronts and ask for the weight w/ shipping options. I'm just the type to have it all handled before I get there and just drop it off. But yeah the fact that you typed it out confirms that I'm really looking into it too hard and making it more complicated in my head than it should be. Thanks for the insight!

What I've done in the past to get general shipping quotes on large items is to loosely pack it in an appropriate box and then get a quote for shipping it to the furthest state.  Weight may change a little when I add packing materials, but size of the box usually makes the biggest difference. I'm in San Diego, so I'll get a quote to ship it to NY.  That way I have a idea of worst case scenario and hopefully it ends up being shipped to a closer/cheaper location.

I nusually just advertise to ship in lower 48 to keep it simple.