The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 MotoAmerica Racebike [re] Build

jb.junior

5 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

@jb.juniorI keep wondering if that board name is a guitar reference or your name.   :)

High-Output-Single-Coil-Sized-Humbucker-

Our legendary JB Model in a single-coil sized humbucker pickup. The JB Jr. delivers all the upper midrange harmonics and power to...

I invented that and am living off the royalties.  That's what funds my racing budget.

• Like 1

Removed the swing arm and rear linkage and removed, cleaned and packed with grease, all of the needle bearings.  Also cleaned the swing arm and inside of frame.  Put a new OEM chain guard one, but it's useless, and I'm waiting on a plastic one from a friend.

Stock engine arrived!  Will put the swing arm back on and start the engine install on Wednesday.

IMG_4425.JPG

IMG_4426.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4428.JPG

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4431.JPG

IMG_4432.JPG

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

• Premium Member
On 1/23/2022 at 12:29 AM, jb.junior said:

IMG_4408.JPG

Where did you source these steering stops? I'm interested and curious. I remember Robem had them, but seems like it was discontinued. Nice work BTW.

4 hours ago, fzar said:

Where did you source these steering stops? I'm interested and curious. I remember Robem had them, but seems like it was discontinued. Nice work BTW.

We made them from scratch.  I actually had the rubber stoppers in a random box of parts that I got from the previous owner.  I think that he was going to install these but never did.  You can find them in most parts places.  I think they are about 1-1.5" long, and maybe .75-1" diameter.  Then some rivet nuts.  We just used aluminum spacers and machined them to contour to the frame.  Robem had instructions that were very helpful. 

Thanks, but it was all the work of Paul, at Motospace garage, in Houston.  

Edited by jb.junior

M. Hausknecht

Hey Jeff, have fun installing your motor. I just spent the last few days installing my "B" motor. So many things to connect... 😃 With your race motor being built, if I might ask, which cams will you be using?

4 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Hey Jeff, have fun installing your motor. I just spent the last few days installing my "B" motor. So many things to connect... 😃 With your race motor being built, if I might ask, which cams will you be using?

Thanks.  I'm hoping there's nothing different / odd / unforeseen between this motor and the one that I pulled, from an installation perspective.

I'm not sure what cams!  It was already a "built" superbike engine, and is only being rebuilt.  The only thing new (other than consumables, like bearings, etc.), were the pistons, because they needed replacement.  I can ask what cams, butt I'm pretty sure they were some good ones (I know that isn't super technical, lol).  I need to check up on that anyway!  A friend of mine building an R7 engine just got his pistons, and I think they are the same brand that I'm waiting for, so maybe mine are on the way...

Edited by jb.junior

20 hours ago, fzar said:

Hows the motor install going, seeming as its wednesday and all?

Hi.  We moved our session to today.  Leaving the office for the shop soon!  

But the engine arrived.  So did most parts.  And bodywork arrived at the paint guy's, and he's working on it now.  It will be a long week of work, but, barring something major unseen, we should have the bike ready by mid next week, and I'll make it down to Florida for PanAm Superbike in Homestead. :)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 1/23/2022 at 7:53 PM, jb.junior said:

Removed the swing arm and rear linkage and removed, cleaned and packed with grease, all of the needle bearings.  Also cleaned the swing arm and inside of frame.

This where I'm at, for tomorrow finish cleaning and repacking, re-assemble.

D725F317-7C4E-4589-B06F-598438D366A6.jpeg

DAB3B13D-7C1D-4CBC-872E-E63DF25A1E48.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fzar said:

This where I'm at, for tomorrow finish cleaning and repacking, re-assemble.

D725F317-7C4E-4589-B06F-598438D366A6.jpeg

DAB3B13D-7C1D-4CBC-872E-E63DF25A1E48.jpeg

Quite a rig up!  Yeah, we put the swing arm on today.  I needed a new dust seal for one, but we couldn't get it in time.  The seal now is a little torn.  I'll replace in mid-season refresh.

Looks good.

The engine arrived in good shape and on time this week, but once we got it mounted, we realized a few issues: there was no cam timing chain adjuster and cover, no thermostat, and the left engine cover (stator cover) was loosely bolted on, and it looked like someone was going to replace the gasket, but didn't complete the job and just put a new gasket on there and didn't clean off the old one.   So we have to sort all of that... 😕

Luckily, the previous owner had all the missing parts and apologized for not including them.  The engine had been around their shop for a few years, so it's fair that they kind of lost track of what they had done to it.  We agreed on an overnight scenario, so they should be here Saturday.  There will be some additional work included because of this, and backtracking, but we should still be able to get it done on schedule, assuming no other major hang-ups.

Otherwise, some fun stuff: received the lightweight Galespeed GP1S rear wheel from Graves, and it's awesome.  It looks great, but after weighting it with the carrier and all hardware, it's only weight savings of ~3.1 lbs. from stock.  Pretty good, but I was hoping closer to 5-6; maybe unreasonable expectation.  I think that I anchored on to bare wheel weight... I do have a Galfer rear rotor coming that may save some additional weight, but we'll see tomorrow.  Got the sprocket on and a new Dunlop slick mounted...  I'm not a fan of Vortex products, as I find their design kind of bland and lazy, but it's the only one that I can find that fits this wheel.

Put some new rear stand spools on.

Got the shock finalized and reservoir mounted properly with bands.

Fancy oil fil cap.

Got the new Driven 520 15t front sprocket mounted up and ready to be tightened.  I love Driven products.  They obviously care about design.

Chain needs to be cut to 108 links and put on.

Paul was amazing as usual. 

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4493.JPG

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4495.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

IMG_4500.JPG

IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

IMG_4515.JPG

IMG_4516.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4522.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

Edited by jb.junior
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, jb.junior said:

IMG_4524.JPG

That sprocket has my attention, it's like an optical illusion of sorts. Good Luck with the motor!!!

1 minute ago, fzar said:

That sprocket has my attention, it's like an optical illusion of sorts. Good Luck with the motor!!!

Thanks.  With this wheel, it seems like I'm stuck with Vortex.  Especially with a black frame and wheels, I prefer the "natural" colored sprockets, like Renthal, Sunstar, etc.  

M. Hausknecht

Jeff, I'm curious to hear your thinking about 15 versus 16 tooth drive sprocket. I have both and used a 15 last year, but just installed a 16. I found that with the 15, I only used 2d gear when accelerating from rest. It was also tough on the swing arm guard when I ran a 43 rear sprocket, which I needed at tracks like Roebling Road and Summit Point. The 15:43 also made for a longish wheelbase if I used a chain that would also accommodate a 45 rear sprocket.

22 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Jeff, I'm curious to hear your thinking about 15 versus 16 tooth drive sprocket. I have both and used a 15 last year, but just installed a 16. I found that with the 15, I only used 2d gear when accelerating from rest. It was also tough on the swing arm guard when I ran a 43 rear sprocket, which I needed at tracks like Roebling Road and Summit Point. The 15:43 also made for a longish wheelbase if I used a chain that would also accommodate a 45 rear sprocket.

Hi.  It of course depends on the track.  And your riding style, pace, and how "jacked" your engine is. Last year, I ran the following:

• 15/45 (PBIR, MSRH, Hallett, Homestead, Barber, CMP, Pitt, NJMP, VIR, ECR)
  • 15/44 (Brainerd)
  • 15/43 (Road America)
  • 16/45 (Roebling, Road Atlanta)
  • 16/44 (Daytona, but I needed a 16/43; if I got a little faster, I probably will go with this for Atlanta, too)

Geometrically, there are of course length limitations with the 108 link chain.  I.e., I think a 16/43 (stock configuration), is too long with 108 links (or so someone recently told me; I need to verify).  I plan on running 16/43 at Daytona, or at least a comparable ratio.  That same person ran a 17t front, and whatever ends up with the rear giving the same ratio (46t?)

I find this chassis so awesome and forgiving (I came from a Triumph Daytona 675, which was very fickle to geometry changes...), that I really didn't find any particular wheelbase set-up detrimental or unstable.  So I geared exclusively for top speed and shift points.  Resulting changes in wheelbase were merely incidental...

That said, on my bike, which was fast, somewhere around 85-88hp, I ran 16/45 at Roebling as my "final" set up.  I started out way shorter and worked my way up (as I got faster), and, in my opinion, at least from a gearing perspective, that is where a bike of that power should be.  I think I was only 2-3 seconds off lap record (LW), and had it pretty much topped out on 6th at the end of the straight, so I think I'm correct on this.

I'm almost never in second gear -- except when I start...  The lowest I get in to is third, with maybe one or two exceptions (hairpin at Homestead, etc.).

How much HP does your bike have?

I've never done Summit, so I can't offer gearing advice there.

PS: yeah, the OEM swing arm guard is a joke.  I just got a new one, but it wears out fast.  Robem used to offer a Delrin one, but it looks like they're out.  I know a guy who's going to make me one, but I also just learned that the R7 seal guard is made of plastic, and not rubber, and seems like it should fit right on.  So check that out.

Edited by jb.junior
  • Like 2

M. Hausknecht

Thanks very much Jeff. My motor self-destructed at RRR last May but it was pretty much rev'd out with 15:43. My motor was dynoed when built at 82hp (SAE smoothing) but the tune was sh*t (hence the "self-destruction").

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, jb.junior said:
  • 15/45 (PBIR, MSRH, Hallett, Homestead, Barber, CMP, Pitt, NJMP, VIR, ECR)
  • 15/44 (Brainerd)
  • 15/43 (Road America)
  • 16/45 (Roebling, Road Atlanta)
  • 16/44 (Daytona, but I needed a 16/43; if I got a little faster, I probably will go with this for Atlanta, too)

Really interesting information. Thanks @jb.junior, compared to Hallett how is MSRH? I know you said previously its bumpy, but is there anything else one should know?

2 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Thanks very much Jeff. My motor self-destructed at RRR last May but it was pretty much rev'd out with 15:43. My motor was dynoed when built at 82hp (SAE smoothing) but the tune was sh*t (hence the "self-destruction").

No problem.

Bummer.  15:43 may be ok with that HP.

1 hour ago, fzar said:

Really interesting information. Thanks @jb.junior, compared to Hallett how is MSRH? I know you said previously its bumpy, but is there anything else one should know?

Both suck right now.  Too bumpy.  I won't be doing either this year.  There is a CMRA round at ECR, north of Fort Worth, in August, which is by far the best track in Texas, if not the general region, and will CMRA's first time back since 2015 or so.  I recommend doing that.  Best pavement, perhaps in the country...

Edited by jb.junior

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, jb.junior said:

Both suck right now.  Too bumpy.  I won't be doing either this year.  There is a CMRA round at ECR, north of Fort Worth, in August, which is by far the best track in Texas, if not the general region, and will CMRA's first time back since 2015 or so.  I recommend doing that.  Best pavement, perhaps in the country...

I agree, well Hallett at least never ran MSRH. I have Eagles Canyon highlighted as a must do, people were pissed they couldn't ride there unless they got an invite from a club member, or so I was lead to believe!

Total bummer...

The stock engine that I purchased (the one referred to me on the first page of this build), ended up being a catastrophe.  It arrived with nearly every bolt loose, a gasket "halfway" replaced on the stator cover (new one installed, but old one still there...), no thermostat, no cam chain timing tensioner, no throttle body boots, and the cam timing chain was off of the cam.  So we had to request the missing parts from the seller, which they did overnight (with me paying half the shipping... :/), only to not get all of the correct parts (mismatched throttle body boots).  So we had to get overnighted the right parts elsewhere to keep things going.  

We weren't notified of the state of the engine, and it was sold as a "stock spare," so we of course didn't realize all of these deficiencies until we had put the engine in the frame.  I guess the CTT was shown as missing in the original sale pics, but I was not given any indication that this engine had been opened up, tampered with and had parts removed.  So we had to remove the engine, pull the valve cover, reset cam timing, put timing chain on, check valves, etc.  Total hog of shop time, cost and enthusiasm.  Just sucks.  The seller did say that they thought it was an accident and that they didn't know every bolt was loose and all most of the missing parts was a surprise to them, so in the hopes of humanity, I took them at their word.  They did offer a $200 refund, which net of the $67 overnight shipping I spent, and 5-7 hours of labor costs screwing with the internals, probably increased the cost of this engine by 15-20%.  Even if it wasn't on purpose, I think that it was really bad form to send an engine without checking it over.

So we pushed on and got the engine back together and back in the bike.  Excited that even though we were way over cost and behind schedule, we could still make the February 5-6th race weekend happen, we did the finishing touches to the engine.  Additional tragedy ensues...

We filled the radiator full of water, only for this to happen: 

Either the head gasket is bad, the head bolts weren't tightened, there is no gasket, or some combination thereof.  And it also means that someone had the head off -- which, again, we were not told about.  And why was it off???

The seller has offered to refund the engine, but once I've spent the time to disconnect everything, pull the engine and pack it up, I'll probably be out all the overnight shipping costs and probably about 8-10 hours of labor costs.  They did offer a partial refund for me to keep it and fix it, but no where near what I think is fair or reasonable.  And who knows what may be lurking in there when we pull the head.  It may be worth doing, but many of the parts needed to do it right are on back order or are hard to find.

So, I'm sure as hell not making the race this weekend.  And probably not the next, as I don't have a good alternative.  And my Superbike engine build has been even further delayed.  Pre-season: f*cked.

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

IMG_4510.JPG

IMG_4517.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_4572.JPG

IMG_4573.JPG

IMG_4574.JPG

Edited by jb.junior

• Premium Member

Wow JB, that is really disappointing. 

Good luck.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, jb.junior said:

Either the head gasket is bad, the head bolts weren't tightened, there is no gasket, or some combination thereof.

I have a head Gasket brand new,and a valve cover gasket brand new,you can have them both for (NADA) I can send it to you tomorrow if you want. Be forewarned we have inclement weather coming it tonight so how fast it gets to you I don't know, but the temps will be above freezing again on friday @jb.junior HMU if you want them. I ordered 2 sets from different suppliers to get it asap.

Dave.

• Like 3