The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 MotoAmerica Racebike [re] Build

jb.junior

Ran the bike at Atlanta last weekend to test.  That AP-built engine is a screaming Banshee.  There was a big name team out there on stock engine R7s, and I was flying by them on the straight.  They were definitely better riders, but goddamn, this engine is fire.  And I was passing guys on track-bike 600s (albeit, ridden by large riders) -- on the straights.  Not bragging on my skills, just saying this engine is dynamite fast.

The spring changes were great.  I could probably have kept the .95 in the front, because in order to get right sag numbers on the .925, I had to turn pre-load nearly all of the way in.  But it's right where I want it for Atlanta, and should be great.  The chassis is working a lot more fluidly, like it should, and it's interesting to compare how [overly] stiff I had it last year.  I wasn't used to so much suspension travel and articulation, so I got a little "jivy" with it coming out of 10b and almost high-sided.  I managed to save it, but the guys behind me said that at one point, both wheels were off the ground...  

Did some minor ergonomic and tweaks here and there, also.  

Ran Dunlop 2662 front and 0197 rear.  I got "inside" word that the 0197 rear will not be an option for MotoAmerica, only the 0129 (and 0097), same as last year.  So I really should have run that; but they are pretty similar, so it should be fine.

I'm a bit worn out chasing down parts and such, so the desire to get both of my bikes identical for cosmetic purposes is gone.  So I'll be keeping the AP bike looking mostly like it is; with some minor ergonomic, regulatory and weight reduction changes.  I'll post that update on this thread as well.  The superbike engine should finally be done in the next few weeks, so I'll throw that one in there.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 11:37 PM, cosp600rr said:

The RS660 makes 95-96hp at he wheel on MGP Moto America fuel. 100hp on MR12. I know this as I raced with a guy last year in our club that also went to Moto America and tuned his bike for MGP fuel. You are going to need as much as you can get out of your FZ motor to keep up with the 660. Mine at 92hp struggled with the long straights. Off the corner it pulls harder but not on the long run.

With my 93 hp engine, I ran against / with a solid MotoA competitor RS660 in Atlanta and was keeping up.  I had more drive out of the corners, he had slightly better top end.  He's a better rider than me, but I didn't feel out-classed, bike-wise.  (But I've gotten pretty light, and the bike is 337lbs, with light wheels and rotors.  Power / weight ratio is huge...)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 3:47 AM, jb.junior said:

With my 93 hp engine, I ran against / with a solid MotoA competitor RS660 in Atlanta and was keeping up.  I had more drive out of the corners, he had slightly better top end.  He's a better rider than me, but I didn't feel out-classed, bike-wise.  (But I've gotten pretty light, and the bike is 337lbs, with light wheels and rotors.  Power / weight ratio is huge...)

I dont see you on the entry list for this weekends Moto America race. Are you racing?

Just now, cosp600rr said:

I dont see you on the entry list for this weekends Moto America race. Are you racing?

No.  I miscommunicated with MotoAmerica, and it was ultimately my fault.  Because I had to withdraw from Daytona because of the engine, I asked if I could transfer that entry to Atlanta.  I must have skimmed their reply email, because she said that I could transfer the fee but still had to do the registration.  I read it as the entire registration would transfer.  So I dropped the ball.  I begged and pleaded for a late entry, but no go.  I had all kinds of family and friends flying in to watch and participate.  Total bummer.  :(

It's just so much to organize, and though I have people I hire to help, and friends involve, I'm ultimately responsible for everything.  I'm "rider, financier, fitness coach, logistics manager, technical manager, admin, etc., etc."  And, of course, I work a really demanding full-time job in finance.  If everything goes right, it's [sort of] manageable, but when things go wrong, it's a lot of balls to keep in the air.  Aside from this engine fiasco, I've had all kinds of issues with vendor not delivering (do NOT order anything from Nox Racing.  Look them up on the BBB...they are scam artists) and other issues.  It's been a "special" season with all of this supply chain nonsense.  The bike is finally ready, but I screwed up the admin side.  It just goes to show how much it helps for these sponsored guys to be on a proper team with back-office support that takes care of all this stuff.

So I'm 0-2 this season.  Not a great start.  But I've set up reminders on two different calendars for the registration for the rest of the races.  I'm also spending this time and money on lessons with a local high-level pro and have already improved a lot.  And further tuning the bike (I'm still making upgrades and changes to the chassis.)  My plan was to do a lot of coaching this pre-season (Jan-Feb), which I didn't get to do because the bike wasn't ready, so it may be kind of a blessing that I can spend time improving and dialing in the bike.

I'm doing a club race here in Texas this month.  But will be at VIR for sure; both practicing at a track day and for the MotoAmerica race -- barring disaster!

Edited by jb.junior