The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 MotoAmerica Racebike [re] Build

jb.junior

2 hours ago, fzar said:

Whats ^^^^^ Yer mom^^^^ about?

It asked me the reason for my edit.  Just thought it would be funny.  :)

2 hours ago, Gravisman said:

The asphalt-induce holes on that muffler look really familiar 😄

The gravel at Barber is great for safety but shite for cosmetics on a crash.  I'm replacing or repainting pretty much everything I can on that bike because of those rocks.  We're still finding them...

Here's my mass reduction plan for 2022.  Both me and the bike.  Let me know what you think.  I'll update as I go along and make the upgrades.

FZ07 Weight Loss_ 13-Jan-22_v2.png

Edited by jb.junior

M. Hausknecht

Hey JB, what wheels and rotors are you switching to, to get those weight savings. From my experience, lighter wheels really transform a bike, but oy, the dollars, especially for multiple sets.

20 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Hey JB, what wheels and rotors are you switching to, to get those weight savings. From my experience, lighter wheels really transform a bike, but oy, the dollars, especially for multiple sets.

Hey.

Don't even get me started on my eternal quest to find some cotton-pickin' lightweight wheels!  I've been trying since the middle of last year!  As of now, no one, and I mean no one, has any lightweight wheels in stock (2008-2106 R6) of any brand. 

My preference is for the One Moto Apex-6 wheels.  They claim to be the lightest and are made here in the USA.  I check in with them about once a month, and they're still not sure when they're going to start production on these (they do have 6.0" rear sets available for 2017+ R6's, but that won't work for me). 

Next choice would be OZ GASS wheels.  Everyone is telling me 8 week lead time on those.  But who knows how long it would actually take.  I'm just not willing to put down $2,500+ and wait around for the end of days while out that cash. 

(Digression: Honestly, I'm pretty pissed off as to how many places I've ordered stuff from recently say its in stock, or says it's "available," only to give a notice a day later, once they have my money, that it's now 2-3 weeks out -- or more.  I know there are supply chain issues, but to intentionally tell the customer that the situation is different than it really is infuriates me.)

For front rotors, I'm switching to EBC contour rotors (for the R6).  From what I've read and seen, I think my weight reduction estimate is sound.  But good luck finding any of these either!  I think I got the last pair in the Milky Way.

For rear, there are myriad lightweight rear rotor options, including one from Super bikes unlimited and Norton.  But it's for an R6 wheel -- none for the FZ07.  You'd have to get it custom milled.

Edited by jb.junior

M. Hausknecht

Yeah, that is why I asked. I'm still using the stock wheels and no one seems to have lighter wheels available currently. And I've noted more generally, as you have, that retailers aren't always up front about whether they have stuff in stock or about when to expect items. I waited several months (4-5) for CP2 head bolts from two generally reputable suppliers while their websites said "two weeks" ----- for months. Fortunately, Zoran was kind enough to send me a set he had so I could get a motor together. Other Yamaha parts took weeks to get rather than days but until I had head bolts it didn't really matter to me.

I've weighed my 07 and with a couple quarts of fuel, I'm around 330lb. AP subframe, teeny battery, and no radiator fan plus removal of everything else not needed (including pretty big holes in my rear disc and no rear master cylinder reservoir).  

2 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Yeah, that is why I asked. I'm still using the stock wheels and no one seems to have lighter wheels available currently. And I've noted more generally, as you have, that retailers aren't always up front about whether they have stuff in stock or about when to expect items. I waited several months (4-5) for CP2 head bolts from two generally reputable suppliers while their websites said "two weeks" ----- for months. Fortunately, Zoran was kind enough to send me a set he had so I could get a motor together. Other Yamaha parts took weeks to get rather than days but until I had head bolts it didn't really matter to me.

I've weighed my 07 and with a couple quarts of fuel, I'm around 330lb. AP subframe, teeny battery, and no radiator fan plus removal of everything else not needed (including pretty big holes in my rear disc and no rear master cylinder reservoir).  

Yeah, what a bummer.  Totally unacceptable way of conducting business.  I reached out to some wheel suppliers / retailers, and they say that if I pay up front, I can be part of the next order and get them in 3-4 months.  Sorry to be a finance geek, but they're all basically asking the end customer to fund their working capital needs, which is horsesh*t.  If there was a firm delivery date, I may be up for it, and I've even offered to put down a deposit, but I'm not going to throw nearly three grand in to the manufacturing ether and get "likely next week" emails until Q3.

Wow, that sounds extremely light without lightweight wheels or front rotors.   How did you weight it?  I haven't weighed mine, but I think it was a lot closer to 345, just working backwards from what a stock bike is purported to weigh.  I'll get mine on the scales at the end of this build.  For MotoAmerica, we can't be below 319.4 lbs.

Where did you get a milled FZ rear rotor?  I can't find one anywhere.  If I've got to run these stock FZ wheels for now, I'd like to at least get two of those rotors.

No rear master is both way too sketchy for me and probably not legal in any club or organized racing league.  If you go off the track, all you have is your rear brake.  Plus I use mine for starts and even hard braking.  I'm sure you know what you're doing, but that's a bit much for me.

FYI: I just saw that there's a member of this org that recently became a distributor of Titax wheels, which are also totally badass.  And the price is amazing, assuming that they are as light as the other top models.  I commented on the post and wrote him directly to see if there are actually any around.  Here:

Edited by jb.junior

M. Hausknecht

JB, I did some research on Titax wheels last year, because they looked like a promising option from TenRacing's post. Read a lot of complaints about long lead times and unavailability, and promises from Titax for a brighter future. TenRacing did his research too so although he no doubt hoped otherwise, I don't think he's surprised he hasn't gotten any wheels yet.

I weighed my bike with a matching pair of bathroom scales I had from another project; not ideal but well within their weight capacity so shouldn't be more than several pounds off. Most of the wiring harness is gone, keyless ignition, lightened flywheel, lightened starter clutch, Yosh R77 exhaust (carbon can), some ti fasteners, unpatched bodywork; I guess they add up. 

No, no, I've got the stock rear master cylinder; just not any reservoir (capped hose instead). Agreed, absolutely need a rear brake in the grass and occasionally helpful when trail-braking.  I drilled, rather than milled my rear discs. I wore out a bunch of drill bits but I don't have a mill handy so it was my best not great option. My preference would be to get the rear discs blanchard ground, to about half thickness, but I haven't found anyone with a blanchard grinder near me and haven't looked further.  

5 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

JB, I did some research on Titax wheels last year, because they looked like a promising option from TenRacing's post. Read a lot of complaints about long lead times and unavailability, and promises from Titax for a brighter future. TenRacing did his research too so although he no doubt hoped otherwise, I don't think he's surprised he hasn't gotten any wheels yet.

I weighed my bike with a matching pair of bathroom scales I had from another project; not ideal but well within their weight capacity so shouldn't be more than several pounds off. Most of the wiring harness is gone, keyless ignition, lightened flywheel, lightened starter clutch, Yosh R77 exhaust (carbon can), some ti fasteners, unpatched bodywork; I guess they add up. 

No, no, I've got the stock rear master cylinder; just not any reservoir (capped hose instead). Agreed, absolutely need a rear brake in the grass and occasionally helpful when trail-braking.  I drilled, rather than milled my rear discs. I wore out a bunch of drill bits but I don't have a mill handy so it was my best not great option. My preference would be to get the rear discs blanchard ground, to about half thickness, but I haven't found anyone with a blanchard grinder near me and haven't looked further.  

And the world remains on lightweight motorcycle wheel famine...

Well, that's good to know.  Yeah, I'm not sure if my bike has a lightweight flywheel or not.  I just sent a text to the engine builder to check.  If not, I'll definitely have that done -- good call.

Ha, ok, I obviously misunderestimated that regarding the rear brake.  Per the rotor: maybe I'll just drill mine, but again, I'm hoping to get the R6 wheel / brake conversion done, so there would be some legit rotor options at that point.

I may have a line on a 2008 R1 front wheel, which I'm pretty sure is the same wheel, or at least fits the same, as the R6.  Can anyone confirm?  I know 07-08 R1s had 310mm rotors, and other earlier years had 320mm, but the bolt holes is the same.

Decided to remove the powder-coating from the subframe and brush and clear coat the aluminum.  I like how it turned out.  

I ordered a new triple clamp top, mostly for cosmetics, and it came in black.  To match the brushed aluminum subframe, which I really liked, we took the black finish off of it and brushed and clear-coated it as well.  I also liked how it came out.  Tightened it up the nut and also set the forks to where I want them and tightened up the triple clamps.

IMG_4065.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

Edited by jb.junior

Got the shock and steering stabilizer back from Roger at On-Road-Off-Road.  They both came out great.  I double checked and reset some of the settings, and we're good to go.  Mocked-up installing the shock and where the reservoir.  Looking good.

I also got a new fairing stay mount kit from Robem.  I removed the prior set up, which included what I think must have been the original AP frame neck mount.  It's a large piece of aluminum, and replacing with the Robem actually saved almost half a pound -- I'll take it!

IMG_4216.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4225.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

The Robem fairing stay actually doesn't fit well with the stock triple or using the Robem triple with anything more than ~26mm offset.  The OEM offset of 30mm does not create enough space for the stabilizer to flow freely when it's connected to the fork leg and fairing stay mount.  The solution is to either relocate the stabilizer attachment point on the fairing stay further "out" (away from the frame), or to make a spacer to go in between the fairing stay and the frame.  We made a little "test" spacer, and it seems to have more room now.  We'll likely need to make a bigger one.  And, my guess is that because the entire mount gets pushed more "out," the gauge cluster will have a problem clearing the body work.  So we'll likely have to make a bracket to bring the gauge mount closer back "in."  Fun stuff.  

This and some other things, like issues with the stablizer rebuild, the wrong rotors being sent to me (grrr...), me ordering the wrong throttle cable, vendors delaying orders, vendors out of stock, vendors not replying, etc., have set things back a bit.  But my mechanic, Paul, is so awesome, that we're still moving along.  

But the good news is that I bought a stock engine (the same one that was posted in this thread -- thanks again for that!) and it should be here next week.  I also rush-ordered / air-shipped the Flexiglass body work, so it should arrive at the painter's Monday.  I'm hoping to have the bike ready for a race at Homestead February 6-7th, but it's going to be tight.  I won't have everything I want done by then, but hopefully it will be at least usable, and I can get back on the track.

We also got the Yoshi Alpha muffler looking nice.

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_4355.JPG

IMG_4358.JPG

IMG_4360.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

More unexpected fun stuff...

I wanted to put a fresh header on, for cosmetics, and also because I think it may be bent and not be aligned properly, but I've encountered that the bung hole on it is a different size than what was on my old one.  The one one was bigger.  It turns out that I did have an autotune unit, which is pictured here and, its o2 sensor was plugged in to the bung.   So that will probably be helpful if I want to run MR12 on this new stock engine without the proper tune for it...

For some reason, the sensor fitting is too big to fit in to the Yoshi header / OEM sized bung.  So, apparently, someone had to modify my old header to make that fit.  So if I want to use the new header, I'll have to get a bigger bung fitting.  I may just see if I can re-use the old one for now.  I'll see how the header fits with the new bodywork, and if it was really bent or not.

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4343.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

IMG_4347.JPG

IMG_4348.JPG

25 minutes ago, jb.junior said:

For some reason, the sensor fitting is too big to fit in to the Yoshi header / OEM sized bung.  So, apparently, someone had to modify my old header to make that fit.  So if I want to use the new header, I'll have to get a bigger bung fitting.  I may just see if I can re-use the old one for now.  I'll see how the header fits with the new bodywork, and if it was really bent or not.

No problem to swap the sensor socket as long as you know a good quality welder, 18mm lambda sockets are next to no money, I paid £2.99 for a new one and I cut the old one out neatly with a thin walled hole saw/tank cutter.

AAD0BE64-3D30-417E-A905-761A365EB919.jpeg

115D5C79-9103-4DB4-A7B7-9998A715947E.jpeg

1 minute ago, AP996 said:

No problem to swap the sensor socket as long as you know a good quality welder, 18mm lambda sockets are next to no money, I paid £2.99 for a new one and I cut the old one out neatly with a thin walled hole saw/tank cutter.

AAD0BE64-3D30-417E-A905-761A365EB919.jpeg

115D5C79-9103-4DB4-A7B7-9998A715947E.jpeg

Thanks for that.  Yeah, I know it's not particularly expensive or technically difficult, but it's just one more thing to deal with that wasn't expected in a time crunch situation.

Edited by jb.junior

12 hours ago, jb.junior said:

Thanks for that.  Yeah, I know it's not particularly expensive or technically difficult, but it's just one more thing to deal with that wasn't expected in a time crunch situation.

You can buy threaded O2 sensor adapters (from M18 to M12), might save you some time.

Edited by stickshift
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stickshift said:

You can buy threaded O2 sensor adapters (from M18 to M12), might save you some time.

Good call.  I appreciate that.  

Got some good stuff done today.  

New EBC Contour rotors.  Look great, and are very light.

Installed bumper steering stops.  Note the contoured mounting point -- Paul is the man!  

Finished up the fairing stay spacer.  Looks good.  There seems to be enough room for the stabilizer to work.  I had to take it off and send it to be re-rebuilt, but when I put it back on, I think I'll put the bracket on the right leg so that it will interfere less with the front brake line.

Installed a new master and tygon reservoir rear brake and filled with fluid. 

New starter switch.

Cat recovered from surgery and doing great.  :)

Got the battery box back on and modified.  Need to finalize it tomorrow.  

Mocked up the rear shock reservoir and tested with old body work.  

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Some nice progress👍

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Just now, Evill_Ed said:

Some nice progress👍

Thanks.  We're on track to have it done early next week (Feb. 3rd); assuming no major delays in the remaining things on order or in progress.  Still looking for a lightweight front wheel...

• Like 1

Mass reduction update.

Even though I'll be down about 7hp having to run this stock engine for now, the weight loss makes up for that with its commensurate gain in power-to-weight ratio, so I'm "effectively" only going to be down a little with this current set up.

FZ07 Weight Loss_ 22-Jan-22.png