The MT-07 Forum

First post, 120 or 165 ml on fork oil?

Steveneee

I read that the consensus is 162 ml  is stock for fz 07s. Many add 3 at 165 ml. I just purchased some race tech springs .95. I weigh 285 right now. Race tech says 120 ml. My springs should arrive today. I  haven't cut any spacers yet but I'm leaning on the idea of trimming 5mm off stock . I have preload adjusters. I'm a 60 year old experienced rider that hasn't ridden a bike in 15 years. I mainly ride on country roads and smaller highways. No track days in my future. I rarely ride over 85 but I've let it go to 100 just to see how it did.
  I plan to address the rear suspension  next and hopefully lose some weight. 

• Like 1

The manual says 403cc or 162mm per chapter 5 (Haynes manual). Oil is measured from the top of the inner tube with the fork spring removed and the leg full compressed. 

When I did the 15W fork oil I just put in 403cc of oil. No issues and this included the Dave Moss modifications. 

Edited by Civiltechyyc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Steveneee said:

I read that the consensus is 162 ml  is stock for fz 07s. Many add 3 at 165 ml. I just purchased some race tech springs .95. I weigh 285 right now. Race tech says 120 ml. My springs should arrive today. I  haven't cut any spacers yet but I'm leaning on the idea of trimming 5mm off stock . I have preload adjusters.

FWIW, my setup is Sonic springs with a .90 and a .95, and 165mm with a 50/50 mix of BelRay 10w and 15w fork oil. The spacer was cut for my amount of sag as I don't have preload adjusters. It works well, but I should say that this is for the 2015-2017 forks (non-ABS).I set it up for a 200-225 lb. range. Your heavier springs make sense, but I have no clue about the fork oil for you. My forks were done by the guy who use to be the suspension guru for this forum - pattonme. I've put around 10,000 miles on this setup and I'm still not feeling the need to upgrade it further. I should say that I do have a Bitubo shock too.

• Like 2