The MT-07 Forum

sharkskinz fairings + Akra-ti

fzar

M. Hausknecht

I've got the original Mike Verdugo, Catalyst Racing Composites, bodywork that Andy Palmer was selling. Its lower in the back and before I modified it, the exhaust burned the paint where it lightly touched the bodywork. I cut out the partially burned fiberglass and replaced it. Its a little lumpier (made a mold out of bubble-wrap) than I'd intended but now there is adequate clearance on the underside for the exhaust.

Lower.jpg.d2d5f717ec50b1afbe5d2bf404c96a29.jpg

I also used a Dremel to create additional clearance for the exhaust exit and for my toes around the rear brake and shifter controls.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 3/23/2022 at 12:43 AM, fzar said:

Here’s some more:

ACFF071E-AB6A-4BCE-B3CB-320517F424FF.jpeg

B893901B-C88A-49B7-B6A7-1614EA2AE72D.jpeg

I was wondering if @mossrider or anyone else who has knowledge @M. Hausknecht @cosp600rrcould chime in here. The problem I have is that under the bikes own weight the belly pan isn't exactly level front to back, its 12mm lower at the back, Is that a problem? Other than the exhaust sitting right on the belly pan, I'm adding heat shield to help with that problem.

By the way the jack stands have about 2 mm play from side to side.

Thanks,

Dave.

So.... I couldn't help but notice in the pics. That appears to be an OEM shock? I remember selling you an OHLINS shock. Is that shock being rebuild, or are you upgrading from the one I sold you? BTW: Your bike looks SWEET!!!!

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
On 3/25/2022 at 1:17 AM, cornerslider said:

Is that shock being rebuild,

It was supposed to be, but I ran out of time.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 12:36 AM, fzar said:

It's a really tight fit:

C8E257A0-FDE4-4A61-BA75-CF0095C2E32B.jpeg

D8DAEFF1-46F5-4B90-B5E5-9FCD45777BB2.jpeg

214E870F-00DF-41C3-B092-9FF30001B694.jpeg

Glad it fit.  I didn't know about the two types of Akra exhausts.  I think the one that I had was a newer model, with the carbon, and that is an older one?  But I'm glad it's smaller and fits.

The muffler itself shouldn't do much heat damage to the belly pan.  But the header and pipe sure will.  I had lots of problems with mine melting through last year.  Putting in some heat shield stuff helps.  I have this:

and also this for the header, if needed.

I have both on my new body work, and so far, it's really resisting the heat.

Edited by jb.junior

• Premium Member
cornerslider
13 hours ago, jb.junior said:

Glad it fit.  I didn't know about the two types of Akra exhausts.  I think the one that I had was a newer model, with the carbon, and that is an older one?  But I'm glad it's smaller and fits.

The muffler itself shouldn't do much heat damage to the belly pan.  But the header and pipe sure will.  I had lots of problems with mine melting through last year.  Putting in some heat shield stuff helps.  I have this:

and also this for the header, if needed.

I have both on my new body work, and so far, it's really resisting the heat.

@fzar-You run the same Akra that I do. The one with the carbon tip is a totally different system.  It's much thicker/taller, and does not work well with a bellypan. I did the same exhaust wrap around the headers, that was close to the bodywork. ZERO issues 😎

• 3 months later...
WhiteJesusRides
On 3/22/2022 at 10:43 PM, fzar said:

Here’s some more:

ACFF071E-AB6A-4BCE-B3CB-320517F424FF.jpeg

B893901B-C88A-49B7-B6A7-1614EA2AE72D.jpeg

I was wondering if @mossrider or anyone else who has knowledge @M. Hausknecht @cosp600rrcould chime in here. The problem I have is that under the bikes own weight the belly pan isn't exactly level front to back, its 12mm lower at the back, Is that a problem? Other than the exhaust sitting right on the belly pan, I'm adding heat shield to help with that problem.

By the way the jack stands have about 2 mm play from side to side.

Thanks,

Dave.

How are you mounting the front? I switch to Sharkskinz after a crash and I also have the Robem setup for the flexiglass. How did you get the front fairing stay to keep the upper up? I'm sure it's something obvious but I don't know what to do

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, WhiteJesusRides said:

How are you mounting the front?

I used the sharkskinz fairing stay from Robem.

I switch to Sharkskinz after a crash and I also have the Robem setup for the flexiglass.

Flexiglass and sharkskinz are a different fairing stay and mounts.

How did you get the front fairing stay to keep the upper up? I'm sure it's something obvious but I don't know what to do

If you look at the bottom picture, looking at the left side of the fairing (clutch side) there's a black fastener just under the tank I used that as a starting point, found the center line on the upper and attached the lower to find out where my exhaust would allow it to go. I toof the dowels supplied by robem and took my time to mark where the holes would be drilled to attach the dowels and the fastener with the fiberglass in between. Mine didn't come out perfect but it was good enough.

I get to do it again, after crashing the bike!!

WhiteJesusRides
Just now, fzar said:

I used the sharkskinz fairing stay from Robem.

Flexiglass and sharkskinz are a different fairing stay and mounts.

If you look at the bottom picture, looking at the left side of the fairing (clutch side) there's a black fastener just under the tank I used that as a starting point, found the center line on the upper and attached the lower to find out where my exhaust would allow it to go. I toof the dowels supplied by robem and took my time to mark where the holes would be drilled to attach the dowels and the fastener with the fiberglass in between. Mine didn't come out perfect but it was good enough.

I get to do it again, after crashing the bike!!

I ordered the Sharkskinz stay from robem and it was literally the exact same as the flexiglass when it arrived. But my main question was if you used the dowel thingies from robem or if you used a different solution. 

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, WhiteJesusRides said:

I ordered the Sharkskinz stay from robem and it was literally the exact same as the flexiglass when it arrived. But my main question was if you used the dowel thingies from robem or if you used a different solution. 

Yes I used the dowels from robem, I also used robem's access to the file to download from the thingyverse and had a buddy 3D print a few pieces that were all longer than robem's version. That way , I had more room to maneuver the fairing side stays  to where they wanted to be before drilling to make them a fixed location. There not very strong, Iv'e broken some already with the crash,but they work. I think @Evill_Ed printed up some made out of nylon which I believe to be a better product. I cant say for sure, but I think he did. I have to get a 3D printer and start messing around this winter.

16 hours ago, WhiteJesusRides said:

I ordered the Sharkskinz stay from robem and it was literally the exact same as the flexiglass when it arrived.

They say that they are not the same! I on't know, I do know is that sharkskinz give you no central mounting point on the upper for the upper fairing stay. I qoute Fred from sharkskinz when I asked about mounting the fairing "You have a journey ahead of you, good luck." They won't recommend anything as they don't make any fairing stays anymore. In reality they have moved on to the R7 and RS660's which are more popular right now in the twins class.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/31/2021 at 5:40 AM, Evill_Ed said:

Hey JB, welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your pictures.  It looks like the bottom and right side of your Akra hits the belly pan.  YourAkra can looks thicker than the original all Ti Akra,( it could be the angle of the pictures ) There may be less interference with our Akra pipes, but some clearancing / glass mods will be necessary.  I love the sound and performance of my Akra, also it is tucked in nicely and hasnt touched the ground in a crash.  I intend to keep it and make it work.

EdIMG-7949.thumb.jpg.f86d26549573dc6e6d7de5a9875408f3.jpg

I realize this is a pretty old post..... I recently started racing my FZ-07 in "naked" trim, and I most likely will continue to do so next season as well. I'm currently running a "flat-track" plate on the front. I'm looking to cut the air a bit more next season. Where did you source front fairing/body on your bike? We have nearly the same bike (based on pictures). 

I recently did what looks to be the same Woodcraft clip-on adapter plate as you. I did the 1.5" rise, as I have neck issues that prevent me from racing a "proper" race bike. I haven't tried it on track yet, but it feels pretty good in my garage 😆... I just switched from the Renthal "ultra-low" bars. My only concern, is if the bike were to high-side/tumble, the gauge cluster is pretty vulnerable to being destroyed. Have you had any "Oh-$hit" moments with this set-up????

I'm very interested in cloning your front fairing.... Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks-

Naked CRA.JPG

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I realize this is a pretty old post..... I recently started racing my FZ-07 in "naked" trim, and I most likely will continue to do so next season as well. I'm currently running a "flat-track" plate on the front. I'm looking to cut the air a bit more next season. Where did you source front fairing/body on your bike? We have nearly the same bike (based on pictures). 

I recently did what looks to be the same Woodcraft clip-on adapter plate as you. I did the 1.5" rise, as I have neck issues that prevent me from racing a "proper" race bike. I haven't tried it on track yet, but it feels pretty good in my garage 😆... I just switched from the Renthal "ultra-low" bars. My only concern, is if the bike were to high-side/tumble, the gauge cluster is pretty vulnerable to being destroyed. Have you had any "Oh-$hit" moments with this set-up????

I'm very interested in cloning your front fairing.... Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks-

Naked CRA.JPG

See this thread.

I got the FZ09 fairing from S2 Concepts. https://www.s2-concept.com/en/17646-tete-de-fourche-roadster-cup-mt09.html

I had to modify the top bracket they provided and make a lower mount. PM me for details if you need help.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
Just now, Evill_Ed said:

See this thread.

I got the FZ09 fairing from S2 Concepts. https://www.s2-concept.com/en/17646-tete-de-fourche-roadster-cup-mt09.html

I had to modify the top bracket they provided and make a lower mount. PM me for details if you need help.

Ed

PERFECT!!!!! Thanks so much! I'll be adding this over the winter 😎

• Like 1