The MT-07 Forum

sharkskinz fairings + Akra-ti

fzar

• Premium Member

Anyone know somebody who has ran an Akra-ti exhaust with sharkskinz fairings? Or seen one in working order? I have the Akra-ti setup on my bike and i'm not sure if there will be enough clearance with the belly pan. I intend on getting the old doll dressed  up for racing next year, I contacted  Ionemoto  the maker of the fairings and Fred over their responded with "it's impossible to say" . 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hey Dave, I do notbknow the answer to your question,  but I have the same one. I am considering full race glass for my FZ and I also have the Akra Ti. Our exhaust are tucked up high and tight, so I dont think there will be any issues with belly pan clearance. You will need to cut/trim the belly pan on the right side for the exhaust exit with any header.

@Cornerslider fit an Airtech belly pan, which would be very similar to a lower fairing,  to his FZ with an Akra Ti, He oly had pictures of the left side, but it's a point of reference that it should be doable  

Ed

• Like 3

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

M. Hausknecht

I suspect very much that the Sharkskinz/iOnemoto lower will accommodate the Akra Ti pipe and canister.  The bodywork is based closely on Mike Verdugo's original design first available from AP. I have AP bodywork with a Yosh carbon exhaust system and fit is close but not a problem. In any event, it won't be far off; you might need to do a little trimming  where the canister peaks out from under the motor but its fiberglass, so easy-peasy. If you're going to race a full-fairing bike, you'll need to learn to repair busted fiberglass eventually....😃

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 12/11/2021 at 5:09 AM, Evill_Ed said:

Hey Dave, I do notbknow the answer to your question,  but I have the same one. I am considering full race glass for my FZ and I also have the Akra Ti. Our exhaust are tucked up high and tight, so I dont think there will be any issues with belly pan clearance. You will need to cut/trim the belly pan on the right side for the exhaust exit with any header.

@Cornerslider fit an Airtech belly pan, which would be very similar to a lower fairing,  to his FZ with an Akra Ti, He oly had pictures of the left side, but it's a point of reference that it should be doable  

Ed

The only difference is that cornerslider had to make his own mounting brackets, so he had room to move it around some. The glass fairings have 1 mounting point on each side of the bike and the fairing stay up front, which to that the belly pan part is attached by Dzeus clips. I'll give ionemoto a call tomorrow and see what's up, probably put in the order and see what happens. I'll be needed help along the way, so I'll be asking for guidance, pity I wasn't closer, it would be cool to get you @Evill_Ed to put a few coats of PPG paint on the Glass. (lol) IIRC that's what you guys were talking about, ?

Dave.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, fzar said:

The only difference is that cornerslider had to make his own mounting brackets, so he had room to move it around some. The glass fairings have 1 mounting point on each side of the bike and the fairing stay up front, which to that the belly pan part is attached by Dzeus clips. I'll give ionemoto a call tomorrow and see what's up, probably put in the order and see what happens. I'll be needed help along the way, so I'll be asking for guidance, pity I wasn't closer, it would be cool to get you @Evill_Ed to put a few coats of PPG paint on the Glass. (lol) IIRC that's what you guys were talking about, ?

Dave.

It'll work..... We'll Make It Work...... That's what we do!

Not Sure if I'm gonna go with paint (PPG) or vinyl wrap it again. I've been very happy with the look and performance of the vinyl.

I'm considering the Flexi-glass kit that Robem offers with his mounts.

Ed

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

It'll work..... We'll Make It Work...... That's what we do!

Not Sure if I'm gonna go with paint (PPG) or vinyl wrap it again. I've been very happy with the look and performance of the vinyl.

I'm considering the Flexi-glass kit that Robem offers with his mounts.

Ed

Yeah, I'll make it work for sure. I also looked at the Robem's offering of flexi-glass fairings, but they have an opening leftside of center of the nose of the fairing for what I imagine was going to be the ram-air that got crumpled up and thrown in the can by Moto America. I don't know if this is still the case or if they have changed that since. I haven't contacted them to find out, Yet!

Another thing I was looking at was the available replacement pieces @ ionemoto you can buy sections of the  race skinz as @mossrider said before the "A la Carte menu" e.g seat section, tank, upper, lower etc. The flexi-glass looks like a better finish overall to me, simpler in design which I like personally. In reality I've no idea how either would work so I'm guessing but something will have to be done soon on my part to get the ball rolling. Here's a link with photos.

Dave.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  New to the forum.  I race FZs.

No, alas, the Akra Ti will NOT fit with the AP / Sharkskinz bodywork.  At least not as far as I took it.  My belly pan was already cut to install the original Yoshi R6 Alpha can (which I trashed and was replacing with the Akra), and even with that, it didn't fit perfectly on the exit; and was too fat for the belly pan; and pretty much nearly rubbed the tire.  Perhaps, someone with more skills than us could make it fit, but I think that it would require setting up a really low mount for the bodywork. 

I ended up going back with the original set up: FZ Yoshi header and a replacement R6 Alpha can.  (Which I then trashed the following weekend at Barber when it was brand new...sheesh.).  So now I'm rebuilding that, again. lol

Pics attached.

Also: I forget by how much exactly, but the Akra is massively more heavy than my current Yoshi set up -- I think 7-8 lbs more.  It looked awesome, but, dang, that's a lot heavier.

The place I bought it would not take it as a return, even though it was never used, so I actually have it available if someone wants to give it a go.  I would be my first choice for an MT street bike. (Yes, I understand that rules about newbies posting for sales here.  But it's on the WERA forum, if you want it.) 

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

Edited by jb.junior
Grammar; improvements.
  • Like 3

On 12/13/2021 at 6:12 PM, fzar said:

Yeah, I'll make it work for sure. I also looked at the Robem's offering of flexi-glass fairings, but they have an opening leftside of center of the nose of the fairing for what I imagine was going to be the ram-air that got crumpled up and thrown in the can by Moto America. I don't know if this is still the case or if they have changed that since. I haven't contacted them to find out, Yet!

Another thing I was looking at was the available replacement pieces @ ionemoto you can buy sections of the  race skinz as @mossrider said before the "A la Carte menu" e.g seat section, tank, upper, lower etc. The flexi-glass looks like a better finish overall to me, simpler in design which I like personally. In reality I've no idea how either would work so I'm guessing but something will have to be done soon on my part to get the ball rolling. Here's a link with photos.

Dave.

Hi.  I like the Flexiglass as well, and that's what I'm planning on going with for my new/rebuild for 2022.  I'd like a change from the AP look that I've had since 2020, though it held up well.  The Flexiglass looks "cooler" and a little sleeker, in my opinion, and I like the bigger (ZX10) windscreen.  The downsides, as I see them, is, 1) less "real estate" for decals / design sponsorship ads on the FG vs. Skark; 2) less engine protection -- the engine covers are exposed, whereas the Shark has them covered.  My plan to assuage this risk is to get some both Woodcraft and RG covers to seal 'er up.

Yes, the hole on the left is meant for a ram air.  The guy who makes them, Trev, says that he's getting a bike in the shop ASAP to start getting the rams made, and will have them by Daytona (March).  I'm pretty sure that it requires the use of the factory airbox, though.  (Mine is currently the MotoAmerica-legal OEM box cut in half, and using the Hord filter kit.  So I need to make the call on what I'm going to do.  I want to try the ram, but I need to get this bike dyno'd and tuned how I'm going to race it by February, as I have a lot of "preseason" races planned.)

I was of the understanding that MotoAmerica indeed did allow ram air scoops?  I know of two bikes / competitors for sure who ran them; at least in 2020.  Let me know if that's not the case.

Either way, Trev says that he can make one without the ram hole.  He seems like a good guy and responds quickly.

Edited by jb.junior
words
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, jb.junior said:

Hi.  New to the forum.  I race FZs.

No, alas, the Akra Ti will NOT fit with the AP / Sharkskinz bodywork.  At least not as far as I took it.  My belly pan was already cut to install the original Yoshi R6 Alpha can (which I trashed and was replacing with the Akra), and even with that, it didn't fit perfectly on the exit; and was too fat for the belly pan; and pretty much nearly rubbed the tire.  Perhaps, someone with more skills than us could make it fit, but I think that it would require setting up a really low mount for the bodywork. 

I ended up going back with the original set up: FZ Yoshi header and a replacement R6 Alpha can.  (Which I then trashed the following weekend at Barber when it was brand new...sheesh.).  So now I'm rebuilding that, again. lol

Pics attached.

Also: I forget by how much exactly, but the Akra is massively more heavy than my current Yoshi set up -- I think 7-8 lbs more.  It looked awesome, but, dang, that's a lot heavier.

The place I bought it would not take it as a return, even though it was never used, so I actually have it available if someone wants to give it a go.  I would be my first choice for an MT street bike. (Yes, I understand that rules about newbies posting for sales here.  But it's on the WERA forum, if you want it.) 

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

9 hours ago, jb.junior said:

Last one.

IMG_2575.jpg

Hey JB, welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your pictures.  It looks like the bottom and right side of your Akra hits the belly pan.  YourAkra can looks thicker than the original all Ti Akra,( it could be the angle of the pictures ) There may be less interference with our Akra pipes, but some clearancing / glass mods will be necessary.  I love the sound and performance of my Akra, also it is tucked in nicely and hasnt touched the ground in a crash.  I intend to keep it and make it work.

EdIMG-7949.thumb.jpg.f86d26549573dc6e6d7de5a9875408f3.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Hey JB, welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your pictures.  It looks like the bottom and right side of your Akra hits the belly pan.  YourAkra can looks thicker than the original all Ti Akra,( it could be the angle of the pictures ) There may be less interference with our Akra pipes, but some clearancing / glass mods will be necessary.  I love the sound and performance of my Akra, also it is tucked in nicely and hasnt touched the ground in a crash.  I intend to keep it and make it work.

EdIMG-7949.thumb.jpg.f86d26549573dc6e6d7de5a9875408f3.jpg

Hi.  Thanks!  Yeah, looks like we have a different model and that yours is a little more "sleek."  Glad you like it!  I'm definitely going back to the Yoshi header + Yoshi R6 can combo; mostly for weight.  I already have the Akra boxed back up and for sale in a couple of places.

Edited by jb.junior
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

This is interesting, for some reason I couldn't get the site up for 3-4 days some cloud error thing. I'm just going to have to see whats what as its already ordered (fairings) and see!

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Dave.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, fzar said:

This is interesting, for some reason I couldn't get the site up for 3-4 days some cloud error thing. I'm just going to have to see whats what as its already ordered (fairings) and see!

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Dave.

The site was down for a few days. 

Let me know how things fit when you get your bodywork

Happy New Year

Ed

• Premium Member

So I ordered my Flexi-Glass Bodywork this week. Trevor seems like a great guy, knowledgeable and answered all my questions without hesitation. He should start making my kit next week. He said I was the 3rd guy this week from the US lookig for FZ-07 Bodywork.

I also received my Robem Engineering Mounting kit. Extremely nice quality as usual and super fast shipping and delivery. 

2022 Mods are getting ready to begin

1639524872_RobemFlexiglass.thumb.jpg.59c76b7e2ab083460567ae18474739f9.jpgin.

Ed

• Like 3

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 12/11/2021 at 5:09 AM, Evill_Ed said:

Ed

I didn't realize I was part of this post.... Akrapovic made 2 versions the Ti version. the "standard" is thinner/sleeker. The version with the Carbon Fiber tip, is a totally different version. It's "thicker", (and maybe heavier?) than the standard version. The "standard" Akra Ti is pretty easy to trim bodywork to fit. I had to do VERY minimal trimming to fit the Airtech bellypan, and I'm happy with the net result 😎

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
On 1/6/2022 at 4:55 PM, Evill_Ed said:

So I ordered my Flexi-Glass Bodywork this week. Trevor seems like a great guy, knowledgeable and answered all my questions without hesitation. He should start making my kit next week. He said I was the 3rd guy this week from the US lookig for FZ-07 Bodywork.

I also received my Robem Engineering Mounting kit. Extremely nice quality as usual and super fast shipping and delivery. 

2022 Mods are getting ready to begin

1639524872_RobemFlexiglass.thumb.jpg.59c76b7e2ab083460567ae18474739f9.jpgin.

Ed

Looking good, I have the same fairing mounts. Hey @Evill_Ed are your fairing mounting dowels pre-drilled for lock pins?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, fzar said:

Looking good, I have the same fairing mounts. Hey @Evill_Ed are your fairing mounting dowels pre-drilled for lock pins?

Not sure, I haven't looked at them too closely yet, still in the  packing. 

I ordered my Woodcraft clip ons today too.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/6/2022 at 4:55 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Any word on delivery date @Evill_Ed

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, fzar said:

Any word on delivery date @Evill_Ed

Yes it arrived last Thursday. It  is some of the nicest quality glass that I have seen so far. 
Ed

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Yes it arrived last Thursday. It  is some of the nicest quality glass that I have seen so far. 
Ed

I dropped ionemoto (sharkskinz) an email this morning in regards to my order status, it being 7 weeks exactly and they said 6-8 weeks. I was informed by a sales staff member that its at least another 4 weeks before it'll be shipped. When I asked why they told me that the whole building got covid in January and lost the entire month and that they are doing their best to catch up! I gave condolences about contracting covid, but I really was a little stunned and mad at the level of professionalism or lack thereof and the fact now I can't race in Houston in the CMRA first round. (it's a lot of work to get the bike and I ready)  I mean why wouldn't you let me know when it happened so I could try to make other arrangements??? Or say yeah cool I'm in no rush, just let me know. At least give me a heads up! No!

I politely asked why they had not informed their (customer) with pending completion, but fully paid for order about this? Their response was. They try to communicate with everyone but with covid, raw material supply delays, and Racing Season it's been complicated. This information I got at 5PM tonight after a day of back and forth emails as they were really avoiding all responsibility. They offered a full refund. I haven't responded yet as I'm trying to think how to approach this logistically and at the least amount of cost to me. 

BTW they've been cranking out R7 fairings and stays like crazy all through the month of January, I did some research on social media. I get it, I'm way less important that the likes of Westby Racing who the make stuff for and all the other race teams running a pro season this year especially with the arrival of the R7.

Rant over,

Dave.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Here’s some more:

ACFF071E-AB6A-4BCE-B3CB-320517F424FF.jpeg

B893901B-C88A-49B7-B6A7-1614EA2AE72D.jpeg

I was wondering if @mossrider or anyone else who has knowledge @M. Hausknecht @cosp600rrcould chime in here. The problem I have is that under the bikes own weight the belly pan isn't exactly level front to back, its 12mm lower at the back, Is that a problem? Other than the exhaust sitting right on the belly pan, I'm adding heat shield to help with that problem.

By the way the jack stands have about 2 mm play from side to side.

Thanks,

Dave.

• Like 1

Bah! 1/2"? 

I remember my first time too...😘...sorry lost focus

Seriously, never matter. Fairings are all different in how they hang, droop, sag, wobble, sorry drifting again. It'll burn paint too show you where it is too close, then Dremel it out, blister patch, rock on. And don't be afraid to scribe a line around that ex can and cut that glass back some. Use some foil backed heat tape where it obviously touching. Have fun with it and don't get too attached to it since you/someone's gonna yard sale it anyway.

Then we can fix it. 

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:43 PM, fzar said:

Here’s some more:

ACFF071E-AB6A-4BCE-B3CB-320517F424FF.jpeg

B893901B-C88A-49B7-B6A7-1614EA2AE72D.jpeg

I was wondering if @mossrider or anyone else who has knowledge @M. Hausknecht @cosp600rrcould chime in here. The problem I have is that under the bikes own weight the belly pan isn't exactly level front to back, its 12mm lower at the back, Is that a problem? Other than the exhaust sitting right on the belly pan, I'm adding heat shield to help with that problem.

By the way the jack stands have about 2 mm play from side to side.

Thanks,

Dave.

I actually think all the Sharkskins FZ-07 bodywork sits lower in the back than the front. Even the one on their website looks to be that way. Seams pretty normal to me. I agree with Mossriders assessment of the exhaust is spot on also. It will let you know if/where its too close then you can modify as needed.

• Thanks 1