The MT-07 Forum

Steering damper setups

Tpadden

Looking for ideas on a good steering damper setup (mount/damper) for the race bike.  I’m currently running the sharkskins/ionemoto fairing stay.  Pic for attention.  Thanks!

03FE0FE5-C36F-47B7-A61C-F2BE6F099507.jpeg

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

I run AP's front fairing mount. It has a mounting boss for the steering damper. Does the sharkskins/ionemoto mount also have one? If so, I'm using this:

steering-Damper-unit-1.jpg

The Universal Linear Steering Damper has a 70mm stroke and is fully adjustable and can be adjusted in 24 positions to help you find best...

Works just fine and price is reasonable. And then a clamp for the end that attaches to the fork tube; 41 mm ID.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 12/10/2021 at 7:32 AM, M. Hausknecht said:

I run AP's front fairing mount. It has a mounting boss for the steering damper. Does the sharkskins/ionemoto mount also have one? If so, I'm using this:

steering-Damper-unit-1.jpg

The Universal Linear Steering Damper has a 70mm stroke and is fully adjustable and can be adjusted in 24 positions to help you find best...

Works just fine and price is reasonable. And then a clamp for the end that attaches to the fork tube; 41 mm ID.

I have this setup ready to be installed with @Spatt robem engineering fairing stay. Just about to start the conversion soon.

On 12/12/2021 at 5:07 PM, fzar said:

I have this setup ready to be installed with @Spatt robem engineering fairing stay. Just about to start the conversion soon.

I'd stay away from the knock off Brembo dampers. 

Its only cheap until you cant service it.

• Like 2

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

• Premium Member
On 12/9/2021 at 5:14 PM, Tpadden said:

Looking for ideas on a good steering damper setup (mount/damper) for the race bike.  I’m currently running the sharkskins/ionemoto fairing stay.  Pic for attention.  Thanks!

03FE0FE5-C36F-47B7-A61C-F2BE6F099507.jpeg

You have a side stand on your bike, I didn't think that was allowed by sanctioning race organisations? Just an observation.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive the darkness and the missmatched bodywork. Been updating the look this week with a new lower and the R7 tail and a Robem engineering R7 subframe. But as you can see the bodywork fits over the damper and doesnt cause any issues.

IMG_20211230_175758487.jpg

• Like 2

Ohlins damper for me.  Mounted on the Robem fairing stay.  I'd measure it and take pics for you, but it's in a box about to be sent for rebuild / refurbish.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, cosp600rr said:

Forgive the darkness and the missmatched bodywork. Been updating the look this week with a new lower and the R7 tail and a Robem engineering R7 subframe. But as you can see the bodywork fits over the damper and doesnt cause any issues.

IMG_20211230_175758487.jpg

The R7 tail lookks really good.  What bodywork is the front upper and lower fairings?

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

1 hour ago, Evill_Ed said:

The R7 tail lookks really good.  What bodywork is the front upper and lower fairings?

Ed

Upper, sides and seat are 17+ R6, tank and lower are FZ-07. Previously had an R6 tail on it also but really wanted the R7 tail. Last 2 years color scheme. 

IMG_20200607_094833536_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

That looks really sharp. I like the color scheme, mine is Red , White and Black too. 

Thanks for the bodywork info.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

On 12/30/2021 at 7:55 PM, cosp600rr said:

I have a side mount to frame on mine. It fits under the fairings.

IMG_20200905_112601224.jpg

@cosp600rr can you give me more detail about this setup? I'm trying to keep the cockpit open so this side mount setup would be a good alternative for me. Where did you get the fork bracket/damper? Looks like a custom weld for the frame support, any detail on that would be great. I don't have the resources to weld so I'd have to explain all this to a local shop.

5 hours ago, FZBSNY said:

Where did you get the fork bracket/damper? Looks like a custom weld for the frame support, any detail on that would be great. I don't have the resources to weld so I'd have to explain all this to a local shop.

Fork bracket you can use generic 41mm clamp.

I did same thing on Aarons bike but on other side. Made another simple bracket for other end and it is bolted to existing holes on frame. Damper sits closer to the bike under tank cover and fork clamp is turned inside fork tube. It does require relocating ECU or turning it flat. 

Edited by twf
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, FZBSNY said:

@cosp600rr can you give me more detail about this setup? I'm trying to keep the cockpit open so this side mount setup would be a good alternative for me. Where did you get the fork bracket/damper? Looks like a custom weld for the frame support, any detail on that would be great. I don't have the resources to weld so I'd have to explain all this to a local shop.

Its a factory tab. You may need to relocate whatever is mounted there now. 

IMG_20190213_172645.jpg.c31568210777c78c00e179da4cb9f68d.jpg

On 1/6/2022 at 2:33 AM, twf said:

Fork bracket you can use generic 41mm clamp.

I did same thing on Aarons bike but on other side. Made another simple bracket for other end and it is bolted to existing holes on frame. Damper sits closer to the bike under tank cover and fork clamp is turned inside fork tube. It does require relocating ECU or turning it flat. 

Great, thank you for the details @twf and @cosp600rr. Do you know the model of the damper itself? or at least the length? 

• Like 1

The one I used I think is shindy brand. Don't remember length, think around 100mm or so.

Length will depend where you mount it. Where I did needs less then where other one is simply because it is inside instead outside fork tube.

You can go to parts unlimited site, they have all kind dampers and brackets 

• Like 2

The numbers I can see on mine are SD0032 145211. Its an Ohlins Damper. Not sure if that helps at all but cant get a measurement right now on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

You guys are way ahead of me in the building department. I'll just look at the work and use the photo's as reference points when I need direction in my build.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/9/2021 at 5:14 PM, Tpadden said:

I’m currently running the sharkskins/ionemoto fairing stay.

What version do you have? I'm asking out of curiosity as I'm running into some issues.

Dave.

Just now, fzar said:

What version do you have? I'm asking out of curiosity as I'm running into some issues.

Dave.

Fairings are gen 1 (so I’ve been told), I’m not sure if they have changed their stays but it’s the type with ears that support on either side of the windscreen. 

Thinking I’m gonna go with a shindy mounted to the frame similar to what TWF posted. Waiting to get the bike back from the shop getting some other mods done.