The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 ECU flash and custom dyno

BruceWayne911

BruceWayne911

Has anybody here ECU flashed and custom dyno-ed tune there MT-07? Did you see a significant power increase? Is it worth it? 

Next year in April I plan on upgrading the suspension and adding a quick-shifter. I love my MT-07 I may never part with bike.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

There are many many posts related to your inquiries, and folks here better equipped to address them than me, but here goes. With a bone stock motor (including stock airbox and exhaust) there is little extra horsepower to be obtained by either a flash or a custom tune using a Power Commander or similar. Either will eliminate the stock ECU's restrictions and richen up  a smidgen the low rpm, overly lean condition necessitated by emissions requirements. Bumping up the ignition timing, if you're willing to run more than 87 octane, should yield a couple horsepower at most. Once you make changes that improve the motors ability to breathe, however, a suitable reflash or a dyno-based custom tune is necessary to see the improved volumetric efficiency result in additional torque (which means horsepower).

Personally, if I was going to remove the stock airbox, add a Hordpower intake and an aftermarket exhaust, I'd go with a good quality reflash and be happy with the 6-8 horsepower increase. I wouldn't bother with the considerably more costly dyno-based custom tune because there is little to no additional power to be obtained with a custom tune; a good flash intended for a stock motor with your intake and exhaust improvements will get you 98% of the way there.

If your motor is more modified than a good intake and exhaust (one or more of pistons, cams, head porting, larger throttle-bodies, etc.), I'm not aware of suitable flashes so I've gone with an after-market ECU, wide-band O2 sensor, and a dyno-based custom tune. The auto-tune capabilities of some after-market ECUs seem able to create decent fuel maps, so if you're only looking to get "close enough" for riding on the street and an occasional track day, you can get by without spending hours (and $) on a dyno-based tune.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

@BruceWayne911 Did you ever end up getting a tune? I just got a 2021 MT07 and am putting a Yoshi R77 on it. Im considering power commander tune but I will browse the forum. This was my first topic stop lol. Thank you 

• Like 1

BruceWayne911
Just now, Twizz27 said:

@BruceWayne911 Did you ever end up getting a tune? I just got a 2021 MT07 and am putting a Yoshi R77 on it. Im considering power commander tune but I will browse the forum. This was my first topic stop lol. Thank you 

I think its better if you just do a ECU flash with a tune, skip the power commander. Thats what I did.